Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dented on Thu 24/Apr/14 9:21pm

Farm wrote:
Farm wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:
Farm wrote:I can't find a serial number on my Singular Gryphon. Is it somewhere weird or do they not have them?
I messaged and emailed Singular but haven't heard back.

Did you buy it from Torpedo7?

No, second hand about a year ago. It hasn't been ground off or anything, the frame is still pristine around the BB area.

I just heard back from the guy at Singular. It should be on the bottom of the BB shell. I'm out of town so will have to have a better look when I get home.
Maybe it has been covered up well. :crazy: Seemed legit when I bought it. More likely I'm a bit blind.

I stripped the paint off a frame yesterday, and I didnt think it had a serial number until the paint was off it. Paint was nice and thick and obviously just filled up into the stampings as to make it invisible.
dented
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Thu 24/Apr/14 10:52pm

gumby wrote:
Conners wrote:
gumby wrote:It's the step of the der cage sides, you can exceed the recommended maximum difference but the upshift takes more cable pull.

Really? I'd have thought cable pull = mostly lateral movement (not so much vertical).

For me exceeding it by 2 teeth upshift requires the cage to be out to the extreme and full lever stroke, the cage has to travel further to a farther point on whatever it's arc.

Also the cage design - length, depth, width - differ depending on the original intended gear range. Sometimes the shifting reliefs/steps in the side of the cage are 2-3mm deep so if the chain is missed by them the cage has to move that 2-3mm extra. Some short cages the chain will drag over the rear link between the cage sides in all sorts of gears, so even if they can shift they are a noisy pain.
Oli
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby Oli on Thu 24/Apr/14 11:31pm

This is the answer. :thumbsup:

Oli
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 25/Apr/14 8:31am

shimaingo :love:
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby RugbySucks on Fri 25/Apr/14 9:13am

The integrated cable stop is a great feature !
RugbySucks
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby charliehopkins on Fri 25/Apr/14 10:29am

Do Jagwire, Union, KoolStop etc pads actually work as well as authentic pads? Also, what are the advantages of metallic or organic? currently running elixirs
charliehopkins
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Fri 25/Apr/14 11:28am

Is possible to reshim a fox rp23 to have a much more pronounced difference between open and locked out?

The tune I've got currently isn't as stiff in the closed position as I want it to be. My Double's a crap climber and wanna make it a lot stiffer for longer climbs but still be able to open it up fully for the downs... Who would I send to to get it custom tuned?

Cheers all! :thumbsup:
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby el_booto on Fri 25/Apr/14 12:01pm

Send it to blue shark, your lbs will be able to assist with this
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby dented on Fri 25/Apr/14 12:50pm

charliehopkins wrote:Do Jagwire, Union, KoolStop etc pads actually work as well as authentic pads? Also, what are the advantages of metallic or organic? currently running elixirs

Sorry to hear that.
Prepare for the incoming suggestions of a Shimano Upgrade kit for those brakes.
dented
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby gumby on Fri 25/Apr/14 1:42pm

mudlover/hater wrote:Is possible to reshim a fox rp23 to have a much more pronounced difference between open and locked out?

The tune I've got currently isn't as stiff in the closed position as I want it to be. My Double's a crap climber and wanna make it a lot stiffer for longer climbs but still be able to open it up fully for the downs... Who would I send to to get it custom tuned?

Cheers all! :thumbsup:

I'd talk to Rick http://www.krankin.co.nz
gumby
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 25/Apr/14 1:57pm

Definitely blueshark for a tune dude, just got a CTD back from there and it's the best feeling rear shock I've ever had. Told em exactly what i wanted and it came back feeling bang on.

Take it to your LBS and get an HTFU tune
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 25/Apr/14 3:27pm

charliehopkins wrote:Do Jagwire, Union, KoolStop etc pads actually work as well as authentic pads? Also, what are the advantages of metallic or organic? currently running elixirs
I would either run the stock manufacturer pads, or Vesrah. Metallic generally last longer (especially in the wet) and IMO have a better feel (less bite-y feel but more power I reckon), but also are usually noisier. Doesn't worry me though, noisy brakes let people know I'm coming
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby mudlover/hater on Fri 25/Apr/14 4:02pm

shmoodiver wrote:Definitely blueshark for a tune dude, just got a CTD back from there and it's the best feeling rear shock I've ever had. Told em exactly what i wanted and it came back feeling bang on.

Take it to your LBS and get an HTFU tune

Cheers shmoo (and El boot)...

Just so I know what I'm in for, how much do you think I'd be looking at ballpark spending on such an upgrade?
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby el_booto on Fri 25/Apr/14 4:29pm

Full service and retune is $150-160 OTMH
At least that's what I charge where I work

It would depend on how nice your lbs are
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 0 months