Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby mudlover/hater on Tue 22/Apr/14 2:22pm

Slim wrote:
tanadog wrote:
I have to ask though, was this ring on the bike you did Kiwi Brevet on?


did the GSB on this one, and most of my riding over the summer - so yeah probably upwards of 3k kms, but the GSB was just spinning (or walking) :) . Been through 3 chains & 1 cassettes with this ring, so maybe it is ok

It's meshed ok with the new chain, but very noisy under load. I might just swap to my 34T until the rest of the drive chain wears a bit.....



I'd suggest that if you got 3000km out of a NW single ring, you should be happy.

Most people we talk to that are complaining about life on a chainring are getting 5-800km.


5km?! Completely unacceptable!! :p
mudlover/hater
User avatar
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Mr_Bob on Tue 22/Apr/14 5:33pm

philstar wrote:
Mr_Bob wrote:24 hole front disc hubs.
(Converting a lefty to a standard 9/20mm hub) are there any options out there? - to take standard J bend spokes.
Yep, I realize that it's a long shot


FSA did make one, bur when trying to find out more about mine I could not find anything on it so don't know if they still do.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I've got a similar wheelset, I'll flick them an email and see
Mr_Bob
User avatar
"Pedal!"
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Tue 22/Apr/14 5:53pm

mudlover/hater wrote:
Slim wrote:
tanadog wrote:
I have to ask though, was this ring on the bike you did Kiwi Brevet on?


did the GSB on this one, and most of my riding over the summer - so yeah probably upwards of 3k kms, but the GSB was just spinning (or walking) :) . Been through 3 chains & 1 cassettes with this ring, so maybe it is ok

It's meshed ok with the new chain, but very noisy under load. I might just swap to my 34T until the rest of the drive chain wears a bit.....



I'd suggest that if you got 3000km out of a NW single ring, you should be happy.

Most people we talk to that are complaining about life on a chainring are getting 5-800km.



5km?! Completely unacceptable!! :p

Initially I thought '500km - you gotta be completely shitting me'.

But given a particularly nasty Karapoti can chew out a standard drivetrain, then I guess it's all relative.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby kavika on Tue 22/Apr/14 7:10pm

Recently purchased my first CX bike, and getting it set up a little better for tackling the hills (Whites Bay to Picton via Port Underwood for those who know the area). At present I run 46/36 and 11-28, but struggle on the steeper sections, and legs die on these as the ride progresses. Anyone got advice on what gearing setup to run? Was thinking 32T, and a Shimano (can't find a SRAM) 12-30. Whats the max I could run on the short cage whilst keeping the same big ring?. Alternatively keeping the rings the same, but run a 11-36 on the back (would a mid cage work here?)

Cheers,
Dave
kavika
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Mr_Bob on Wed 23/Apr/14 10:23am

kavika wrote:Recently purchased my first CX bike, and getting it set up a little better for tackling the hills (Whites Bay to Picton via Port Underwood for those who know the area). At present I run 46/36 and 11-28, but struggle on the steeper sections, and legs die on these as the ride progresses. Anyone got advice on what gearing setup to run? Was thinking 32T, and a Shimano (can't find a SRAM) 12-30. Whats the max I could run on the short cage whilst keeping the same big ring?. Alternatively keeping the rings the same, but run a 11-36 on the back (would a mid cage work here?)

Cheers,
Dave

What model of rear derailleur are you using?
Example: a shimano 6700 Ultegra short cage has a maximum of a 28 tooth rear, but a 6700A will take up to a 30 tooth on the rear
Mr_Bob
User avatar
"Pedal!"
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Mel on Wed 23/Apr/14 10:43am

kavika wrote:Recently purchased my first CX bike, and getting it set up a little better for tackling the hills (Whites Bay to Picton via Port Underwood for those who know the area). At present I run 46/36 and 11-28, but struggle on the steeper sections, and legs die on these as the ride progresses. Anyone got advice on what gearing setup to run? Was thinking 32T, and a Shimano (can't find a SRAM) 12-30. Whats the max I could run on the short cage whilst keeping the same big ring?. Alternatively keeping the rings the same, but run a 11-36 on the back (would a mid cage work here?)

Cheers,
Dave

9 or 10 sp?

You could run a 34 tooth ring up front if you've got a compact road crankset (don't think a 32T will fit that BCD, unless you have a MTB crankset, then the 32T would work). That would increase your gearing range quite a bit. Sram do cassettes up to 32T and 34T in 9 sp and 36T in 10sp, but you may need a longer cage rear derailleur to handle the wider range of gears (depends what you've got and what gearing you choose).

Your local bike shop should be able to sort all of this out for you. :)
Mel
User avatar
Member for: 20 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby kavika on Wed 23/Apr/14 12:27pm

Sorry, should have known I needed to give that info. It's running 10sp SRAM Apex (Specialized Crux). Not intending to race, so mainly hope make it more user friendly on the hills. Local bike shop don't seem too sure as to what max cassette size I can run before I need to change the derailleur (too hard basket by the sound of it).

Cheers
kavika
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby wachtourak on Wed 23/Apr/14 12:33pm

Apex goes up to a 32T cog I believe









Speaking of derailleurs, Shimano 10sp road and mountain are different cable pull ratios right?
wachtourak
User avatar
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Mel on Wed 23/Apr/14 12:50pm

kavika wrote:Sorry, should have known I needed to give that info. It's running 10sp SRAM Apex (Specialized Crux). Not intending to race, so mainly hope make it more user friendly on the hills. Local bike shop don't seem too sure as to what max cassette size I can run before I need to change the derailleur (too hard basket by the sound of it).

Cheers

If the shop doesn't know, all they have to do is ring the distributor to find out. Or, you could visit/ring/email a different shop to get their help.
Mel
User avatar
Member for: 20 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby scatter on Wed 23/Apr/14 3:00pm

Not so much a mechanical issue but has anyone here used the Fibre Flare lights? Good? Chew through batteries? Tell me all about it :)
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 23/Apr/14 3:01pm

wachtourak wrote:Speaking of derailleurs, Shimano 10sp road and mountain are different cable pull ratios right?


yus, shimaingo road mechs work with all shifters except MTB 10spd ( dunno bout 11spd road or mtb tho )
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby sifter on Wed 23/Apr/14 3:29pm

scatter wrote:Not so much a mechanical issue but has anyone here used the Fibre Flare lights? Good? Chew through batteries? Tell me all about it :)


I like them, until they crap out, then they become a relatively expensive mistake. First one ended up in the wheel, and didn't survive. Second one seems to have got moisture in it, and has not survived festering over the last six months since last use.
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby wachtourak on Wed 23/Apr/14 4:04pm

shmoodiver wrote:
wachtourak wrote:Speaking of derailleurs, Shimano 10sp road and mountain are different cable pull ratios right?


yus, shimaingo road mechs work with all shifters except MTB 10spd ( dunno bout 11spd road or mtb tho )


Yeah, dammit thought so. I want a clutch derailleur on my cross bike (after putting one on my mtb my cross bike is loud and rattly in comparison if I get rowdy on it, Was thinking a Zee short cage woulda been the goods, but no luck..
wachtourak
User avatar
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby scatter on Wed 23/Apr/14 4:43pm

sifter wrote:
scatter wrote:Not so much a mechanical issue but has anyone here used the Fibre Flare lights? Good? Chew through batteries? Tell me all about it :)


I like them, until they crap out, then they become a relatively expensive mistake. First one ended up in the wheel, and didn't survive. Second one seems to have got moisture in it, and has not survived festering over the last six months since last use.


That's the info I'm after. Have you come across an alternative that does as good a job? I currently have a couple of small flashers on my seat stay hence why the FibreFlares are attractive.
scatter
User avatar
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Wobbler on Wed 23/Apr/14 4:56pm

wachtourak wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:
wachtourak wrote:Speaking of derailleurs, Shimano 10sp road and mountain are different cable pull ratios right?


yus, shimaingo road mechs work with all shifters except MTB 10spd ( dunno bout 11spd road or mtb tho )


Yeah, dammit thought so. I want a clutch derailleur on my cross bike (after putting one on my mtb my cross bike is loud and rattly in comparison if I get rowdy on it, Was thinking a Zee short cage woulda been the goods, but no luck..


cross bike so LOWD
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

71 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 70 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop

cron