Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby danose on Thu 5/Dec/13 1:38pm

dwgknz wrote:Moving to an Avid 180mm HS1, was struggling to find an Avid adaptor and wasn't sure whether to use a Shimano one due to the CPS issue. Going with an Avid spacer kit instead, can't find anythng bad about it, just thought it possiby may not be as stiff.

on the shimano 180mm adapter the linking section is so thin I doubt it makes a bit of difference to stiffness, just makes it a touch easier to install

I still prefer the old model shimano adaptor as it meant separate bolts holding mount to fork and caliper to mount - but that's just cos I've had one bad experience with stripped postmounts on a fork and prefer a mount where I can adjust the caliper on the mount and leave the bolts holding mount to fork alone

danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 10/Dec/13 11:51am

380mm track bars, 31.8 clamp... where!?!?!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby targnik on Wed 11/Dec/13 6:19pm

Please help!?

I've recently (3 months) purchased the below bike & I'm just wondering if I should upgrade any particular parts... I've highlighted in red - parts (I've read about) that others recommend be upgraded (+seat post - think an automated one would be boss)

Would like some expert opinion re, part upgrade(s)

PS - My better half has promised me a new mtb in 12 months if I regularly ride & shed a few kegs...

T.I.A

Bike: KHS Winslow 29er

Specs:

Speeds: 24-speed[
Frame: Alloy 6061 W/custom form dbl buted TT/DT W/replaceable derailleur hanger
Fork: SR XCM HLO, 100mm travel, hydraulic dampening, hydraulic lock out
Headset: Cane Creek, Threadless ZS44, 1-1/8
Rims: Weinmann XM25, Double wall, 29X32H
Hubs: F/R Alloy disc, QR, 14GX32H, CNC, cassette
Tires: Kenda small block 8, 29X2.1, 60 tpi
Spokes: 14G Black 32X32
Derailleur Front: Shimano Altus
Derailleur Rear: Shimano Acera
Shifters: Shimano Altus
Chain: KMC Z8
Crankset: SR Suntour 42/32/22T
BB: Catridge bearing
Freewheel/Cassette: Shimano CS-HG31 11-34T, 8-speed
Pedals: Wellgo resin platform
Seatpost: Alloy micro-adjust, 31.6X350mm
Saddle: KHS Sport
Handlebar: Alloy 31.8 680x25mm
Stem: Alloy, 7 degree 31.8
Grips: KHS Sport, Dual compound
Brake Levers: Alloy linear pull 2.5F
Brakes: Bengal Mechanical Disc, 160mm rotors
targnik
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 11/Dec/13 6:23pm

shmoodiver wrote:380mm track bars, 31.8 clamp... where!?!?!

how soon do you need?, soma do some
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 19 years 7 months

Postby Philthy on Wed 11/Dec/13 7:12pm

Hi Targnik,
Have you actually found anything wrong with any parts on the bike? In reality it is an entry level bike and as such it is perfect for someone just getting into biking, and will last a year or so of regular riding without giving any problems, but isn't really worth spending any money on upgrades. You'll be much better off saving your upgrade money to spend more on your next bike purchase - bike parts are always much better value when bought as part of a complete bike rather than individually.
There isn't actually anything wrong with those parts other than, perhaps, durability and weight. The are lots of forks you can buy which would be noticeably better to an experienced rider, but you can spend as much as what you spent on your whole bike to get that improvement.
my advice - just thrash it till it dies then buy yourself a better bike. You'll become a much better rider by just regularly getting out on whatever bike you have than by succumbing to "upgrade-itis".
Philthy
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 11/Dec/13 7:14pm

Saddle and grips if they're not comfortable. Any other bits that are causing a comfort issue. Otherwise if stuff's working, it'll do :)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Postby Philthy on Wed 11/Dec/13 7:19pm

Oh, and if you really want to improve your biking skillz: sell your car, use your current bike to commute to work to get fit and save money, use the thousands of dollars you save to buy a couple of boss as bikes.
Philthy
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby targnik on Wed 11/Dec/13 8:11pm

Philthy wrote:Hi Targnik,
Have you actually found anything wrong with any parts on the bike? In reality it is an entry level bike and as such it is perfect for someone just getting into biking, and will last a year or so of regular riding without giving any problems, but isn't really worth spending any money on upgrades. You'll be much better off saving your upgrade money to spend more on your next bike purchase - bike parts are always much better value when bought as part of a complete bike rather than individually.
There isn't actually anything wrong with those parts other than, perhaps, durability and weight. The are lots of forks you can buy which would be noticeably better to an experienced rider, but you can spend as much as what you spent on your whole bike to get that improvement.
my advice - just thrash it till it dies then buy yourself a better bike. You'll become a much better rider by just regularly getting out on whatever bike you have than by succumbing to "upgrade-itis".

one thing ^^

the front dérailleur has gagged a couple times i.e. chain stuck half-way through shift...

misc:

thinking a drop post would be nice & I can transfer it over to next bike when the time comes...

the guy in shop asked if I wanted to change pedals - i.e. they're plastic & apparently will be slippin & slidin when it gets wet...

otherwise it's good ride
targnik

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 11/Dec/13 8:23pm

careful on the dropper post, with the number of different diameters out there, there's a fair chance the post that fits this bike will not fit the next one.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Farm on Wed 11/Dec/13 8:37pm

I wouldn't upgrade the pedals right away unless you're having trouble with them. Chances are if you get right into it you'll want to get clipless pedals once you're more confident. Clipless pedals clip onto the bottom of shoes with cleats attached. Sorry if that explanation is unneeded.
As an example my partner bought flash flat pedals as an upgrade and a few months later swapped them for shimano spd clipless pedals.
Farm
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby dented on Wed 11/Dec/13 8:54pm

Even a top of the line front derailleur can snag from time to time and chain-suck is not really related to the front derailleur as much as it is from a filthy chain and or/driveline. Clean that shit up and the problem will likely go away until you get it muddy next time. Like I said even the top pro's with the best gear get the problem when it all gets muddy and dirty.

As for pedals, consider going to clipless pedals and shoes. These will definitely switch over to any other bike, and you'll have gains when climbing as well. They arent for everybody though.

Aside from that, I agree with everything Philthy said, expecially with the forks. An expensive upgrade that might make you feel nice inside, but in the real world the improvements to your riding experience may well be negligible.
dented
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 11/Dec/13 11:18pm

Good points there, agree with Babs tho; contact points if anything - saddle and grips first - also easy to transfer to the next one.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 11/Dec/13 11:21pm

So it looks on the internet like the Swopout is less standard than I hoped.
I can find 135x10 QR/bolt-through, 135x12 through, and various horizontal options to fit my Trailstar, but the 142x12 versions are Mk 2 Swopout - to suit newer DMR frames.

Can I fit or modify a Mk 2 142x12 to fit a Trailstar? Or is there another compatible dropout (Kenesis etc) to fit?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 11/Dec/13 11:35pm

Hmm, have uncovered a tidy explaining which dropouts fit different frames. Arse.
I see some wiggle-room to bodge though, I'm running a 185mm rotor in there, so could mess with adapters/spacers/rotors to even up the difference.

Anyone tried this? Or see a reason it couldnt work?
Velocipedestrian

Postby targnik on Thu 12/Dec/13 6:49am

@all - 10x for advice :cool:

was thinkin about clip-in pedals @ 4.30am when toddler was stirring :cry:

might go that route first then... with more riding under belt they'll prove handy & can be transferred over to upgrade :love:

my father & law is a dab hand at customizing (anything) might do a dropper post - he'd tweak it out to fit whatever I get later on

time to do some research on clip-ins & droppers (to me makes sense to have both together i.e. what's point of having clip-ins if you have to get off bike to adjust seat)

[Arnie twang] "I'll be back" - to ask more newbie questions :lol:
targnik

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts