Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby SlackBoy on Wed 11/Jun/08 7:15pm

Mr_Bob wrote: Old shimano exage?
Did my head in the first time that I saw one of those :crazy:
Just a standard BB. Looked like it as that way from new
SlackBoy
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby muddydave on Wed 11/Jun/08 8:13pm

took my question into a wise young mechanic one day, asking about shifting problems between my xt shifters and xtr front derailleur.......answer was they run at different ratios so thats my problem!!!!!! OOOOOOOoooookkkkkkkkkkkkkk, next shop got my business
muddydave
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Wed 11/Jun/08 8:35pm

Really?!
I find that incredibly hard to believe
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Chickenman on Wed 11/Jun/08 10:48pm

Spokes wrote: I had the best customer today, you other Mechanics will like this.

Cust X brings in old bike say hes an engineer but cant get his LH pedal on. Cust X then shows me the pedal. Its a RH pedal. But wait it gets better. He had worked out the whole LH/RH thing for himself so he decided to cut the thread off the RH pedal with a grinder(or something, must be good to get through a pedal axle). Then he turns the thread around and welds it back on thinking that it will fix the problem............ :crazy:

Its been a funny day today. :D

The first words not to say to me:

"Hi, my mate, he's an engineer, he told me that......is causing my......to...... How much will it cost to fix the problem?"

To which I usually respond with, "No,.....will fix your.....'s problem, it'll cost $....."

Often they will respond with, "but my engineer mate said....." FFS if you are going to ask my advice and not take it because it is different to what an untrained friend has said, at least have the courtesy to not tell me, just leave.

Don't get me started on engineers! The above example has dropped them to an all new level in my book!
Chickenman
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby SlackBoy on Wed 11/Jun/08 10:51pm

Chickenman wrote:Often they will respond with, "but my engineer mate said....."
I've heard of several people getting the " Get your injuneeer mate to fix it then".
I haven't had to many injuneer stories just yet :cool:
SlackBoy

Postby Oli on Wed 11/Jun/08 10:52pm

It's always the guys who think they are mechanically inclined who butcher their home repairs the most! :D

"I do all my own work, but I just want you to finish it off for me for peace of mind..." as I look at the utter mess of stripped nipples and bolts, loosely held together with zip-ties and puncture cement...
Oli
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Spokes on Wed 11/Jun/08 10:52pm

Chickenman wrote:
Spokes wrote: I had the best customer today, you other Mechanics will like this.

Cust X brings in old bike say hes an engineer but cant get his LH pedal on. Cust X then shows me the pedal. Its a RH pedal. But wait it gets better. He had worked out the whole LH/RH thing for himself so he decided to cut the thread off the RH pedal with a grinder(or something, must be good to get through a pedal axle). Then he turns the thread around and welds it back on thinking that it will fix the problem............ :crazy:

"Hi, my mate, he's an engineer, he told me that......is causing my......to...... How much will it cost to fix the problem?"

To which I usually respond with, "No,.....will fix your.....'s problem, it'll cost $....."

Often they will respond with, "but my engineer mate said....."

Don't get me started on engineers! The above example has dropped them to an all new level in my book!

But it was a good effort to cut an axle. The welding was shit though, even I could do better.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Chickenman on Wed 11/Jun/08 10:53pm

Mr_Bob wrote: Really?!
I find that incredibly hard to believe

No it's quite correct, XTR has a different pull ratio to XT, it's to do with the 'R'.
Chickenman

Postby Chickenman on Wed 11/Jun/08 10:58pm

SlackBoy wrote:
Chickenman wrote:Often they will respond with, "but my engineer mate said....."
I've heard of several people getting the " Get your injuneeer mate to fix it then".
I haven't had to many injuneer stories just yet :cool:

I will often give that response, and usually an example "I don't take my car to a marine engineer to get fixed, I take it to a car mechanic. So why do you take your bike to an engineer and not a bike mechanic?"
Chickenman

Postby Oli on Wed 11/Jun/08 10:58pm

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
300px-Pirate_9.jpg
Oli

Postby Oli on Wed 11/Jun/08 10:59pm

DAMMIT! Too slow... :hmmm:
Oli

Postby Chickenman on Wed 11/Jun/08 11:00pm

Spokes wrote:
Chickenman wrote:

Often they will respond with, "but my engineer mate said....."

But it was a good effort to cut an axle. The welding was shit though, even I could do better.

Yes it is a good effort to cut an axle cleanly enough, but the simple fact he missed threads 101 in engineer school totally null and voids it!
Chickenman

Postby SlackBoy on Wed 11/Jun/08 11:00pm

Oli fails, far too many clothes and far too many layers to get her nekkid quick. Pirate wenches need be skimpily dressed
SlackBoy

Postby Oli on Wed 11/Jun/08 11:01pm

Like you wouldn't hit that...
Oli

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts