Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Mon 27/Aug/12 7:17pm

dented wrote:Seem to remember that Hayes were backwards to everything else, or something. One of the bike mechanics will likely correct this if Im wrong

I'm not a bike mechanic, if that helps, but you're correct - I had a set of Hayes brakes, and took them back :thumbsup:
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 27/Aug/12 7:17pm

Less toe-in. :p
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 27/Aug/12 7:39pm

thelivo wrote:
Oli wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:throw a ziptie under the back of the pad for a spot of toe in goodness. ;)
Nah maing, what is this the 1960s? That just makes modern brakes feel mushy until the pads wear crookedly. Always set them up dead flush - if they squeak it's because there's shit on the rim. ;)

I thought toe in was still in Vogue. An i wasn't even born in the 1960's :blush:

dual pivot http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ke-service
no toe

canti http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ke-service
toe if squeals

V http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... brake-type
toe if squeals

FWIW
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Mon 27/Aug/12 7:52pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:
thelivo wrote:
Oli wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:throw a ziptie under the back of the pad for a spot of toe in goodness. ;)
Nah maing, what is this the 1960s? That just makes modern brakes feel mushy until the pads wear crookedly. Always set them up dead flush - if they squeak it's because there's shit on the rim. ;)

I thought toe in was still in Vogue. An i wasn't even born in the 1960's :blush:

no toe

toe if squeals

toe if squeals

FWIW
I would argue against toeing in all Vs - in most cases trying to get rid of squeaking brakes by toeing them in results in juddering instead. I have worked on about 8000 v-brakes in my time so feel confident in my opinion on this. :cool:
Oli
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 27/Aug/12 8:05pm

Oli wrote:
great uncle bulgaria wrote:
thelivo wrote:
Oli wrote:

no toe

toe if squeals

toe if squeals

FWIW
I would argue against toeing in all Vs - in most cases trying to get rid of squeaking brakes by toeing them in results in juddering instead. I have worked on about 8000 v-brakes in my time so feel confident in my opinion on this. :cool:

well ive spent 8000 hrs on one set . . . . :blush:
truly the horns of a dilemma for the great unwashed
Oli vs Park
should we let Sheldon adjudicate?
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 27/Aug/12 8:17pm

soz but Olo wins :love:
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Mon 27/Aug/12 8:46pm

mudlover/hater wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:
mudlover/hater wrote:No bends in the chainring, Oli thanks. It's a SRAM 971 with a missing link thingy.
Stick another wheel on it.
don't have one? grab a mates. At the very least it will narrow down your search

To rule out the freehub? Good idea. I'll try it when it stops raining, thanks O Slack one.

Shit house. Definitely the freehub..... Cheers Slackboy for the idea... Now for decisions... :thumbsup:
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby vintapperen on Mon 27/Aug/12 8:52pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:
dented wrote:Seem to remember that Hayes were backwards to everything else, or something. One of the bike mechanics will likely correct this if Im wrong

I'm not a bike mechanic, if that helps, but you're correct - I had a set of Hayes brakes, and took them back :thumbsup:

Problem sorted - they are off the bike and in the corner of the shed. Now I am just wondering whether I get another set of the new style XTs (got those on my geary hard tail, nice brakes and super easy to bleed) or save a few pennies and get the SLX ones ...
vintapperen
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 27/Aug/12 8:53pm

what make / model is the hub??
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Mon 27/Aug/12 9:08pm

vintapperen wrote:
Dr. Fuentes wrote:

Problem sorted - they are off the bike and in the corner of the shed. Now I am just wondering whether I get another set of the new style XTs (got those on my geary hard tail, nice brakes and super easy to bleed) or save a few pennies and get the SLX ones ...

If it helps, I went from the current XTR Race brakes to the current SLX brakes, and won't go back. From what I recall, XT are a little more powerful than the SLX, with more adjustment. I can't say I'd require any more power than what the SLX system seems to have though, but I never did ride all that hard. Also, I am a serial cheap-arse, so will pinch pennies where practicable (and SLX vs. XT brakes was one of those instances - SLX were about half the price of XT).
Dr. Fuentes

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 27/Aug/12 9:15pm

What made the SLX brakes better?
I'm ignoring price here.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Mon 27/Aug/12 9:21pm

I think XTR race sacrifices power
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Mon 27/Aug/12 9:32pm

Yes, the XTR race brakes are lovely to use, but can come up a little short on the power stakes. The SLX brakes are a little gruntier, but maintain good modulation. Also, the lever adjustment is a little better on SLX as well.

If you give XTR race brakes a decent squeeze, you can see the side of the caliper bulge too fwiw... :crazy:
Dr. Fuentes

Postby vintapperen on Mon 27/Aug/12 9:34pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:If it helps, I went from the current XTR Race brakes to the current SLX brakes, and won't go back. From what I recall, XT are a little more powerful than the SLX, with more adjustment. I can't say I'd require any more power than what the SLX system seems to have though, but I never did ride all that hard. Also, I am a serial cheap-arse, so will pinch pennies where practicable (and SLX vs. XT brakes was one of those instances - SLX were about half the price of XT).

Cheapest I could find for 2012 XT (which I have on another bike) is $399 and 2013 SLX are $359
vintapperen
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 27/Aug/12 9:48pm

775 FTW
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts