Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby cruiser on Mon 30/Apr/12 9:57pm

The gravity dropper's bottom nut is done up with a 6mm hex. It's an option to get an extension hex socket in there and either torque the bottom tight til thread binds to try budge it, or at worst remove the nut to hacksaw? (would hate to do that though)

My 1/2" extension and hex socket fits in my one so it's possible the nut down the bottom is a godsend.

If you had an impact driver & bit might be even better. You'd want to lube the hex shaft to reduce risk it getting stuck in there.
cruiser
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby philstar on Mon 30/Apr/12 10:24pm

cruiser wrote:The gravity dropper's bottom nut is done up with a 6mm hex. It's an option to get an extension hex socket in there and either torque the bottom tight til thread binds to try budge it, or at worst remove the nut to hacksaw? (would hate to do that though)
My 1/2" extension and hex socket fits in my one so it's possible the nut down the bottom is a godsend.
If you had an impact driver & bit might be even better. You'd want to lube the hex shaft to reduce risk it getting stuck in there.


thanks my 1/2" wont fit but my 3/8th will if i use both extensions. forgot that i could use socket set extensions, was wandering how to get an allan key down there.
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Derryn Hinch on Wed 2/May/12 1:25pm

I just got a new set of race wheels for my roadie.

The race rims are 23mm and my training wheels 21mm. 23mm tyres on both.

The brakes fit the 23mm rims when the quick release cams are open.

Is there any (safety) issue with running the cams in the open position?
Derryn Hinch
User avatar
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Oli on Wed 2/May/12 4:18pm

Not at all. :thumbsup:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby SamKnight on Sat 5/May/12 12:26pm

Anyone got a price for/know where i can get a rebuild kit for a Joplin 3R (also be after the seals for the seal head if possible)?
SamKnight
User avatar
"Meh"
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby RHR_Rob on Sun 6/May/12 5:10pm

spongy XTR 985

Dont know if its just my set of if its common.
lever is probably 60% to bars before biting then squeels like a stuck pig (F&R) have just been bled at LBS and new pads Which hasnt seemed to make much diff.

My old XTR were fantastic bit early and were strong but the new ones are just crap in comparason and feel spongy.

anyone else had this prob?
RHR_Rob
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby SamKnight on Sun 6/May/12 5:12pm

RHR_Rob wrote:spongy XTR 985

Dont know if its just my set of if its common.
lever is probably 60% to bars before biting then squeels like a stuck pig (F&R) have just been bled at LBS and new pads Which hasnt seemed to make much diff.

My old XTR were fantastic bit early and were strong but the new ones are just crap in comparason and feel spongy.

anyone else had this prob?

Bike shop didn't bleed them very well, if its spongy then there's more than likely air still in the system

Edit: DId you clean the rotors thoroughly before you swapped out for new pads?
SamKnight
User avatar
"Meh"
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 6/May/12 5:48pm

spongy and squeeeeeeling = shitty bleed maing
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby wachtourak on Sun 6/May/12 6:14pm

I'd say they're possibly leaking at the caliper...if they have been bled but still spongy and the pads are squealing likely = contamination
wachtourak
User avatar
"IMDABES"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Sun 6/May/12 7:09pm

RHR_Rob wrote:spongy XTR 985

Dont know if its just my set of if its common.
lever is probably 60% to bars before biting then squeels like a stuck pig (F&R) have just been bled at LBS and new pads Which hasnt seemed to make much diff.

My old XTR were fantastic bit early and were strong but the new ones are just crap in comparason and feel spongy.

anyone else had this prob?


Nope, my set was awesome - quiet and nice sharp lever feel.

What rotors are you using, out of interest?
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby RHR_Rob on Sun 6/May/12 8:23pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:
RHR_Rob wrote:spongy XTR 985

Dont know if its just my set of if its common.
lever is probably 60% to bars before biting then squeels like a stuck pig (F&R) have just been bled at LBS and new pads Which hasnt seemed to make much diff.

My old XTR were fantastic bit early and were strong but the new ones are just crap in comparason and feel spongy.

anyone else had this prob?


Nope, my set was awesome - quiet and nice sharp lever feel.

What rotors are you using, out of interest?


Rotors are Avids, bike orriginally had XX brakes (+rotors) on but swapped for XTR brakes.
So who's the best brake bleeder in chch?
RHR_Rob
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby SamKnight on Sun 6/May/12 9:10pm

I'd get your rotors cleaned and buy new pads at the same time, at a stretch soak the pads for at least overnight in IPA
SamKnight
User avatar
"Meh"
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby musket on Sun 6/May/12 11:03pm

XX rotors are thinner, are they not? I've been unable to get adequate clearance setting up XX brakes with any Rotors other than the XX specific.

Regardless, the new XTR's are slightly harder to bleed (in my experience), but work well. The Icetec rotors are the shizz.
musket
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 7/May/12 7:06am

musket wrote:XX rotors are thinner, are they not? I've been unable to get adequate clearance setting up XX brakes with any Rotors other than the XX specific.

Regardless, the new XTR's are slightly harder to bleed (in my experience), but work well. The Icetec rotors are the shizz.


I have the XX rotors on one set of wheels and normal rotors on the other set of wheels, clearance seems fine on both, but just the same squeeling.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 7/May/12 8:36am

Before you start dunking pads in IPA etc get a descent bleed done. eliminate one issue at a time.
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

59 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 56 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle