Will have a check, I've either got some 30 or 33 fluffing around somewhere
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby wuffy on Wed 26/Oct/11 2:09pm

danose wrote:
wuffy wrote:Yar.

Got some Rubber Queens last week, rode them on Sunday at bottle lake, not much of a test but they seem to do well.

rubber queens aren't exactly 'light' you know - if you're just riding tame port hills tracks you could go a lot lighter

dropped around 450+ grams from the front so... they're lighter! Probably dropped around 250 on the back too with a lighter tube too. And will eventually drop another 250+ grams from the rims swapping to ZTR Flows :thumbsup:
Last edited by wuffy on Wed 26/Oct/11 2:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
wuffy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 26/Oct/11 2:11pm

Ditched the single ring also?
Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby wuffy on Wed 26/Oct/11 2:18pm

Nope. Can climb nun fine with the single so will just keep doing that and strengthening the legs.
wuffy

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 26/Oct/11 3:10pm

Wobbler wrote:Will have a check, I've either got some 30 or 33 fluffing around somewhere

:thumbsup: :love:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 19 years 9 months

Postby Conners on Wed 26/Oct/11 4:27pm

wuffy wrote:
danose wrote:

Got some Rubber Queens last week, rode them on Sunday at bottle lake, not much of a test but they seem to do well.

rubber queens aren't exactly 'light' you know - if you're just riding tame port hills tracks you could go a lot lighter

dropped around 450+ grams from the front so... they're lighter! Probably dropped around 250 on the back too with a lighter tube too. And will eventually drop another 250+ grams from the rims swapping to ZTR Flows :thumbsup:

What are these "tubes" of which you speak?
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 26/Oct/11 7:00pm

Conners wrote:
wuffy wrote:
danose wrote:

:withstupid:

Also just checking that the Stans universal tubeless valve will work in XT wheels amirite?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 19 years 5 months

Postby neels on Wed 26/Oct/11 7:14pm

Oh knowledgeable ones......

Can I run singlespeed with a biopace chainring? I've tried to figure out how the oval shape will work but it just makes my head hurt.

Alternatively, is it still possible to get a chainring to fit a 5 arm exage crank?
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby wuffy on Wed 26/Oct/11 7:28pm

Conners wrote:
wuffy wrote:
danose wrote:

:blush:

Had a massive 500g CST thornproof tube in the back that was on the blindside, swapped it for a standard CST one at 200 something.
wuffy

Postby Conners on Wed 26/Oct/11 7:40pm

neels wrote:Oh knowledgeable ones......

Can I run singlespeed with a biopace chainring? I've tried to figure out how the oval shape will work but it just makes my head hurt.

With a tensioner with enough slack, yes.
Without a tensioner - I would give a resounding no!
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby musta on Wed 26/Oct/11 7:56pm

I have done before with no tensioner.
Works alright, you have to spend 30min getting exactly (and i mean exactly) the right tension.
And once you get it it still rides like crap due to loose chain/tight chain feeling.

Just get a old round road chain-ring, so much easier.
musta
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Wed 26/Oct/11 7:58pm

I've seen singlespeeds done with Rotor rings no problem - I'm not 100% on the science, but I don't the diameter increases just because the ring is oval?

Anyway, I think Exage chainsets have a 130PCD so rings are easy to come by.
Oli
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Wed 26/Oct/11 8:18pm

Oli wrote:I'm not 100% on the science, but I don't the diameter increases just because the ring is oval?

I'm not 100% on biopace chainrings, but an oval with a constant diameter is a circle ;)

Thinking about this again for a minute though there is a chance that that even though the diameter is changing that the tension remains the same. The amount of chain wrapped around (half) the ring may stay constant? (ie the bigger diameter bits might be cancelled out by the smaller diameter bits?)

I'd go with Oli. If he says it works it will work!
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby Wobbler on Wed 26/Oct/11 8:25pm

Conners wrote:
Oli wrote:I'm not 100% on the science, but I don't the diameter increases just because the ring is oval?

I'm not 100% on biopace chainrings, but an oval with a constant diameter is a circle ;)

Thinking about this again for a minute though there is a chance that that even though the diameter is changing that the tension remains the same. The amount of chain wrapped around (half) the ring may stay constant? (ie the bigger diameter bits might be cancelled out by the smaller diameter bits?)

I think you are right, there is the same amount of chain stays wrapped arounnd, I'm sure I've seen the maths to prove it somewhere (might have been when barel was running biopace before he steamed his knee and switch to even wackier rings)
Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 26/Oct/11 8:33pm

Wobbler wrote:
Conners wrote:

I think you are right, there is the same amount of chain stays wrapped arounnd, I'm sure I've seen the maths to prove it somewhere (might have been when barel was running biopace before he steamed his knee and switch to even wackier rings)

ding! we have a winner.

while the diameter does change ( duh! ) the number of teeth engaging the chain is constant ( with rotor rings design a least )

does running a constantly varying ratio chainring contravene any arcane SS laws? :blink:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts