Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby kona.stinky. on Sat 25/Jun/11 10:53pm

I'll have a look into the external EBB units, as something tells me those ENO hubs will be quite expensive.
kona.stinky.
User avatar
"Si"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby wuffy on Sat 25/Jun/11 11:10pm

Just get a good shop to set up the tension right with a half-link'd chain and it'll be much less hassle. If I can do it a shop can :p
wuffy
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 26/Jun/11 12:07pm

kona.stinky. wrote:I'll have a look into the external EBB units, as something tells me those ENO hubs will be quite expensive.



moar pricey than an eno
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby thelivo on Sun 26/Jun/11 12:09pm

wuffy wrote:Just get a good shop to set up the tension right with a half-link'd chain and it'll be much less hassle. If I can do it a shop can :p


:withstupid:

This is what happened with me (by complete fluke)

When i first put the chain on it was VERY tight - but it loosened off just nicely after a couple of hours riding to the perfect tension.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 26/Jun/11 12:51pm

shmoodiver wrote:
kona.stinky. wrote:I'll have a look into the external EBB units, as something tells me those ENO hubs will be quite expensive.



moar pricey than an eno


Even including a wheelbuild?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 19 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 26/Jun/11 1:38pm

nope, moar versatile too
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby mark2c on Sun 26/Jun/11 2:14pm

These look interesting for BB30 equiped frames...

SAM_1245-300x225.jpg
BB30 EBB


http://beercomponents.com/?page_id=24
mark2c
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby mudlover/hater on Sun 26/Jun/11 5:34pm

Kia Ora all yous wrenchy types...

I need to replace the bearings in my Hope Pro 2 hubs. Is cheaper to get the required bearings from the likes of SKF than it is to get them from a bike shop?

Also, if I go with SKF, would I be able to get the sweet as bling stainless bearing'd ones?

Oh, and what model number/bearing size do the bearings does the Hope front and rear hubs require?

Thanks for the help fullas...
mudlover/hater
User avatar
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby yeahnah on Sun 26/Jun/11 6:15pm

You can get the bearings from skf but I haven't seen nice stainless ones there ( havnt looked that hard to be honest tho )

Most shops can get nice enduro ones fairly cheaply now days

Find a shop with a nice press to fit the bearings as there is far less chance of making a mess then using hammers and sockets as drifts etc i have seen a lot of messed up bearings from that method of fitting .

The sizes are on the hope site.
http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemi ... cification
yeahnah
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby danose on Mon 27/Jun/11 11:25am

mudlover/hater wrote:I need to replace the bearings in my Hope Pro 2 hubs. Is cheaper to get the required bearings from the likes of SKF than it is to get them from a bike shop?


given it's only $44 for a rear kit (2 * 6903, 2 * 6802 and a 6902) I reckon you'd be hard pressed - will depend entirely on what kind of pricing you get at your local bearing shop (i.e. trade with decent discount or just retail)
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby mudlover/hater on Mon 27/Jun/11 5:13pm

danose wrote:
mudlover/hater wrote:I need to replace the bearings in my Hope Pro 2 hubs. Is cheaper to get the required bearings from the likes of SKF than it is to get them from a bike shop?


given it's only $44 for a rear kit (2 * 6903, 2 * 6802 and a 6902) I reckon you'd be hard pressed - will depend entirely on what kind of pricing you get at your local bearing shop (i.e. trade with decent discount or just retail)


Oh, well it sounds like a no brainer then... is it do-able with ground down sockets as drifts or is it pretty hit and miss? I've been looking for the actual Hope tools in shops but no one seems to stock them. The only place I've seen them is 'That UK Online Store' :blush: .

I was told by a wrench at a particular shop in town that I'd need to replace all the pawls, springs and spacers as well as the bearings. However, all of that stuff seems to be working fine. It's just the play in the front bearings that's bugging me....

Thanks for the helpful advice. :D
mudlover/hater
User avatar
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby danose on Tue 28/Jun/11 10:25am

mudlover/hater wrote:I was told by a wrench at a particular shop in town that I'd need to replace all the pawls, springs and spacers as well as the bearings. However, all of that stuff seems to be working fine. It's just the play in the front bearings that's bugging me....


proper press kit would make the job much much easier - but probably 99% of people get by without

seals are $3.50 ea (one each side on the rear), pawl kit $25 - spacers wouldn't need replacing unless stuffed (unlikely imho, can die if hub totally neglected I guess) - new seals is a bit of a no-brainer given low cost, pawls - hard call, depends on miles done, having them let go mid-ride can really suck
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Trail on Tue 28/Jun/11 10:40am

If there is no play in your rear hub you could just replace the bearings in the front hub? I seem to do 2 x bearings in the front hub to 1 x set in the rear.

The freewheel is so easy to take apart on the pro 2 that you should be servicing this regularly. Clean the crap out and replace with good new lubrication. While in there you can check on the condition of the pawls and springs.

I have had pawl springs go in my pro 2's. You can probably get by without doing pawls etc, but the seal will be starting to go which will let more crap in and the pawls will start to wear more quickly.

There are 4 pawls in there, if you dont mind keeping an eye on them you can start to replace them once they start to go. I was getting by on 2 pawls for a little while (noticed it was not working as nice and so took it apart, discovered broken springs, and replaced).

Another option for the bearings. You can order the bearings from Dougal at Shockcraft and he will send them out to you.
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby danose on Tue 28/Jun/11 11:00am

Trail wrote:Another option for the bearings. You can order the bearings from Dougal at Shockcraft and he will send them out to you.


about $76 for the rear bearings from shockcraft though (plus postage) - so no cheaper than crc.com (with freight from the UK)

if you need seals/pawls anyway it's cheaper to just order the lot from the UK and be done

other option is to upgrade your ProIIs to the new 'evo' spec - shell is the same so for the rear it's a new axle, new endcaps, new main bearings (stainless) and new evo freehub body (with stainless bearings pre-fitted) - for front it's just new (stainless) bearings - a fair bit of $ but does give stainless bearings (and the new easy switching of rear from 10mm qr/10mm thru/12mm thru etc)
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Tue 28/Jun/11 11:08am

Trail wrote:I seem to do 2 x bearings in the front hub to 1 x set in the rear.

That's interesting - I've always developed play in my rear hubs before the front.
Possibly due to all the sick whips to sideways landings I pull off :huh:
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

109 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 108 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit