Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 23/Jun/11 8:00pm

gnar, shake and vac
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby mark2c on Thu 23/Jun/11 8:11pm

pushbikerider wrote:I would avoid ceramic like the plague for what you do, yes they spin super silky, but are super high maintenance in wet conditions

Please note, I work for the NZ Chris King agent (and I'm a huge King fanboi), so my post contains a large amount of bias

Stainless makes sense, IF you are prepared to do the small amount of service work required to work on the bearings before they are rooted, and that goes for any bearing / product on your bike odds on, the west coast is a tough environment on bikes, bike parts and beairngs

Why I like the King BB is that they are serviceable with a grease gun (adapter needed) so that you can look after them, its easy to do, which is why King offer a 5 year warranty on their BB, but you need to give it a little bit of TLC.

otherwise IMHO 8 months out of a regular external BB isn't too bad considering the conditions you ride in

Agreed with PBR that 8 months in those conditions is pretty good for a standard BB. My experience is that the Enduro Zero ceramics last much longer, but do rust out eventually. The standard xt/Raceface BBs use 37x25x6 bearings with a nylon sleeve and these typically give me about 3 months service. I'm using Enduro 37x24x7 steel bearings on the basis that they are consumable, but have only just fitted them. I've had a look for 37x24x7 full ceramic bearings & concluded they are 'stupid expensive' at present. Trying to source some Chinese ones though.

The King BB looks interesting, but by the time you buy the tool (or pay for someone else to lube it) it doesn't appear to be that attractive - especially if they quibble on the warranty.

Finally IMO 'stainless' isn't a good material for bearings as it still corrodes (some grades more than steel) and isn't hard enough.
Last edited by mark2c on Thu 23/Jun/11 8:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark2c
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 23/Jun/11 8:13pm

spun my cranks today and they spun for ages, 12 month old hope stainless. i don't ride in very rough conditions tho
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby wachtourak on Thu 23/Jun/11 8:22pm

My King one is still spinning as good as new after some pretty horrendous muddy rides lately, but it's only a few months old. Ima get me the grease injector tool sometime soon though.

I used to kill standard shimano ones pretty quick, I'd always need a new one after every winter in welly mud.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby Spyder on Fri 24/Jun/11 1:43pm

Bought our boy a roadie off TM. Looks pretty good and is in fair condition. Doesn't want to change into the lowest gear, so which screw do I mess with to fix that?
James' Bike 001.jpg
Which Screw?

Secondly it has these brakes and these shifters, which I guess dates it a bit. Are the newer combined 7speed shifter/brake levers still around? Don't think his hands will reach those levers (even if they were rotated around the bars a bit more).
James' Bike 003.jpg
Brakes
James' Bike 004.jpg
Shifters

Cheers, shame I'm not going to home to see his face after school. Expectations are high for a great result at the duathlon tomorrow now!
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby musta on Fri 24/Jun/11 2:28pm

The screws are the limit screws
L - Largest sprocket
H - Smallest sprocket

And by lowest gear do you mean the smallest cog? if so it the H screw.
But try the black adjuster where the cable attaches.
A good article is once again provided by the god father of cycling
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html Scroll down to 'The Four Rear Derailer Adjustments, In Order of Importance'

7 speed shifters/brake combos should still be available, have a look on trademe
musta
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby XCrazy on Fri 24/Jun/11 3:12pm

I would say first thing to check is can you gently push the derailleur into the gear it won't naturally go into? If yes for the largest sprocket (easiest gear) you need increase the cable tension (black barrel adjuster at back of derailleur), if yes for smallest sprocket (hardest gear) your cables probably have too much friction and need to be replaced or lubed. If no then you need to fiddle with the limit screws. I can't make out any letters so can't help with which is which.
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Sat 25/Jun/11 2:10pm

HAI GUYS

Had a look into the Horizontal dropouts for the 09 GT Ruckus DX's, but it turns out they only make vertical dropouts :huh:

But the dropouts are replaceable... So would it be possible to get a custom horizontal dropout made?
If so, who would I go to, to get one made ?
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby wachtourak on Sat 25/Jun/11 5:49pm

Engineering/metal fabrication place.

Won't be cheap though.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby kona.stinky. on Sat 25/Jun/11 8:31pm

Yeah, I think I'd be better off just running a chainguide on the front, could I use a Mini G2 with the upper guide removed ?
kona.stinky.
"Si"

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 25/Jun/11 9:39pm

just run a chain tensioner
shmoodiver

Postby wuffy on Sat 25/Jun/11 10:05pm

What he said. :withstupid:
wuffy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Sat 25/Jun/11 10:22pm

After some bikepink browsing I stumbled across this photo of Tyler MCaul
How is he running single speed with vertical dropouts and no chain tensioner ?
kona.stinky.
"Si"

Postby XCrazy on Sat 25/Jun/11 10:26pm

Could be an EBB but I dont think so, otherwise he just happens to have a ratio that works perfectly with no tensioner
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 25/Jun/11 10:43pm

1 of 3 ways

-Eccentric external BB unit
-Magic ratio
-White industries ENO hub

or possibly using a single half link
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."