Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby musket on Tue 21/Jun/11 10:58pm

I got a few of these today:

http://www.alexscycle.com/misc-/other/h ... rrency=GBP

for myself, the workshop and the Missus' pump. They're awesome and well worth the money. The 'spoon' clamp is super easy to use and the front of the drum is adjustable so even as the grommet wears (or you get any funny valves) it'll stay sealed, even up to and over 200psi.

Immediately transformed a totally shite Lezyne pump in to a great pump - it's no wonder they're Keirin Wrench std issue.
musket
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Postby AdamMTB on Wed 22/Jun/11 11:21am

I run XT cranks on my bike and currently have them off to give it a good clean.

I noticed that the bearings on the drive side of my BB spin freely but I struggle to spin the bearings on the other side. With a bit of pressure I can release them but they don't spin all that freely. They don't sound or feel rumbely and with the cranks you can spin them with relative ease.

Just wondering at what stage do you replace them. They have big "Do not disassemble" on them so assuming I shouldn't clean and re-pack the bearings. If this is true, why can't I do this?
AdamMTB
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Nick_K on Wed 22/Jun/11 11:29am

AdamMTB wrote:Just wondering at what stage do you replace them. They have big "Do not disassemble" on them so assuming I shouldn't clean and re-pack the bearings. If this is true, why can't I do this?

You can dissemble them to get a bit more life out of them if they aren't too fuct. Use a sharp knife edge to flip off the plastic cover then degrease and repack.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby onyabike on Wed 22/Jun/11 11:31am

once those bearings start to freeze they are probably on the way out - most likely water has penetrated. shockcraft do a service where you send them your cups and they fit enduro bearing of your choice (steel/ceramic what ever) and whip them back to you. or you can probably buy new XT/SLX cups for around fifty bucks plus freight. or there are numerous options for replacement with non-shimano - both cheaper and extravagant.
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 22/Jun/11 11:35am

hope stainless FTW!

or king for the bling
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby AdamMTB on Wed 22/Jun/11 12:15pm

I must be honest and say I've already taken the covers off to have a nosey. I'll degrease them and do a repack and see how that goes. I've just spent a trolley load of money on other boring maintenance bits and do like the idea of replacing them in the nearish future with ceramic bearings but atm if I can stretch their life that'd be great.

Any recommendations on a replacement BB with ceramic bearings?
AdamMTB

Postby danose on Wed 22/Jun/11 12:18pm

AdamMTB wrote:Any recommendations on a replacement BB with ceramic bearings?

don't waste your money - a decent full stainless bearing will outlast them and be a fraction of the price, ceramic is mainly for roadies (lower friction due to smoother balls) and a lot of them the races aren't stainless (so you can still get rust issues - 'full' ceramic bearings are a pig to press and insanely expensive)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby musket on Wed 22/Jun/11 12:41pm

I've just used some HAWK Racing bbs. Lame name, but really impressed with the Folmer bearings.

Used the lightly sealed roadie one on the cross bike. It spun better than Super Record before use, and after being put through the mud.
musket
Member for: 19 years 4 months

Postby cep32 on Wed 22/Jun/11 12:57pm

In messing around trying to get to the bottom bracket of my wife's anthem I found a way of getting the plastic dust cover off without damaging it at all. Just slide a close fitting socket into the cover and then apply firm leverage to it as you slide it out again. As is reaches the edge of the cover it pops it off cleanly.

Jaycar also do electronics testing probes for $4.50 that I found great for picking off bearing seals without damaging them.

The extra ball in the pivot bearing makes the balls all catch which I can only assume will cause them to tear each other to bits. I've dropped it into the LBS to talk to Giant about as I figure it's a warranty issue.
cep32
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby AdamMTB on Wed 22/Jun/11 3:51pm

Saw this a while back...
http://vimeo.com/20550582
got me thinking....
AdamMTB

Postby danose on Wed 22/Jun/11 4:02pm

AdamMTB wrote:Saw this a while back...
got me thinking....

people worrying about bearing drag on a BB (or wheels even) is nearly as silly a people with air shocks worrying about DU bushing drag (and buying enduro needle bearing kits) :satan:

also a lot of the drag comes from the seals - low drag but loose seals may look impressive in a demo like that, but believe me I'd pick tighter/draggier for long term reliability
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby XCrazy on Wed 22/Jun/11 4:50pm

got me thinking....

I see your spinny bearings and raise you spinnier bearings :D

XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Nick_K on Wed 22/Jun/11 5:04pm

got me thinking....

Meh.

A square taper bb would outspin them all.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby phunk on Wed 22/Jun/11 5:07pm

cep32 wrote:Jaycar also do electronics testing probes for $4.50 that I found great for picking off bearing seals without damaging them.

A spoke ground to a point is a great all purpose workshop tool too!
phunk
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 22/Jun/11 5:25pm

word
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts