Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Thu 30th May 11:23pm

Dougal (or others) have you had a look at a RS Sektor RL? Got one on a Kona Honzo and was hoping to increase the travel a bit but can’t tell if the 120mm chassis will fit a longer spring.

The service manual isn’t clear.
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Fri 31st May 10:58am

dwgknz wrote:Dougal (or others) have you had a look at a RS Sektor RL? Got one on a Kona Honzo and was hoping to increase the travel a bit but can’t tell if the 120mm chassis will fit a longer spring.

The service manual isn’t clear.


This one? https://konaworld.com/honzo_dl.cfm

Parts listing shows a different air shaft required for 130-150mm travel and it's about $170.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Fri 31st May 11:41am

Yep that’s it. It’s to tie me over until my other bike arrives here in Canada by container in a few weeks. Then it will be an inclement weather bike. You know you’re getting cranky when you’re wife suggests you go out and buy a bike.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if it was a just a different airshaft required as the manual branches off in two directions so I thought it may need more.

Can’t get the hang of backwards brakes. What’s the chances I can switch the hoses on Shimano levers without having to bleed the brakes? Shimano bleed kit also in the container....
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Fri 31st May 11:48am

dwgknz wrote:Can’t get the hang of backwards brakes. What’s the chances I can switch the hoses on Shimano levers without having to bleed the brakes? Shimano bleed kit also in the container....


50%. I've done it without losing a single drop of oil and having the brakes feel firm immediately after. But it's a lottery.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 31st May 11:58am

Bleeding them would be a 5 min job too
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Fri 31st May 4:17pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Bleeding them would be a 5 min job too

Not if you're waiting for container to arrive with a bleed kit in it...
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 31st May 8:19pm

Conners wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:Bleeding them would be a 5 min job too

Not if you're waiting for container to arrive with a bleed kit in it...


Oh noes there's nobody else that could do it for him as a job.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Sat 1st Jun 7:03pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
Conners wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:Bleeding them would be a 5 min job too

Not if you're waiting for container to arrive with a bleed kit in it...


Oh noes there's nobody else that could do it for him as a job.

The whole question goes out the window if he’s paying someone else doesn’t it... :rolleyes:
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Mon 3rd Jun 9:16am

Ended up buying a bleeding cup and doing it. Things aren’t ridiculously expensive over here so not so painful.

Did a quick bleed after switching - 50% success, no bubbles in one and a bit in the other.
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 3rd Jul 4:21pm

So it's been a while since I've re-taped my front wheel.
It's time for a new tire on it.
I remember last time when I took the old tire off it took the tape with it.
I managed to get it back on roughly to where I thought it was.
What are the pro tips for taping a rim so it doesn't leak out the spoke holes into the rim and won't come undone when I take the tire off?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Thu 4th Jul 8:48am

Not a pro, but I recall the Stans instructional video showing the tape being pulled REALLY tight as you work your way around the rim.
Like to the point it almost looks like its going to yield/stretch.

And make sure your rim is REALLY clean before you start.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 4th Jul 10:10am

Conners wrote:And make sure your rim is REALLY clean before you start.



That's probably my lazy problem :blush:
Also I think I'm using 23mm tape for a 25mm rim but that's worked before.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Thu 4th Jul 3:53pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
Conners wrote:And make sure your rim is REALLY clean before you start.



That's probably my lazy problem :blush:
Also I think I'm using 23mm tape for a 25mm rim but that's worked before.

That should improve the issue of the tape wanting to off with the tyre!
I can't see 1mm either side being a problem either, edge of tape will be nowhere near the spoke holes.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby el_booto on Fri 5th Jul 6:18pm

Get some warmth into the rim first, helps the tape stick down
el_booto
User avatar
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 4th Aug 5:05pm

Will 26" 35mm Boxxer lowers fit a 26" Lyrik CSU?
Looking for alternative sources of parts to keep the old forks running...
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

53 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 51 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop