Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Tue 2nd Apr 9:43pm

amb236 wrote:So long story short I let the pressure out of the lower schrader valve (at the bottom of the shaft) on a rockshox deluxe rear shock (stupid I know) which I now belive is for the damper chamber? It is the reactiv version from a 2018 trek remedy (not a thrushaft though). Can someone confirm that I need a special adaptor to repressurise it? Also what psi?

Or does it require something more complex? Hopefully I can find a local shop who can service it/laugh at me

I thought it was to do with getting the last of the air out of the negative chamber and that it would come right after pumping the shock back up in stages and equalizing by pushing it into its travel a bit, but I've done that and it sounds and feels like shit so I figured I've done something wrong......thanks!

200-300psi.

However with Reaktiv you can't guarantee it was good before you let the pressure out.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby amb236 on Wed 3rd Apr 8:16pm

Haha Cheers.
amb236
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 14th Apr 1:30pm

What are people using to strap tools to their bikes?
I'm keen to stay bagless for longer rides.
I see the Backcountry research straps are pretty popular but was thinking of something cheaper.
Trying to stay away from velcro as that doesn't like dirty conditions all too much.

What's out there?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby ☭SOVIET☭ on Tue 16th Apr 2:05am

PEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
☭SOVIET☭
Member for: 7 months 0 weeks

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 22nd Apr 11:03pm

☭SOVIET☭ wrote:PEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Interesting input there champ.
I don't think it'll hold too much unless it's frozen though.

Anyone else?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby AgrAde on Mon 22nd Apr 11:55pm

Are you judging velcro from the strap that you used to use for your water bottle, that you'd undo many times per ride? Kinda makes sense that it would wear out and dust/mud would fuck it.

I've bought some velcro straps from aliexpress (30 of them in various lengths), I reckon they'll be mint if you're not frequently opening them. I'll throw some your way and you can give them a hoon.
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 23rd Apr 12:03am

Thanks bro I'll give them a go.
Good point of its intended use being different to the one for the bottle which is in the line of fire from the front wheel.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby amb236 on Tue 23rd Apr 6:46am

I use velcro straps, bunnings has a good selection. Two pack for about 7 dollars from memory. No issues.
amb236
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 23rd Apr 8:07am

I run a grenade pouch from Twin Needle velcro'd to the seat stay. 2 x CO2 and valve, multitool, breaker, links etc in it with a tube and levers strapped to the frame up front. I only ever wear the bag if I need to take food with me. https://twinneedle.co.nz/products/frag-grenade-pouch
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 27th Apr 11:34am

So I have bought a boost fork but have a non-boost front wheel.
The 2 options for adaptors are:

Wolftooth Boostinator

MRP Better Boost adapter

Wolftooth option shoves the hub the whole 10mm towards the brake side.
It is cheaper but requires re-dishing of the wheel to get it back in the middle of the fork.
Hub flanges end up more symmetrical and will theoretically be a stronger wheel.
Only issue with this is the dishing.
How much spoke current engagement do I need to move it that 10mm?

MRP's solution spaces the hub evenly.
This is a simpler solution, only requiring me to bolt everything up.
Also means that the wheel stays compatible with any other fork.

What would you do guys?
My main issue is the re-dish.
No point going that route if I have to get new spokes.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby Dougal on Sat 27th Apr 12:07pm

Redish. The spoke length change is insignificant.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 27th Apr 2:00pm

I recently bought the cheap Chinese ebay version of the better boost one.
About $20, 5mm spacers instead of whole caps. Kinda crappy, but just the ticket for my random hack communter.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 27th Apr 2:52pm

Thanks for that input :thumbsup:
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby wachtourak on Fri 24th May 7:32pm

Dougal wrote:
amb236 wrote:So long story short I let the pressure out of the lower schrader valve (at the bottom of the shaft) on a rockshox deluxe rear shock (stupid I know) which I now belive is for the damper chamber? It is the reactiv version from a 2018 trek remedy (not a thrushaft though). Can someone confirm that I need a special adaptor to repressurise it? Also what psi?

Or does it require something more complex? Hopefully I can find a local shop who can service it/laugh at me

I thought it was to do with getting the last of the air out of the negative chamber and that it would come right after pumping the shock back up in stages and equalizing by pushing it into its travel a bit, but I've done that and it sounds and feels like shit so I figured I've done something wrong......thanks!

200-300psi.

However with Reaktiv you can't guarantee it was good before you let the pressure out.

Damn I haven't posted her in ages

Dougalm8

I have a Remedy with the Reaktiv Thru Shaft which I've always been a bit zzz on...bike is sweet otherwise but anyway

I see on your site you have an option for custom hardware and destroking a 230x60 super deluxe coil to 230x57.5. If I'm correct pretty much any 230x60 shock can be travel reduced to 57.5 stroke with the correct spacer? (hell when I opened my shock to put a volume reducer in it looked like their was a spacer in there, I'm guessing that Trek just get 230x60 shocks and space them down).

I'm not sure if I want to go for a coil or not, but if I were to say find a 230x60 Float X2 or whatever (as maybe this size comes up secondhand more frequently than the odd Trek size) could you space that down to 57.5 stroke and do hardware for that too? As far as I'm aware the slash and remedy hardware is the same.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 24th May 8:52pm

wachtourak wrote:Damn I haven't posted her in ages

Dougalm8

I have a Remedy with the Reaktiv Thru Shaft which I've always been a bit zzz on...bike is sweet otherwise but anyway

I see on your site you have an option for custom hardware and destroking a 230x60 super deluxe coil to 230x57.5. If I'm correct pretty much any 230x60 shock can be travel reduced to 57.5 stroke with the correct spacer? (hell when I opened my shock to put a volume reducer in it looked like their was a spacer in there, I'm guessing that Trek just get 230x60 shocks and space them down).

I'm not sure if I want to go for a coil or not, but if I were to say find a 230x60 Float X2 or whatever (as maybe this size comes up secondhand more frequently than the odd Trek size) could you space that down to 57.5 stroke and do hardware for that too? As far as I'm aware the slash and remedy hardware is the same.

Yep, any 230x60mm that will clear the frame (check piggy back size).
Dougal

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts