Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Tue 5th Feb 11:18am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Question: A couple of my frame bearings need replacing. Should I order these from my frame manufacturer and pay the nasty international shipping cost and wait a couple of weeks, or can the LBS figure out what bearings are needed and use what they're got/can get?

There's a company in NZ that stocks and sells all the frame bearings. Can supply your LBS or direct via the website.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 5th Feb 11:29am

Yes, it's a great company too, but does it know the bearings a Turner Flux 27.5? The Turner website is silent on the specs.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 5th Feb 11:48am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Yes, it's a great company too, but does it know the bearings a Turner Flux 27.5? The Turner website is silent on the specs.

Turner used to use IGUS bushings.
Dougal

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 5th Feb 12:16pm

Yep, and used to make bikes out of aluminium.
I've worked out the bearings are Enduro 6900 LLBs, and I know where to find them. Thanks for your help Dougal.
Last edited by BrokenKonaRider on Tue 5th Feb 1:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 5th Feb 1:18pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Yep, and used to make bikes out of aluminium.
I've worked out the bearings are Enduro 6900 LLBs, and I know where to find them. Thanks for your Dougal.

Turns out I haven't seen a Turner in the wild since the aluminium/bushing days!

But I still rate and ride my 01 5 spot prototype. :thumbsup:
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 12th Feb 12:30pm

So, n00b to coil in the rear question.
When the fox manual says to turn the preload collar until it 'engages' the spring, is that just until it can't move lengthways with the shock?
Or until it can't be rattled by hand against the shock axis?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 12th Feb 1:25pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:So, n00b to coil in the rear question.
When the fox manual says to turn the preload collar until it 'engages' the spring, is that just until it can't move lengthways with the shock?

Yep. Stops it jumping around.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 12th Feb 2:04pm

Dougal wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:So, n00b to coil in the rear question.

Yep. Stops it jumping around.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
Until the spring can't be shifted side to side is ~.5 turns beyond where it can't be shifted along the shock axis.

Which is 'engaged'?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Dougal on Tue 12th Feb 2:32pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Which is 'engaged'?

When it can't rattle.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 12th Feb 3:17pm

Righto, I'll split the difference.
Cheers.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Dougal on Tue 12th Feb 3:32pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Righto, I'll split the difference.
Cheers.

You'll need more than that to get your ride height right anyway. The bare minimum is not letting the spring rattle.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 12th Feb 4:20pm

Dougal wrote:
Cheers.

You'll need more than that to get your ride height right anyway. The bare minimum is not letting the spring rattle.

I know, just to have a point to count from.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 25th Feb 12:02pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Dougal wrote:
Cheers.

I know, just to have a point to count from.

So, a couple of rides in.
I've added a bit more preload anyway, now I'm wondering about spring bind. I don't really want to find out the hard way...

I've just measured the gaps along the coil with the bike in the stand, and preload adjusted as ridden last.
There's ~59mm total empty space along the spring, for a 57mm stroke shock. Safe?
Velocipedestrian

Postby amb236 on Tue 2nd Apr 7:27pm

So long story short I let the pressure out of the lower schrader valve (at the bottom of the shaft) on a rockshox deluxe rear shock (stupid I know) which I now belive is for the damper chamber? It is the reactiv version from a 2018 trek remedy (not a thrushaft though). Can someone confirm that I need a special adaptor to repressurise it? Also what psi?

Or does it require something more complex? Hopefully I can find a local shop who can service it/laugh at me

I thought it was to do with getting the last of the air out of the negative chamber and that it would come right after pumping the shock back up in stages and equalizing by pushing it into its travel a bit, but I've done that and it sounds and feels like shit so I figured I've done something wrong......thanks!
amb236
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Postby amb236 on Tue 2nd Apr 7:54pm

Looks like I've answered my own question (should have done my research before, not after really....). Adapter and a shockpump capable of 350psi.....looks like a trip to the bikeshop is in order to see if they can undo my idiotness. Hopefully I haven't damaged anything in the meantime.
amb236
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts