Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Mon 12th Nov 2:26pm

Something I was mulling over while I was stripping the rear end of my bike the other day - when you find a pivot bearing that is slightly sitcky or notchy, what is the better option out of:
1. Free up bearings and leave seals intact (for more awesomer dirt/water ingress protection)
2. Pop seals and fill with grease (but run the risk minor seal damage leading to further dirt/water ingress)

Your thoughts callers.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 12th Nov 4:00pm

Conners wrote:Something I was mulling over while I was stripping the rear end of my bike the other day - when you find a pivot bearing that is slightly sitcky or notchy, what is the better option out of:
1. Free up bearings and leave seals intact (for more awesomer dirt/water ingress protection)
2. Pop seals and fill with grease (but run the risk minor seal damage leading to further dirt/water ingress)

Your thoughts callers.

Pop seals, hose out with brake cleaner or similar and repack with grease.

Once they go notchy you've got metal particles and dry grease inside. You need to get that out if you want them to move at anything like a bearing should.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Mon 12th Nov 4:32pm

Dougal wrote:
Conners wrote:Something I was mulling over while I was stripping the rear end of my bike the other day - when you find a pivot bearing that is slightly sitcky or notchy, what is the better option out of:

Your thoughts callers.

Pop seals, hose out with brake cleaner or similar and repack with grease.

Once they go notchy you've got metal particles and dry grease inside. You need to get that out if you want them to move at anything like a bearing should.

Cheers Dougal - they weren't at the notchy stage yet, but got a liberal application of grease.

I got a facebook notification the other day with a photo of the last time I changed the bearings - seven years ago!!! I know I know, I don't ride my bike enough...
Actually to be fair, I think I just don't ride it in the wet like I used to...
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 26th Nov 10:13am

My googling is inconclusive on shifter / derailleur intercompatibility. Will a Shimano 9spd mtb shifter play nicely with a 10spd road derailleur?

The Google-fu suggests all 9spd rear works, and that road 9&10 are the same shift ratio... Except for some.

I'm looking at a 105 derailleur and xtr shifter.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby el_booto on Mon 26th Nov 11:43pm

7-10sp road and mtb up to 9sp all play nice
Anything dyna-sys or 11sp road won't mix, cable ratios are different.
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 27th Nov 11:14am

el_booto wrote:7-10sp road and mtb up to 9sp all play nice
Anything dyna-sys or 11sp road won't mix, cable ratios are different.

Sweet, that's the detail I'm looking for.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 6th Dec 12:05pm

I see PBR is selling a rockshox air shaft. Will this fit in an old 26" Lyrik?
Same internal stanchion diameter, threads, circlip fitting etc?
Velocipedestrian

Postby CleverNickName on Thursday 6:22pm

Nope, old lyriks don't have the dimple in the stanchion to equalise the negative air chamber.

You need one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RockShox-Air-S ... SwpYxb~k5A
CleverNickName
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thursday 7:07pm

Ah, I thought there might be something like that.
No dice, no worries.

My air lyrik has the last functional 2step internals in the world, just interested in sticking with air while it's an option. Otherwise I'll coil it up like the others.
Velocipedestrian

Postby globe on Saturday 6:26pm

Bled my brakes today, avid elixir 3’s. After bleeding do they have a bit of squish in the lever after the brake has engaged? That is how mine are? The brakes engage ok, but then there is a bit of sponge/squish in the lever that allows it to draw up to the handlebar. Followed the instructions as per video and pretty sure I did it right, all advice welcomed, cheers
globe
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Saturday 7:30pm

Up to the bar, no.
But elixirs are a bit notorious...
Velocipedestrian

Postby globe on Sunday 6:06am

But they should be a wee bit soft past the point of engagement aye?
globe
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Sunday 5:31pm

globe wrote:But they should be a wee bit soft past the point of engagement aye?

I’ve never used Elixers, but I don’t think any brakes should have any softness beyond the bite point?

You sure it’s not the lever flexing? Once the fluid is compressed I can’t see how there could/should be any movement.

I could be wrong though.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sunday 6:41pm

Conners wrote:Once the fluid is compressed I can’t see how there could/should be any movement.

Unless there's something in the fluid that's compressible... Like air.
Velocipedestrian

Postby AgrAde on Sunday 10:05pm

It'll never be rock hard, but it should feel crisp when it engages with the pads and feel quite firm.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts