Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby wpp1 on Mon 29th Oct 12:40pm

I have been running a 12-27 10s 105 cassette with my compact 50-34 chain rings for many years. you don't seem to be able to buy a 12-27 10s cassette any more. Does anyone know if this is correct.
wpp1
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 29th Oct 9:42pm

wpp1 wrote:I have been running a 12-27 10s 105 cassette with my compact 50-34 chain rings for many years. you don't seem to be able to buy a 12-27 10s cassette any more. Does anyone know if this is correct.

12-28 tiagra out of stock
11-28 ultegra out of stock
12-27 sram 1070 out of stock
12-27 sram 1050
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby el_booto on Tue 30th Oct 6:15pm

Would an 11-28 spin yer wheels?
I have a 105 one sitting idle. ridden once on a downhill bike from new. Didn't work with the frames suspension design and rear derailleur combination so had to swap to an 11-25
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Claude on Tue 30th Oct 8:10pm

wpp1 wrote:I have been running a 12-27 10s 105 cassette with my compact 50-34 chain rings for many years. you don't seem to be able to buy a 12-27 10s cassette any more. Does anyone know if this is correct.

Yep, my LBS told me last summer they weren't available anymore when i'd worn the old one out. Gone to a 28 now.
Claude
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 30th Oct 9:12pm

Are the group set makers trying to say that 130bcd is dead or that we are all weak?
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby wpp1 on Wed 31st Oct 7:57am

Claude wrote:

Yep, my LBS told me last summer they weren't available anymore when i'd worn the old one out. Gone to a 28 now.

Is that a 12-28? with a 50-34 on the front will the derailleur still have have enough range? I don't know why so many cassette now now have an 11, I barely use my 12 as it is.
wpp1
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Claude on Wed 31st Oct 8:15pm

wpp1 wrote:
Claude wrote:

Is that a 12-28? with a 50-34 on the front will the derailleur still have have enough range? I don't know why so many cassette now now have an 11, I barely use my 12 as it is.

Nah, had to go to Ultegra, 11-28 (running 53-39 on the front).
Claude
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Tue 6th Nov 2:07am

i have brought some enve 27.5+ 28 hole rims, and want to build them up on some hubs, was thinking hope pro 4 or dt swiss 350 or 240, the 240s do not seem worth the extra to me?

they are going on a 29er that is also sold as a 27.5+

non of the online stores have 28 hole boost front hubs in stock, would it be Wong to build them with different brand hubs (ie hope rear and dt front)? would it be wrong to build them with silver spokes and black hub and rim? (the bike is black)

i could go to the LBS but have never had much luck with them :(

thanks in advance
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 6th Nov 7:57am

philstar wrote:i have brought some enve 27.5+ 28 hole rims, and want to build them up on some hubs, was thinking hope pro 4 or dt swiss 350 or 240, the 240s do not seem worth the extra to me?

non of the online stores have 28 hole boost front hubs in stock, would it be Wong to build them with different brand hubs (ie hope rear and dt front)? would it be wrong to build them with silver spokes and black hub and rim? (the bike is black)

thanks in advance

That all depends on your own level of OCD. :sly:
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Tue 6th Nov 10:52am

Dougal wrote:
philstar wrote:i have brought some enve 27.5+ 28 hole rims, and want to build them up on some hubs, was thinking hope pro 4 or dt swiss 350 or 240, the 240s do not seem worth the extra to me?

thanks in advance

That all depends on your own level of OCD. :sly:

its not quite CDO
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 6th Nov 11:08am

I'd be ok with different brand hubs as long as they're the same colour.
2 of my wheelsets have black hubs and rims.
One set has silver spokes and the other are black.
Silver does look a little old school and the black does looks sleek but they both look good to me.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Conners on Tue 6th Nov 7:40pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:I'd be ok with different brand hubs as long as they're the same colour.
2 of my wheelsets have black hubs and rims.
One set has silver spokes and the other are black.
Silver does look a little old school and the black does looks sleek but they both look good to me.

+1 to all of that.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 6th Nov 8:49pm

silver spokes look pretty weird on the enve white/black.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 6th Nov 10:41pm

Funny. Silver have always looked reliable and safe to me since early 2000s and the shitty black spokes that were around at the time, failing at every opportunity
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 8th Nov 11:43am

swtchbckr wrote:Funny. Silver have always looked reliable and safe to me since early 2000s and the shitty black spokes that were around at the time, failing at every opportunity

It was only the shitty black spokes that failed. I still have and ride DT black spokes from 2000 with no breakages. One of them was even relaced to 2 different rims and 2 different hubs. Recent wheels are Wheelsmith black (because Hayes family).

Back in the day I took some of the mentioned shitty black spokes (which I removed from a mates wheel as they were cracking at the elbows) to the god of metal (Dr Smaill) at UoC. His thoughts were the black coating on them was from dunking the hot spokes in oil. Which metallurgy wise is a terrible thing to do. Those shitty spokes usually started breaking within 2 years.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts