Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 18/Oct/18 1:03pm

He's asking about dampening, not damping. Clearly girth is important.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 18/Oct/18 1:40pm

I thought part of the appeal of 35mm was that they made them less stiff and rigid?

I run 760mm and I don't like the harsh feeling I used to have on 31.8mm alloy bars.
dwgknz
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 18/Oct/18 2:01pm

Pinkbike had a review of the 35mm Renthal bars that went over this ground.
pinkbike wrote: Renthal understands that an overly stiff bar and stem can do more harm than good in the real world and firmly believe that the attributes of their existing 31.8mm products delivered the optimum ride feel and durability
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Dougal on Thu 18/Oct/18 2:34pm

dwgknz wrote:I thought part of the appeal of 35mm was that they made them less stiff and rigid?

I run 760mm and I don't like the harsh feeling I used to have on 31.8mm alloy bars.

If you want more compliance, you want 25mm bars. Or better suspension. :sly:
Dougal
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 18/Oct/18 3:48pm

If you're wanting to remove vibrations, check out the Spank Vibrocores.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 18/Oct/18 4:02pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:If you're wanting to remove vibrations, check out the Spank Vibrocores.

Did you do vibrations at uni? I can't see a foam core offering anything but noise reduction from stone impacts.

If you have numbness then you've got an ergonomics problem. If you've got arm pump then you've got a suspension problem.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 18/Oct/18 5:34pm

Dougal wrote:If you have numbness then you've got an ergonomics problem. If you've got arm pump then you've got a suspension problem.

In that case Czech out nsmb for the deets.
Velocipedestrian

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 24/Oct/18 6:57pm

I'm planning on replacing my frame bearings and so is a mate. We want to invest in decent tools and share them about. Bonus points if they'll do press fit bb shells.

Any suggestions on specific tools that are value for money? Not washers, hammers, threaded rods etc. Things that even fools like us can use easily.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 24/Oct/18 7:35pm

I did this with a mate a while ago, went for the RWC puller/press kit.
It's been good for the first set... They stock drifts for lots of bearing sizes, and many as kits for specific frames.
Velocipedestrian

Postby dwgknz on Thu 25/Oct/18 8:44am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:I'm planning on replacing my frame bearings and so is a mate. We want to invest in decent tools and share them about. Bonus points if they'll do press fit bb shells.

Any suggestions on specific tools that are value for money? Not washers, hammers, threaded rods etc. Things that even fools like us can use easily.

If Park Tools didn't want me putting BBs in with a coach bolt and washers they wouldn't have given me the bushings when I got the removal tool!
dwgknz
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 25/Oct/18 9:19am

Velocipedestrian

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 26/Oct/18 7:35am

So!!! What do people think of Dave Weagle's latest creation???
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/trust-perfo ... -fork.html
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 26/Oct/18 8:49am

swtchbckr wrote:So!!! What do people think of Dave Weagle's latest creation???
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/trust-perfo ... -fork.html

Hmmm. Enduro weight, XC travel, variable handling as offset changes with stroke. Price that would make carbon rim and frame makers blush. I have a particular commercial interest in a fork with 8 pivots and likely 16 bearings. :satan:

For all the theoretical issues with telescopic forks, they are still the best option out there. They also have completely predictable handling. Because we're not riding mountainbikes around a flat track and only dealing with geometry changes from chassis movements.
Dougal

Postby Rik on Fri 26/Oct/18 10:14am

Dougal wrote:For all the theoretical issues with telescopic forks, they are still the best option out there.

:withstupid:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 26/Oct/18 2:16pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:RWC tools

Thanks VP
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts