Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Thu 4th Oct 2:47pm

dwgknz wrote:
Dougal wrote: I will look at DUB for next wave of BB design. If it's still in favour.

I'll pull mine off and hang on to it then!

Found a comment in the Amazon reviews that you need to change the damper rod to make the RCT3 damper fit.

There was talk of having to change to the rapid recovery or whatever they called it (rebound shaft with shimmed piston) to fit with RCT3. But I've not dug deeper to see why. I think we've only seen 2 RCT3 motion control forks in 4 years and they were factory.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 5th Oct 9:38am

Dougal wrote:
dwgknz wrote:
Dougal wrote: I will look at DUB for next wave of BB design. If it's still in favour.

Found a comment in the Amazon reviews that you need to change the damper rod to make the RCT3 damper fit.

There was talk of having to change to the rapid recovery or whatever they called it (rebound shaft with shimmed piston) to fit with RCT3. But I've not dug deeper to see why. I think we've only seen 2 RCT3 motion control forks in 4 years and they were factory.

larger shaft diameter = moar displacement, moar oil flow for RCT3
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 5th Oct 10:08am

shmoodiver wrote:
Dougal wrote:
dwgknz wrote:

larger shaft diameter = moar displacement, moar oil flow for RCT3

I thought they were all 1/2" shafts. It was only charger which went to 10mm. The shimmed rebound circuits are certainly better.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 5th Oct 11:04am

While we're on RS rebound units...
Oil is starting to creep out of the adjustment dial on my lyrik (old 26").
It's happened to me before, I couldn't figure out how to replace the seal that must be between the damper and the adjuster in the foot nut.
Can it be replaced? I've got 3 lyrik chassis', 4 rebound dampers, 2 MiCo dampers and a selection of spring assemblys.
I just want 2 fully functional forks, and the rebound dampers are currently the weak link.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 5th Oct 11:29am

Velocipedestrian wrote:While we're on RS rebound units...
Oil is starting to creep out of the adjustment dial on my lyrik (old 26").
It's happened to me before, I couldn't figure out how to replace the seal that must be between the damper and the adjuster in the foot nut.
Can it be replaced? I've got 3 lyrik chassis', 4 rebound dampers, 2 MiCo dampers and a selection of spring assemblys.
I just want 2 fully functional forks, and the rebound dampers are currently the weak link.

If it's leaking through the shaft, then you need a new shaft. If it's leaking around the shaft then a clean and replace should get you sorted.

The lower crush washers are there to preserve paint finish. They don't do any sealing.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 5th Oct 3:38pm

I pulled the adjuster and cleaned the visible parts, it may not be as bad as I thought.
The 4th of the units I have leaks through the shaft, there must be a seal that's failed in there, is it really not replaceable?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Dougal on Fri 5th Oct 3:52pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:I pulled the adjuster and cleaned the visible parts, it may not be as bad as I thought.
The 4th of the units I have leaks through the shaft, there must be a seal that's failed in there, is it really not replaceable?

The shafts are usually crimped together.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 5th Oct 4:18pm

Balls
Velocipedestrian

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 5th Oct 5:00pm

Oh well, I'll go back to my previous question and ignore the seeping for now.
Velocipedestrian wrote:How trustworthy do the vorbii find Pro wheelbuilder for finding spoke length?
The dimension measurements tally with what I've been able to find online.

Gonna build my own wheels for once, I predict many days of grabbing a few nipple twists in snatched moments.
Velocipedestrian

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 10th Oct 11:44pm

It's actually really fun, lacing up wheels. I find it quite meditative.

It's the final few percent of 'true' that I find the hardest, and would take that to an expert. Also fun, on a beater bike to experiment with different patterns...
Like this one... I've done the front wheel of my ghetto cruiser in this pattern
twistspoke.jpg
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 11th Oct 8:11am

I've built half a dozen over the years, but only two for myself.
I find the final tension the tricky bit, last time I had the rim inside 1mm true and hop, but when I took it down the LBS for checking he upped the tension.
Might be less anal about that level of accuracy this time, since he's gonna spin the spoke key a few extra times anyway.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Dougal on Thu 11th Oct 10:02am

swtchbckr wrote:It's actually really fun, lacing up wheels. I find it quite meditative.

It's the final few percent of 'true' that I find the hardest, and would take that to an expert. Also fun, on a beater bike to experiment with different patterns...
Like this one... I've done the front wheel of my ghetto cruiser in this pattern

Very cool. I've only done 3x group in CAD, never on a real wheel as it only works on 36H. You've made it quite tricky crossing the spokes near the hub like that.
Dougal

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 11th Oct 7:48pm

Oh, that wasn't a picture of my own, just one I snagged of the interweb for demonstration purposes... I'll have to check mine but I'm sure I didn't have 3 side by side on same side of flange like that.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 18th Oct 12:26pm

What's the difference between running a 35mm bar v a carbon 31.8mm? Will I get a better dampening with a 35mm bar than my carbon bar.
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 18th Oct 12:31pm

dwgknz wrote:What's the difference between running a 35mm bar v a carbon 31.8mm? Will I get a better dampening with a 35mm bar than my carbon bar.

Bigger means stiffer and less spring and damping.

What is your goal and how wide do you run your bars?
Dougal

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts