Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Wed 27th Jun 8:33am

Bought my eldest boy a 24' Giant XTC for his birthday. Got the SL so it comes with as a 3x8. Thinking I might convert him straight to 1x11 as 3x8 is a lot to learn.

So does an 11 spd sram nx cassette fit on an shimano 8/9/10 hub? Any thing else to worry about?

The crank isn't riveted so I can convert that too.
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 6 months

Postby el_booto on Thu 28th Jun 7:59am

NX cassette uses the standard HG pattern freehub so you'll be good
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 28th Jun 2:37pm

Czech the BCD of the cranks before you order a chainring ;)
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby dwgknz on Thu 28th Jun 4:28pm

Chur

It's 104
dwgknz

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Mon 2nd Jul 9:10am

Whats a good value 11 speed XD cassette?

I've been using something that was crazy expensive and it's last 3 years, which I think is pretty good. But it's hard to pay the same money again.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Sims on Mon 2nd Jul 10:06am

Just fitted up new RS505 hydro levers to my Giant TCX. So while the new brakes are phenomenal... the shifting is sub par.

Both the front and rear derailleurs require a significant effort to change gears. After some fiddling I've also run all new cable outers too. Now the shifting is barely okay... I'll be disappointed if this is how they're meant to perform, because these levers were not cheap.
Sims
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby foremannz on Fri 13th Jul 5:29pm

Sims wrote:Just fitted up new RS505 hydro levers to my Giant TCX. So while the new brakes are phenomenal... the shifting is sub par.

Both the front and rear derailleurs require a significant effort to change gears. After some fiddling I've also run all new cable outers too. Now the shifting is barely okay... I'll be disappointed if this is how they're meant to perform, because these levers were not cheap.

My RS505 levers are really smooth for changing. If you undo the inner cables from the derailleurs, can you push the gear cables out of the levers by hand, or is it binding on something?
foremannz
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby oldandlazy on Tue 28th Aug 7:44pm

I’m running a -1 degree works components headset, and every few months the top cup rotates in the frame up to about 40 degrees. I can’t recall any crashes, and the only symptom I pick up is an incessant creaking from the headset spacers above it. I originally installed it with a bit of grease, and have since reinstalled it with carbon paste instead, but the problem keeps happening.

Any ideas?

It’s a carbon frame, and the fit seems appropriately tight.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 28th Aug 9:58pm

Is loctite safe for carbon? If so, 609 bearing retainer could be a winner.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 28th Aug 10:34pm

Anyone have a 142x12 conversion kit for a Hope Pro2 (non-Evo)?
HUB231 is the product code.
Having a hard time finding them online for a decent price and delivery time.
Don't really want to have to order a new Evo freehub, axle and bearings.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby oldandlazy on Thu 30th Aug 4:37pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Is loctite safe for carbon? If so, 609 bearing retainer could be a winner.

I'll give it a go. It can't be as destructive as superglue, or putting a screw through the cup!
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby dwgknz on Sat 8th Sep 10:07am

Will putting a longer screw in a v-brake lever reduce the reach? 7 y-old struggling with the brakes on his bike.
dwgknz

Postby Conners on Sat 8th Sep 10:39am

dwgknz wrote:Will putting a longer screw in a v-brake lever reduce the reach? 7 y-old struggling with the brakes on his bike.

You mean the lever adjust screw? Yes it will (well could do depending on the lever design) but be careful that you set up the calipers so that the travel is nice and short so you can still get full braking before the lever hits the bar.

The other option could be to try going the other way - set up the calipers so that they travel a long way before they bite. That way the lever will be closer to the bar when the pressure comes on.

The better answer will depend on whether he can’t reach the lever at all, or if it’s too hard to pull because it’s too far away.

I’ve oersonally always set up my brakes so that there’s no/minimal lever movement before they bite. But lack of hand strength has never factored into that equation.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 8th Sep 11:51am

It works fine, I found the reach screws on old avid mech levers too short and did the same thing.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Conners on Monday 1:04pm

I've heard of the "wandering bite point" on Shimano brakes quite a bit recently.
Can one of you knowledgeable chaps give a rundown on which model numbers are affected by this feature?
Or even better - is it something specific to look for when potentially making a purchase (ie is it everything with servo wave, or everything with tool adjustable lever reach).
Edit - to make it eeeeeeven simpler - do these XT M8000's have the wandering bit point feature?

Thanks in advance.

And also in advance of:
Dougal wrote:Just buy some Hayes Dominion's, they're the best brakes ever made by mankind
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts