Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Wed 27th Jun 8:33am

Bought my eldest boy a 24' Giant XTC for his birthday. Got the SL so it comes with as a 3x8. Thinking I might convert him straight to 1x11 as 3x8 is a lot to learn.

So does an 11 spd sram nx cassette fit on an shimano 8/9/10 hub? Any thing else to worry about?

The crank isn't riveted so I can convert that too.
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 4 months

Postby el_booto on Thu 28th Jun 7:59am

NX cassette uses the standard HG pattern freehub so you'll be good
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 28th Jun 2:37pm

Czech the BCD of the cranks before you order a chainring ;)
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 28th Jun 4:28pm

Chur

It's 104
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 4 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Mon 2nd Jul 9:10am

Whats a good value 11 speed XD cassette?

I've been using something that was crazy expensive and it's last 3 years, which I think is pretty good. But it's hard to pay the same money again.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Sims on Mon 2nd Jul 10:06am

Just fitted up new RS505 hydro levers to my Giant TCX. So while the new brakes are phenomenal... the shifting is sub par.

Both the front and rear derailleurs require a significant effort to change gears. After some fiddling I've also run all new cable outers too. Now the shifting is barely okay... I'll be disappointed if this is how they're meant to perform, because these levers were not cheap.
Sims
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby foremannz on Fri 13th Jul 5:29pm

Sims wrote:Just fitted up new RS505 hydro levers to my Giant TCX. So while the new brakes are phenomenal... the shifting is sub par.

Both the front and rear derailleurs require a significant effort to change gears. After some fiddling I've also run all new cable outers too. Now the shifting is barely okay... I'll be disappointed if this is how they're meant to perform, because these levers were not cheap.

My RS505 levers are really smooth for changing. If you undo the inner cables from the derailleurs, can you push the gear cables out of the levers by hand, or is it binding on something?
foremannz
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts