Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby OliverBendix on Mon 21st May 9:46am

I have the SKS chromoplastics for my SS commuter/CX type thing (one-one il pompino). Pretty good if you have the appropriate braze ons to fit them. I resorted to cable ties in places to get clearance for CX tyres.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Rik on Mon 21st May 12:52pm

OliverBendix wrote:I have the SKS chromoplastics for my SS commuter/CX type thing (one-one il pompino). Pretty good if you have the appropriate braze ons to fit them. I resorted to cable ties in places to get clearance for CX tyres.

Reminds me it's about that time of year that I need to fit my SKSs. I suspect I may be in the same clearance situation having moved onto CX tyres since last winter.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 28th May 3:21pm

Sorry team, I'm gonna be that guy and ask a really dumb question.

I'm chasing a mystery clunk in my back end.
It feels/sounds like it happens at the start of the rebound stroke over small chatter bumps.
Pivots, headset, wheels, BB etc all tight. Can't feel any play anywhere in the workshop, or replicate it just bouncing around...

Only recent changes are a shock service (maybe, but it feels sweet otherwise) and a different rear tyre (pumped fairy firm, and it's mid travel so rim strikes seem less likely).

Toss me your most obvious armchair diagnoses so one of them can make me feel like a fool for not thinking of it first.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 28th May 3:35pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Sorry team, I'm gonna be that guy and ask a really dumb question.

I'm chasing a mystery clunk in my back end.
It feels/sounds like it happens at the start of the rebound stroke over small chatter bumps.
Pivots, headset, wheels, BB etc all tight. Can't feel any play anywhere in the workshop, or replicate it just bouncing around...

Only recent changes are a shock service (maybe, but it feels sweet otherwise) and a different rear tyre (pumped fairy firm, and it's mid travel so rim strikes seem less likely).

Toss me your most obvious armchair diagnoses so one of them can make me feel like a fool for not thinking of it first.

What's the shock? Is it an audible clunk or more a knock that you feel?
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 28th May 4:13pm

CCDBA CS XV. On a banshee spitfire.

I think I can hear it, but since it's only over stutter bumps I might just be feeling it.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Dougal on Mon 28th May 4:49pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:CCDBA CS XV. On a banshee spitfire.

I think I can hear it, but since it's only over stutter bumps I might just be feeling it.

If it's the job I think it is (18S460) then we didn't change the eyelet bushings so check the hardware for play. Otherwise see if you can replicate it.

Find anything weird then let us know. We look after our customers.
Dougal

Postby Conners on Mon 28th May 11:16pm

Eyelet bushings was my guess too.
When mine went could easily feel it by lifting the bike by the seat. Took me a while to find where it was coming from, but really obvious once I figured it out.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 29th May 9:45am

Eyelet bushings got replaced recently, tight like tigers.

I'll keep looking, cheers y'all.

[thanks Dougal, that's the #]
Velocipedestrian

Postby jimmi71 on Sun 3rd Jun 10:38am

Want to hear a muppet story?

So I've got a rigid steel 29 ss, which gets thrashed an I love it. Its my off road commuter / dog walker / rainy day ride.

BUT: the rear brakes stopped working a while ago. It was pretty annoying at the time, but the front brakes worked well so I just rode carefully. This went on for about 10 months, but today I got up the courage to check them out and see if I could fix them. Google and the youfacetubes told me that the red dial on BB7's are the inboard and outboard pad adjustment. So I walked up to the bike, turned the outboard dial a few clicks and voila. Brakes are working again!

I actually laughed out loud:) Bike mechanics - roll your eyes.
jimmi71
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 3rd Jun 11:05am

Got a chuckle, but good to hear you're learning for yourself.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Conners on Sun 3rd Jun 11:32pm

:D
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Philthy on Thu 7th Jun 12:34pm

Suspension forks - is there any compatibility between brands?
The reason I ask is that I have two forks with straight steerers and mint stanchions but buggered lowers. One is a Pace rc40 fighter I think, the other a Magura Thor 140.
Is it possible to use the CSU of either and match it with lowers from an old fork with knackered stanchions?
Or, is it easy to re glue an aluminum dropout onto a carbon tube?
Philthy
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 7th Jun 1:09pm

Philthy wrote:Suspension forks - is there any compatibility between brands?
The reason I ask is that I have two forks with straight steerers and mint stanchions but buggered lowers. One is a Pace rc40 fighter I think, the other a Magura Thor 140.
Is it possible to use the CSU of either and match it with lowers from an old fork with knackered stanchions?
Or, is it easy to re glue an aluminum dropout onto a carbon tube?

Not really. If they are coil and cartridge damper and the lengths/dimeters/threads match you can swap stanchions over. But that combo is extremely unlikely.

It's only really cases where the same suspension is contract manufactured and found in different brands/colours that it's easy. Like the RS Monarch/DVO Topaz/Suntour Triair shocks.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 7th Jun 2:00pm

I've seen pictures of older 32mm stanchioned Fox and RS forks with switched lowers...
If you're keeping the content of the uppers intact wouldn't it come down to stanchion diameter + spacing + plunger shaft fitting to lowers?
Velocipedestrian

Postby Dougal on Thu 7th Jun 2:05pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:I've seen pictures of older 32mm stanchioned Fox and RS forks with switched lowers...
If you're keeping the content of the uppers intact wouldn't it come down to stanchion diameter + spacing + plunger shaft fitting to lowers?

Depends how your damper and spring side foot bolt arrangement is. Fox and RS both use 8mm bolts/nuts on most forks. So decent interchange there.
Dougal

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts