Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Wed 29/Nov/17 1:27pm

I just want to know how long until the authorities catch up with you.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Sims on Wed 29/Nov/17 1:35pm

Mix some bacon flakes in your loctite
Sims
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29/Nov/17 1:40pm

Outsource to an external contractor?

How easily do the arms (race) slide on? I assume they wear over time and lose the ability to hold the press fit properly.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Conners on Wed 29/Nov/17 2:00pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Outsource to an external contractor?

How easily do the arms (race) slide on? I assume they wear over time and lose the ability to hold the press fit properly.

I thought ISIS was splined, not square taper? Or was that Octalink?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Rik on Wed 29/Nov/17 2:20pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:I assume they wear over time and lose the ability to hold the press fit properly.

Well this is what I think is going on. The problem has only started happening since the ISIS unit in place was replaced with new unit after the last one collapsed. So some sort of incompatibility between the ISIS unit and its flanks, but what to do?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29/Nov/17 2:36pm

Conners wrote:I thought ISIS was splined, not square taper? Or was that Octalink?

It is. But it's a tapered spline, not straight like modern Shimano.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby AgrAde on Wed 29/Nov/17 2:45pm

Once the spline is worn there's no hope for it. SLX cranks are so cheap...
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 29/Nov/17 3:20pm

Rik wrote:I've recently been having issues with ISIS on my left flank. they keep breaking loose. I keep trying to tap them back in place using a hammer strike force. and then trying to keep them there by applying UN specified rotational force.

But a day or so later they break free again. I'm wondering if my tactics are wrong, and whether I should consider other options, like a chemical(agent loctite blue)strike to hold the left flank in place or maybe upping the rotational force applied above the recommended limit.

I've tried Googling the problem but all I get are American articles recommending a drone strike, but I can't see how that's going to help me seeing as how the GPS co-ordinates of the ISIS problem are my garage.

BTW I've had no issues on the right (driving) flank at all.

If you dig a little deeper you'll find that ISIS is just a rebrand and it's all the same people who've been selling this crap worldwide under many different names for decades.

The only way you'll succeed is by forcing these terrible people into bankruptcy. Cut off the power to their factories so they can't pump out the same rubbish under another name next model year.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby el_booto on Wed 29/Nov/17 7:01pm

Sims wrote:Mix some bacon flakes in your loctite

:withstupid:
i find the "orange" grade works really well for this application, especially with the bacon. and when done in a climate controlled area.
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Thu 30/Nov/17 8:58am

Sims wrote:Mix some bacon flakes in your loctite

I have no idea what you're talking about there, but I tried it anyway. Seems to be working a treat, but we'll have to wait a few rides to see what happens.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby Rik on Tue 12/Dec/17 3:05pm

Show of hands.

Has anyone had a freehub ass-plode such that it turning the bike into a fixed gear. Because mine just did, and it's fookin' scary mid-descent.
Rik

Postby Philthy on Tue 12/Dec/17 3:38pm

Yeah Rik it happened to me when a ball bearing cracked to bits on my campy chorus hub. Was fairly "exciting" when it occurred but I got home ok and it was an easy fix.
I am accustomed to riding a fixie wouldn't normally plan to do it down Dyers Pass
Philthy
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 13/Dec/17 3:06pm

Rik wrote:Show of hands.

Has anyone had a freehub ass-plode such that it turning the bike into a fixed gear. Because mine just did, and it's fookin' scary mid-descent.

Yep, happened to me halfway down Riccarton Rd, in the middle of an intersection. :o :crazy: :exclaim:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 13/Dec/17 4:35pm

No, but that reminds me I need to pull the DMR Revolver hub on the HT to bits.
It snags like it wants to become a fixie for a quarter turn every few hundred metres.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Philthy on Wed 13/Dec/17 5:39pm

Yeah those revolver freehubs were definitely a consumable item, luckily pretty cheap to replace
Philthy
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts