Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Thu 2nd Nov 9:15am

dwgknz wrote:Dougal - Does your 2015 27.5 Anthem Adv bearing kit also fit the 2016? Also does anyone know if using non-proprietary bearings is a warranty issue for Giant?

Want to steer clear of a certain shop and use my local but my choices are limited. Had my bike built up on a warranty frame and after about 10 rides found a number of issues. Found out it had been put together without lube in the pivots and the headset not pressed in fully.

I believe they're the same. We're just slow to update the titles on the kits. What do you mean by "no lube in the pivots"? Were the bearings dry inside?
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 2nd Nov 3:13pm

All Giants ship with no grease on the pivot hardware.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 2nd Nov 3:30pm

amb236 wrote:I had a similar thing and it went away when I removed and greased the pedal threads before refitting.

This worked!

and saved me the hassle of yanking the cranks and wailing on the BB.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 2nd Nov 5:29pm

Dougal wrote:
dwgknz wrote:Dougal - Does your 2015 27.5 Anthem Adv bearing kit also fit the 2016? Also does anyone know if using non-proprietary bearings is a warranty issue for Giant?

Want to steer clear of a certain shop and use my local but my choices are limited. Had my bike built up on a warranty frame and after about 10 rides found a number of issues. Found out it had been put together without lube in the pivots and the headset not pressed in fully.

I believe they're the same. We're just slow to update the titles on the kits. What do you mean by "no lube in the pivots"? Were the bearings dry inside?

Bone dry, bearings and pivots despite promise of ‘full service’.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 2nd Nov 5:30pm

shmoodiver wrote:All Giants ship with no grease on the pivot hardware.

Should I keep it that way?
dwgknz

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 2nd Nov 6:43pm

No.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 8th Nov 6:23pm

:D
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 9th Nov 11:25am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:

:D

Oh damn you. Someones not getting their forks back on time today because we couldn't stop laughing. :lol:
Dougal

Postby matnz on Thu 9th Nov 4:40pm

What I really want to know, Are you laughing at the guy because the guy is funny, or are you laughing with him because it true?
matnz
Member for: 2 years 6 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 9th Nov 4:42pm

matnz wrote:What I really want to know, Are you laughing at the guy because the guy is funny, or are you laughing with him because it true?

Yes.
Dougal

Postby dwgknz on Sat 11th Nov 9:51am

On the last ebike bit, was at my lbs last week, he’s had to install a powered bike stand because although he’s doing a roaring trade in selling and fixing them they’ve killed his back.
dwgknz

Postby philstar on Saturday 3:33pm

my work mate wants a commuter bike.

am i doing him a disservice by helping him putting together a k-mart bike, or should i refuse and tell him to but a perfunctory real bike like or

he is earning well above minimum wage so the money is only a psychological problem. but saving to buy a car so still relivant
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby matnz on Saturday 8:53pm

Tell him to buy a used bike and put your skills to helping him select one and give it the once over. He gets a cheap bike, and you get to work on something that is worth spending time on. Even better, ask around here. Someone will give you something wearing Deore or XT from the 1990's or early 2000's that is a better bike, in better working condition, than a brand new KMart special.

Personally, if a mate went ahead with a KMart special, I would not disown him, but it would cost him a lot more in beer if he wanted me to work on it than if he had an older quality bike.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 6 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts