Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Fri 9th Jun 8:30pm

Shirley if you can prove to Mrs V what a great house husband you've been in the last year she'll agree. You could try win Trophy Husband again...?
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 21st Jun 9:42pm

Noticed a rear spoke was loose and the wheel had a wobble at that point. Tried to tighten the nipple but the spoke just rotates with the nipple. Its obviously not one of the j spokes I'm used to, but has a straight end at the hub. Its a giant wheel. Tried clamping the spoke with pliers but it still turns. What to do?
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 22nd Jun 7:04am

let some lube soak into the nipple, then try again.
dwgknz

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Mon 26th Jun 9:21am

Got it sorted. Lubed the nipple and wrapped some insulation tape around the spoke so the pliers could grip better.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby amb236 on Tue 27th Jun 12:16pm

Dougal wrote:
amb236 wrote:I recently purchased a NOS 2014 front suspension fork (x-fusion slant RL2 DLA for what its worth). I have fitted it to my bike and am impressed with its performance other than its 'initiation' of travel (even with the air pressure lower than it should be, the fork will not sag with me on the bike, but once it settles into its travel (i.e. I bounce) it is as soft and plush as expected). It also has a knock when returning to fully extended (which is quite often as it doesn't sit "in" its travel, but 'on' it, if that makes sense). I have read that over time the initial break away (sag) gets better once they are worn in, which I can believe. As for the knock as it returns to fully extended, it may or nay not be related.

So, my question is, as it has been sitting in a box for a few years, should I get it serviced/inspected to check that oil levels/seals etc are in good shape and haven't dried up? And is it possible that the fact the fork has been unused for a number of years is the cause of what I consider unexpected performance?

PS. not looking for feedback on why I should or shouldn't have bought the fork and how much better Manitou forks are or why I should or shouldn't have bought a pike :p

The X-fusion air forks of that vintage were harsh on the top. That's not going to go away with use. It's the design of their negative springs. They use the same dual coil negative that Fox used to use, but I'm guessing their spring rates don't work for the air pressure you're running.

It is what it is.

Just an update on this. Did some hunting on the interwebs and found a few others with the same problem. Long storey short it's an issue with the negative air Spring so airing up properly so the fork sits at max extension. However it's an easy fix (as directed by x fusion) and a simple de air of the fork, full cycle of movement and the zip tie trick to burp the lowers before re airing has it working as intended! Yay for me. Always like to see things sorted online so posting this up incase someone else has the same issue
amb236
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 27th Jun 9:49pm

How much play is too much in the pictured knuckle of a 10spd SLX mech?
It shifts fine, I'm just wondering if I should worry about it assploding...
IMG_20170627_214543.jpg
IMG_20170627_214629.jpg
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 27th Jun 11:25pm

All the ones i've had slog out, shift like crap for ages, and eventually I either get sick of them or smash them on a rock. never had one assplode there.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 28th Jun 6:26am

Velocipedestrian wrote:How much play is too much in the pictured knuckle of a 10spd SLX mech?
It shifts fine, I'm just wondering if I should worry about it assploding...

Isn't that only a worry for someone who doesn't live in the middle of a whole lot of trails?!?
dwgknz

Postby Conners on Wed 28th Jun 7:25am

Couple of zip ties will get you home from an assplosion like that? (If it happened)
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 28th Jun 8:49am

Yeah, I'm not worried about getting home, but I did wonder if I should give it a squeeze with the bigboy pliers... If it's a nub on each end, or a rod going straight through.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Dougal on Wed 28th Jun 9:11am

amb236 wrote:
Dougal wrote:
amb236 wrote:I recently purchased a NOS 2014 front suspension fork (x-fusion slant RL2 DLA for what its worth). I have fitted it to my bike and am impressed with its performance other than its 'initiation' of travel (even with the air pressure lower than it should be, the fork will not sag with me on the bike, but once it settles into its travel (i.e. I bounce) it is as soft and plush as expected). It also has a knock when returning to fully extended (which is quite often as it doesn't sit "in" its travel, but 'on' it, if that makes sense). I have read that over time the initial break away (sag) gets better once they are worn in, which I can believe. As for the knock as it returns to fully extended, it may or nay not be related.

So, my question is, as it has been sitting in a box for a few years, should I get it serviced/inspected to check that oil levels/seals etc are in good shape and haven't dried up? And is it possible that the fact the fork has been unused for a number of years is the cause of what I consider unexpected performance?

PS. not looking for feedback on why I should or shouldn't have bought the fork and how much better Manitou forks are or why I should or shouldn't have bought a pike :p

The X-fusion air forks of that vintage were harsh on the top. That's not going to go away with use. It's the design of their negative springs. They use the same dual coil negative that Fox used to use, but I'm guessing their spring rates don't work for the air pressure you're running.

It is what it is.

Just an update on this. Did some hunting on the interwebs and found a few others with the same problem. Long storey short it's an issue with the negative air Spring so airing up properly so the fork sits at max extension. However it's an easy fix (as directed by x fusion) and a simple de air of the fork, full cycle of movement and the zip tie trick to burp the lowers before re airing has it working as intended! Yay for me. Always like to see things sorted online so posting this up incase someone else has the same issue

The 2014-2017 Slant RL2 doesn't have a negative air spring. The negative springs are two stage coil just like the older Fox FLOAT system.

Trapped air in the lowers will make them harsh. If you've had this once on a new fork that's been sitting it's not a big deal. But if it keeps recurring check the main air seal has lubrication. In worst case you might need a new air seal.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 28th Jun 9:51am

The pin/bolt that holds in XT brake pads...? el booto cant seem to find any, so just wondering if anyone out there has access to one (and a circlip)??

Mine rear one had obviously somehow worked it's way out from circlip grip and wound it's way out, and as i popped a wee jump over a some rocks on the Witch Hill track a couple weekends ago the pads just flew out.

luckily I heard it and put two and two together when I had no brake a few metres down the track and was surprised to see the pad-space vacated! :lol: I wandered back up the trail and found them (and the spring), but no bolt/pin anywhere in evidence. a cable tie got me rolling again, but obvs that's not gonna enjoy any heat.
Last edited by swtchbckr on Wed 28th Jun 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 28th Jun 12:00pm

Go get a split pin if you can't get hold of a bolt immediately, hardware or automotive store. I've never had a problem with them in my shimano brakes.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 28th Jun 12:44pm

I've bought those from wiggle previously, about $3/end.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 28th Jun 9:31pm

I think Tektro pins fit Shmango's, from memory... :eh:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts