Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Tue 2nd May 12:17pm

Getting warranty work at a shop that wasn't the one where I bought my bike. Is beer the appropriate payment?
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby JRA on Tue 2nd May 6:59pm

Is beer the appropriate payment?[/quote]

Yip by the box!
JRA
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby AgrAde on Mon 8th May 2:20pm

Seeing as SRAM's page that details the Boost specifications just spits a 404, Does anyone have info on the 148x12 rotor and cassette spacing?

Google returns one million marketing spiels detailing the flange width increase, conflicting reports of cassette location and nothing about the rotor.
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 8th May 2:34pm

Pivot did some good diagrams.
(to tout their super plus OG 157 boost)
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Mon 8th May 2:41pm

AgrAde wrote:Seeing as SRAM's page that details the Boost specifications just spits a 404, Does anyone have info on the 148x12 rotor and cassette spacing?

Google returns one million marketing spiels detailing the flange width increase, conflicting reports of cassette location and nothing about the rotor.


Is it not the same as 142? Which is 135 rotor position plus the axle extends another 3.5mm each side?
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby AgrAde on Mon 8th May 3:00pm

So the rotor is the same distance from the left dropout as 142, and 3mm further from the centre of the bike? cassette the same?
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Mon 8th May 3:13pm

AgrAde wrote:So the rotor is the same distance from the left dropout as 142, and 3mm further from the centre of the bike? cassette the same?


That's what I'd expect.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby AgrAde on Mon 8th May 3:56pm

Cool. Yeah, I thought so but hate assumptions. I've grumbled at SRAM on facebook but i'll run with that for now.
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby amb236 on Thu 1st Jun 10:07am

I recently purchased a NOS 2014 front suspension fork (x-fusion slant RL2 DLA for what its worth). I have fitted it to my bike and am impressed with its performance other than its 'initiation' of travel (even with the air pressure lower than it should be, the fork will not sag with me on the bike, but once it settles into its travel (i.e. I bounce) it is as soft and plush as expected). It also has a knock when returning to fully extended (which is quite often as it doesn't sit "in" its travel, but 'on' it, if that makes sense). I have read that over time the initial break away (sag) gets better once they are worn in, which I can believe. As for the knock as it returns to fully extended, it may or nay not be related.

So, my question is, as it has been sitting in a box for a few years, should I get it serviced/inspected to check that oil levels/seals etc are in good shape and haven't dried up? And is it possible that the fact the fork has been unused for a number of years is the cause of what I consider unexpected performance?

PS. not looking for feedback on why I should or shouldn't have bought the fork and how much better Manitou forks are or why I should or shouldn't have bought a pike :p
amb236
Member for: 4 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Thu 1st Jun 10:24am

amb236 wrote:I recently purchased a NOS 2014 front suspension fork (x-fusion slant RL2 DLA for what its worth). I have fitted it to my bike and am impressed with its performance other than its 'initiation' of travel (even with the air pressure lower than it should be, the fork will not sag with me on the bike, but once it settles into its travel (i.e. I bounce) it is as soft and plush as expected). It also has a knock when returning to fully extended (which is quite often as it doesn't sit "in" its travel, but 'on' it, if that makes sense). I have read that over time the initial break away (sag) gets better once they are worn in, which I can believe. As for the knock as it returns to fully extended, it may or nay not be related.

So, my question is, as it has been sitting in a box for a few years, should I get it serviced/inspected to check that oil levels/seals etc are in good shape and haven't dried up? And is it possible that the fact the fork has been unused for a number of years is the cause of what I consider unexpected performance?

PS. not looking for feedback on why I should or shouldn't have bought the fork and how much better Manitou forks are or why I should or shouldn't have bought a pike :p


The X-fusion air forks of that vintage were harsh on the top. That's not going to go away with use. It's the design of their negative springs. They use the same dual coil negative that Fox used to use, but I'm guessing their spring rates don't work for the air pressure you're running.

It is what it is.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby amb236 on Thu 1st Jun 1:26pm

Dougal wrote:
The X-fusion air forks of that vintage were harsh on the top. That's not going to go away with use. It's the design of their negative springs. They use the same dual coil negative that Fox used to use, but I'm guessing their spring rates don't work for the air pressure you're running.

It is what it is.


Thanks for that (actually), good to know. Do you see any issue with using a NOS fork straight out of the box?
amb236
Member for: 4 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Thu 1st Jun 2:06pm

amb236 wrote:Thanks for that (actually), good to know. Do you see any issue with using a NOS fork straight out of the box?


3 years old is no problem unless you see any obvious leaks.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Sat 3rd Jun 1:59pm

Dougal did you have something on your newsletter about the best hose route for the reverse arch? Can't find it now and replacing the brakes on the missus's bike....
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 4 years 7 months

dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Sat 3rd Jun 5:20pm



Excellent, the system is working! I had witnessed some absolute horrors before we published that. The stock setup and guides work great for riders running the left-front brake setup. For our right-front the way above using one of the mounts works best.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

52 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 50 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles