Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Philthy on Sun 26/Feb/17 7:47pm

EVO bearings are stainless steel right? and can be replaced with real bearings like in the original pro 2? or does one need a non-EVO spindle to make it work?
Philthy
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 26/Feb/17 7:50pm

My Evo has enduro bearings inside.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Sun 26/Feb/17 7:53pm

Philthy wrote:EVO bearings are stainless steel right? and can be replaced with real bearings like in the original pro 2?

Yep!
AgrAde
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby Wobbler on Sun 26/Feb/17 8:28pm

you can also un evo them and go back to the larger non evo freehub bearings etc with an axle swap, the hub shells are the same
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 26/Feb/17 9:07pm

Didn't the 12*142 axles have issues with thin walls?

I used a 135 bolt up that was tough as, but read people had problems with the 142 units.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Wobbler on Sun 26/Feb/17 9:38pm

I know there was a bunch axles snapping back on the 150mm ones on maxle (lites?) that had stepped axles. I'm not sure about 142s, I have a feeling the evos predate 142s being common place.

The evos have beefed up axles at the expense of much smaller freehub bearings. I needed a new freehub when I did mine and decided to go all the way back to non evo so I wouldnt have further freehub issues. I also went steel at the same time. Its quite likely that simply going to non stainless bearings would have been sufficent.
Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby el_booto on Sun 26/Feb/17 9:41pm

Wobbler wrote:you can also un evo them and go back to the larger non evo freehub bearings etc with an axle swap, the hub shells are the same

dude... the bearings have the same radius (6802 vs 6803, 15/24/5 vs 17/26/5)
the OG pro 2 were steel bearings, evo they went to stainless and had a bad batch turn up
the only difference besides the 3 letters tacked onto the name, is the evo has a 17mm axle straight through where the original stepped down to 15mm under the freehub and was built around a 10mm TA not a 12mm
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 26/Feb/17 9:51pm

el_booto wrote:
Wobbler wrote:you can also un evo them and go back to the larger non evo freehub bearings etc with an axle swap, the hub shells are the same

dude... the bearings have the same radius (6802 vs 6803, 15/24/5 vs 17/26/5)
the OG pro 2 were steel bearings, evo they went to stainless and had a bad batch turn up
the only difference besides the 3 letters tacked onto the name, is the evo has a 17mm axle straight through where the original stepped down to 15mm under the freehub and was built around a 10mm TA not a 12mm

shows how shit my memory is, I thought the Ods were the same and the evos had larger Ids to fit the bigger axle

disregard all my shit
Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 27/Feb/17 7:25pm

Wobbler wrote:so headset questions

bike is a zs56 top and bottom (2014 mondraker summum) the existing cups are tight which results in tight bearings etc. fork steerer is conventional 1 1/8 going on. Existing headset has a oversized collet jobby to take up the room (36degree) and the obligatory bottom crown race of a similar design.

I'm contemplating replacing the whole headset after a reaming to hopefully fix the tightness at some point (assuming I can find someone with a 56mm reamer setup).

As far as I can find only one place (some german blokes for like 80 pounds) make a ZS56/28.6 top assembly, ZS56/30 for the bottom is easy peasy

I've figured out if I grab a pair of zs56/30 bottom cups from canecreek who use the 36 degree bearings I could them use one of the bottom cups in the top and combine it with the old headsets collet and top cover and it would be apples

other option is a reach extend headset from works (I dont need the front end any longer..)

am I missing something really dumb here?

Work has got the parts in stock to make what you need. One question though is it a 56mm ZS frame or is it a 55mm ZS frame?
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 19 years 10 months

Postby el_booto on Mon 27/Feb/17 8:44pm

summum frames are 56mm, IIRC it's stated on the upper bearing cover

if it's not, we can soon make it 56 :satan:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 27/Feb/17 9:12pm

Cool beans, can confirm it a 56
Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby oldandlazy on Tue 28/Feb/17 8:31pm

My Giant OEM road wheel snapped a spoke dead centre of the spoke. Is there any point in trying to replace the single spoke, given that I rode 5km home on the wheel? Or should I go straight to a rebuild with new spokes? Giant P-SL1 If it makes any difference.
oldandlazy
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Thu 2/Mar/17 9:06pm

So what's up with most local dealers only stocking two travel options in the yari fork? I know we're only a little old faraway land but I'd love to get my hands on a 27.5 dual position 150mm version in white. ..

Does anyone know how long that'd take to come in to the country if ordered it special, like?
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 2/Mar/17 9:23pm

mudlover/hater wrote:So what's up with most local dealers only stocking two travel options in the yari fork? I know we're only a little old faraway land but I'd love to get my hands on a 27.5 dual position 150mm version in white. ..

Does anyone know how long that'd take to come in to the country if ordered it special, like?

You want to be that specific and want it in stock?

Yari isn't even listed in DPA on the importers portal. Nor are they listed in white. Nor 150mm.
But if you do find a white DPA, you can space them down to whatever travel you like. It's the Solo Air that can't be changed without swapping rod lengths.
Dougal
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 2/Mar/17 9:48pm

Ooh, cold water on the poor wee lads dreams.
Velocipedestrian

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts