Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Philthy on Thu 16/Feb/17 10:18am

Cool, so what's involved in heat treating to T6 and would there likely be someone in dunedin who could do it?
Philthy
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 16/Feb/17 10:36am

There's a Vorb member in Chch with a number of welding tickets!

I'm sure he could Tell-You-About-It

*Sneaky Bump
dwgknz
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 16/Feb/17 10:37am

Philthy wrote:Cool, so what's involved in heat treating to T6 and would there likely be someone in dunedin who could do it?

No-one in Dunedin that I'm aware of. I used Heat Treatments Ltd in Auckland. I cannot find any good web links for you right now on the process, this is about it: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2012/374719/

It's held at an elevated temperature (within a window of a few degrees) to put all the copper back into solution. Then quenched and artificially aged to get you to required strength in about 18 hours instead of one year.

If anyone tells you it doesn't need heat-treatment or claims it just needs a slow cool. Then run the other way. There are very few people welding in the industry who understand heat-treatment and metallurgy.
Dougal
Member for: 19 years 2 months

Postby el_booto on Thu 16/Feb/17 8:39pm

Philthy wrote:Cool, so what's involved in heat treating to T6 and would there likely be someone in dunedin who could do it?

know anyone who works in the maintenance hanger at dunedin airport?
they'd be the people to ask, they may have the gear there or know if anyone in dunedin has it
otherwise maybe talk to Jeff at kiwi bikes, or get it welded by a local outfit and send it to auckland
some research on the google tells me ventana use 6061 tube to make their frames
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby barcode on Fri 17/Feb/17 11:29am

Hey everyone... Could anyone tell me what adapter I need to mount a hayes 9 w/203mm rotor to a post mount marzocchi 888 bomber? LBS can't figure it out.
barcode
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 17/Feb/17 11:36am

barcode wrote:Hey everyone... Could anyone tell me what adapter I need to mount a hayes 9 w/203mm rotor to a post mount marzocchi 888 bomber? LBS can't figure it out.

What size mount does the 888 have factory? It would usually mount a 160mm or 180mm without any adapters.

The 160-203mm Hayes adapter is 98-15072

The 180-203mm Hayes adapter is 98-30027

A 160-180mm adapter looks very similar to a 180-203mm, but they are ~1.5mm short.

Cyclesport are clearing out their Hayes stuff but should have the 160-203mm brackets still. They likely don't have a 180-203mm but we normally do at Shockcraft because the Mattoc and Magnum forks are 180mm out the box.
Dougal

Postby barcode on Fri 17/Feb/17 1:11pm

Thank you!!
barcode
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 17/Feb/17 7:43pm

barcode wrote:Hey everyone... Could anyone tell me what adapter I need to mount a hayes 9 w/203mm rotor to a post mount marzocchi 888 bomber? LBS can't figure it out.

What model year 888, if it's a 38mm stanchion fork the caliper will bolt directly on and work with a 200/203mm rotor

Last of the 35mm forks are post mount and a "plus 40mm" adapter to go from 160mm post mount to a 203mm rotor

Older IS mount 888's need a 160 is to 200mm post adapter, plus spacer washers to move the adapter towards the middle of the fork

It would have been a 2 minute or less phone call to where I work (for your LBS ) to get advice on Marzocchi fork mounting "standards" and we could have steered them in the right direction for brake mounts too...
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 20 years 4 months

Postby el_booto on Fri 17/Feb/17 7:53pm

pushbikerider wrote:

What model year 888, if it's a 38mm stanchion fork the caliper will bolt directly on and work with a 200/203mm rotor

Last of the 35mm forks are post mount and a "plus 40mm" adapter to go from 160mm post mount to a 203mm rotor

Older IS mount 888's need a 160 is to 200mm post adapter, plus spacer washers to move the adapter towards the middle of the fork

It would have been a 2 minute or less phone call to where I work (for your LBS ) to get advice on Marzocchi fork mounting "standards" and we could have steered them in the right direction for brake mounts too...

or a QR20 adapter, they still exist in some circles
i have a stack of shimano ones in my toolbox for such circumstances.
el_booto

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 17/Feb/17 8:18pm

el_booto wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:

or a QR20 adapter, they still exist in some circles
i have a stack of shimano ones in my toolbox for such circumstances.

I haven’t seen one of those adapters in a wee while, I would have guessed that you have a couple in your workshop supplies, just in case
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 20 years 4 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 18/Feb/17 12:51pm

Sooooooo 2014 888 related question, the springs are not supposed to be wrapped with plastic right?

16830520_10211986298803188_1634330180_n (1).jpg
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 18/Feb/17 2:22pm

dwgknz wrote:There's a Vorb member in Chch with a number of welding tickets!

I'm sure he could Tell-You-About-It

*Sneaky Bump

Advanced welding tickets!
Don't sell him short.

I'd really like to see a current picture of that bike.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby el_booto on Sat 18/Feb/17 5:59pm

Wobbler wrote:Sooooooo 2014 888 related question, the springs are not supposed to be wrapped with plastic right?

yup, it's their take on heat shrink

the spring diameter is quite big in relation to the inside of the stanchion so regular ol heat shrink don't fit without some violence
el_booto

Postby Dougal on Tue 21/Feb/17 8:58am

Wobbler wrote:Sooooooo 2014 888 related question, the springs are not supposed to be wrapped with plastic right?

Yeah it's a PITA. Have fun picking all the flaked off bits out of the spring and stanchions.

A couple of bands of (thin) heat shrink work better and last longer.
Dougal

Postby comadi on Sat 25/Feb/17 8:36am

Is a Campag 11 speed cassette compatible with Shimano 11 speed set up ?
Probikekit have a good price on a ff campag disc wheel, but I have Shimano; can the 2 be matched for gear changing when you want to do a quick change for a tt etc ?
comadi
Member for: 5 years 10 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts