Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 16/Jan/17 9:32pm

Win
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby wuffy on Mon 16/Jan/17 10:11pm

Next step, Fox 32 Float 150s. Lockout doesn't work, going to drain/clean/replace them and see if I can find the fault. I probably won't be able to, If the damper cartidge is gonner are they much to replace?

I assume Basic carries the Fox green 10 weight oil and Fox 32 seal kits?
wuffy
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Flynnster on Tue 17/Jan/17 10:02pm

Hi all

is it possible to replace the ratchet ring in a powertap hub? If so, can it be done locally, ie without the need to send it to the US?

The teeth look quite worn and the freehub is slipping under sudden load.

Many thanks.
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 18/Jan/17 10:08pm

What are the magic tyre sealing crystals in Stans made of? It's not going to be outlawed with the new microbead ban is it?
dwgknz
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby el_booto on Wed 18/Jan/17 10:41pm

dwgknz wrote:What are the magic tyre sealing crystals in Stans made of? It's not going to be outlawed with the new microbead ban is it?

wouldn't think so, pretty sure it's just shredded latex rubber innit :eh:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby pb on Mon 30/Jan/17 9:56pm

So, I need some help on servicing a set of Fox 32mm 120mm air forks. They are off a Giant Trance X2 2010, but not exactly sure if the forks are 2009 or 2010 model.

Anyway, they starting leaking oil around the damper side seal a while ago so I figured a service kit from shockcraft would be the way to go (how hard can it be...). The seal kit arrived and ended up in the cupboard while I didnt ride my bike for ages. Now that I have finally got around to riding my bike again, they really need fixing now. So time to watch some youtube videos, look up some fox charts, then get out the bits from the cupboard... Confusion time.

The kit from shockcraft came with a SKF seal kit with foam rings crush washers etc, no problems there. The problem is with the two bottles of oil, and small pillow pack for the air chamber. The big bottle is 'fork oil', the other 'bushing lube'. Presumably the fork oil is the main oil that goes into the open bath at the bottom of the fork, but bushing lube doesn't seem to get a mention in the youtubage or instructions I have read.

On the oil volumes chart http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htm the fork appears to be a row 27 so I need:
- damper side bath 160mL 10wt
- spring side 30mL 10wt
- air chamber 5mL float fluid

Can someone please help explain where the bushing lube fits into this?
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 30/Jan/17 10:10pm

From the Shockcraft site:
Bushing Lubricant

Lubricating oil for suspension forks lower leg bushings.

So that should go into the lowers.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 20 years 0 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 30/Jan/17 10:12pm

damper side is fork oil
spring side is bushing lube
and don't use the air chamber oil, just put a smidge of the bushing lube up thur

thats assuming they're an open bath fork?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby pb on Mon 30/Jan/17 10:54pm

shmoodiver wrote:damper side is fork oil
spring side is bushing lube
and don't use the air chamber oil, just put a smidge of the bushing lube up thur

thats assuming they're an open bath fork?

I assume they are open bath, the oil volumes chart I linked to before seems to indicate they are.
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."

Postby pb on Mon 30/Jan/17 10:57pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:From the Shockcraft site:
Bushing Lubricant

Lubricating oil for suspension forks lower leg bushings.

So that should go into the lowers.

Presumably only the spring side like shmoodiver mentioned with fork oil in the damper side?
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."

Postby pb on Mon 30/Jan/17 11:09pm

And now with a bit more reading on the shockcraft website I find an awesome explanation of all this: http://www.shockcraft.co.nz/news/bike-o ... -oct-2016/

Think I'm good to go now. Thanks.
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."

Postby Dougal on Tue 31/Jan/17 6:12pm

pb wrote:So, I need some help on servicing a set of Fox 32mm 120mm air forks. They are off a Giant Trance X2 2010, but not exactly sure if the forks are 2009 or 2010 model.

Anyway, they starting leaking oil around the damper side seal a while ago so I figured a service kit from shockcraft would be the way to go (how hard can it be...). The seal kit arrived and ended up in the cupboard while I didnt ride my bike for ages. Now that I have finally got around to riding my bike again, they really need fixing now. So time to watch some youtube videos, look up some fox charts, then get out the bits from the cupboard... Confusion time.

The kit from shockcraft came with a SKF seal kit with foam rings crush washers etc, no problems there. The problem is with the two bottles of oil, and small pillow pack for the air chamber. The big bottle is 'fork oil', the other 'bushing lube'. Presumably the fork oil is the main oil that goes into the open bath at the bottom of the fork, but bushing lube doesn't seem to get a mention in the youtubage or instructions I have read.

On the oil volumes chart http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htm the fork appears to be a row 27 so I need:
- damper side bath 160mL 10wt
- spring side 30mL 10wt
- air chamber 5mL float fluid

Can someone please help explain where the bushing lube fits into this?

A brief history of Fox 32 oil.

They used to use 7wt oil for everything. Damper oil, bushing lube etc.
Then they switched to two different types of 10wt. The green lubricated better, the red handled heat better.
Then they improved their seals (thanks SKF) and could use better, thicker oil for bushing lube. 20wt gold.
Then the red got reformulated to be more slippery and they made the green obselete.
Then they changed the valving in their enclosed dampers (FIT) and switched to a yellow 5wt oil in those.

Your oil chart with shockcraft fluids will be:
160cc Motorex red oil in the damper side.
30ml of the honey coloured Supergliss in the lower legs.
5cc of float fluid (or RWC APL) in the air chamber.

Make sure you clean out the air chamber. FLOAT forks pump the oil from the lowers up into the air chamber so it ends up overfull and limits travel.

The main reason for the Fox float fluid (or RWC Air Piston Lube) is it clings to the walls really well so it doesn't get blown out the air valve when you hook a pump on.
Dougal
Member for: 19 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 31/Jan/17 6:14pm

wuffy wrote:Next step, Fox 32 Float 150s. Lockout doesn't work, going to drain/clean/replace them and see if I can find the fault. I probably won't be able to, If the damper cartidge is gonner are they much to replace?

I assume Basic carries the Fox green 10 weight oil and Fox 32 seal kits?

Did you get the lockout sorted? Which type of damper is it?
Fox green is long gone.
Dougal

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 31/Jan/17 7:50pm

Dougal wrote:
Make sure you clean out the air chamber. FLOAT forks pump the oil from the lowers up into the air chamber so it ends up overfull and limits travel.

And fit a scraper seal so it doesn't happen anymore.
shmoodiver

Postby Dougal on Tue 31/Jan/17 8:35pm

shmoodiver wrote:
Dougal wrote:

And fit a scraper seal so it doesn't happen anymore.

But then you won't have the "fork getting harsh" to let you know that it's service time! :sneaky:
Dougal

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts