Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Slim on Sat 14/Jan/17 7:59am

13daza wrote:Wheres a good place to get a carbon frame checked/repaired . My Quantum got dinged whilst being transported at an event (GRRRR) and cracked the non drive side chain stay .Insurance has paid for a new frame (sadly not a Quantum as they are no longer available which is a shame as it was an excellent bike) but it looks at this stage like they're not interested in recovering the damaged one .
Ive pretty much got a complete 105/Ultegra 10 sp groupset lying around and will just need a stem,bars,cables and bar tape ,if I can get the frame repaired (at a reasonable rate) there may be rainy day/spare /training bike I can sneak under the missus' radar without upsetting the S-1 rule .

There is a place in Gasson st, christchurch that does frame repairs. Called something like plastech if I remember correctly.
Slim
Member for: 19 years 0 months

Postby dwgknz on Sat 14/Jan/17 4:30pm

What do people like in 11 speed chains these days?

Need to replace a KMC 11X SL DLC which I got 600 kms out of.
dwgknz
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby el_booto on Sat 14/Jan/17 6:08pm

dwgknz wrote:What do people like in 11 speed chains these days?

Need to replace a KMC 11X SL DLC which I got 600 kms out of.

what :blink:
did you buy it locally? that's the sort of thing the local distro should be hearing about
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby dwgknz on Sat 14/Jan/17 7:06pm

Measured it at an easy 0.5 on the park tools measurer.

What should a chain be doing?

It came on the Anthem.
dwgknz

Postby el_booto on Sat 14/Jan/17 8:11pm

dwgknz wrote:Measured it at an easy 0.5 on the park tools measurer.

It came on the Anthem.

sliding scale gauge or a plate "go/no go" checker?
i was always under the impression a chain (and especially an X11 DLC) should get 1000km minimum in ugly-ish conditions
i could be completely wrong though :paranoid:
i've only ever worn out one chain, and it took me three years...
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby dwgknz on Sat 14/Jan/17 8:27pm

el_booto wrote:

It came on the Anthem.

i was always under the impression a chain (and especially an X11 DLC) should get 1000km minimum in ugly-ish conditions

Plate go/ no go.

Everyone has been warning me to check it, so I did.

Problem I have is that on my local trails I have to ride through 2 streams before I climb a dusty hill. Chain is loud by the time I reach the top (7km) but cbf stopping to lube on a ride.
dwgknz

Postby wuffy on Sat 14/Jan/17 9:05pm

Took the Dhx4 off again, checked over with the soap and all, couldnt find a leak. Pressurised it to 250 psi, then submerged it in water. No bubbles, again. Re-fit it, dropped to 200 psi and rode it a little. Lost about 50 psi, just checked it after leaving it 3 hours or so and its down to like 50 psi. Re-pumped and it lost it instantly under load. I have no idea whats going on. Going to take it into the shop nek week I guess.
wuffy
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 14/Jan/17 10:03pm

Re seat the main shaft seals with grease behind them
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby wuffy on Sun 15/Jan/17 12:57am

shmoodiver wrote:Re seat the main shaft seals with grease behind them

The seals on the pushrod?
wuffy

Postby Slim on Sun 15/Jan/17 7:06am

Check the valve core is tight too, I had a Rp23 with similar issues and it turned out to be the core was loose.
Slim

Postby Slim on Sun 15/Jan/17 7:13am

dwgknz wrote:
el_booto wrote:

It came on the Anthem.

Plate go/ no go.

Everyone has been warning me to check it, so I did.

Problem I have is that on my local trails I have to ride through 2 streams before I climb a dusty hill. Chain is loud by the time I reach the top (7km) but cbf stopping to lube on a ride.

I'm not surprised you have issues then. There is a massive variation in component life based on conditions. What gear do you climb that 7km in? What chainlube do you run?
Slim

Postby mudguard on Sun 15/Jan/17 9:35am

dwgknz wrote:Problem I have is that on my local trails I have to ride through 2 streams before I climb a dusty hill. Chain is loud by the time I reach the top (7km) but cbf stopping to lube on a ride.

Parraffin Wax? I've got a whole block of it. Turns out a kilo of it is rather a lot. Really only lasts maybe 50km for me. But the best thing is it keeps the chain looking brand new, Woodhill sand doesn't stick to it. But obviously it's a pain in the arse to do but with quick links it's not bad. I take the chain off, coil it up in pot, put on the element, low heat then just put the block on top until it melts enough to submerge the chain. All the crap falls off and sinks. Then after 10 minutes or so I fish it out, hang it up to cool, then put back on my bike.
Wax.jpg
Last edited by mudguard on Sun 15/Jan/17 3:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudguard
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Sun 15/Jan/17 2:15pm

dwgknz wrote:Problem I have is that on my local trails I have to ride through 2 streams before I climb a dusty hill. Chain is loud by the time I reach the top (7km) but cbf stopping to lube on a ride.

How deep/wide are we talking for the streams? Is it possible to cross them without getting your drivetrain wet?

As a rule I if I think my drivetrain is going to get wet/submerged on a stream/river crossing I shoulder my bike - just not worth the accelerated wear. And if your drivetrain is wet you're getting close to BB and hub level as well - not ideal stuff to take swimming.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby doofus on Mon 16/Jan/17 11:13am

a bit left-field but try ASP in Settlers Crescent, ChCh, they have made carbon bikes, and make all sorts of carbon things..

ta
CJK

13daza wrote:Wheres a good place to get a carbon frame checked/repaired . My Quantum got dinged whilst being transported at an event (GRRRR) and cracked the non drive side chain stay .Insurance has paid for a new frame (sadly not a Quantum as they are no longer available which is a shame as it was an excellent bike) but it looks at this stage like they're not interested in recovering the damaged one .
Ive pretty much got a complete 105/Ultegra 10 sp groupset lying around and will just need a stem,bars,cables and bar tape ,if I can get the frame repaired (at a reasonable rate) there may be rainy day/spare /training bike I can sneak under the missus' radar without upsetting the S-1 rule .
doofus
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby wuffy on Mon 16/Jan/17 8:36pm

shmoodiver wrote:Re seat the main shaft seals with grease behind them

Took shock apart, re-checked all seals and o-rings, re-installed and inflated to 250psi. Now it holds air fine.

Science n shit
wuffy

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts