one of those rubber jobbies for undoing oil filters
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 12/Jan/17 6:33pm

Wrap of inner tube.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 12/Jan/17 9:11pm

Donezo. Wrappedna tube around it then set it in a vice gently. Popped it open, clean, bew seals and oil, back to psi. Now it won't hold air, whats the most common cause? Can not tight enough?
wuffy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Thu 12/Jan/17 10:40pm

Do you have any spare seals left over?
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 12/Jan/17 11:10pm

wuffy wrote:Donezo. Wrappedna tube around it then set it in a vice gently. Popped it open, clean, bew seals and oil, back to psi. Now it won't hold air, whats the most common cause? Can not tight enough?

Spray it with a spray cleaner and see where it bubbles.......the bubbles will be filled with the air that is escaping from the shock......the air Will be coming from a leak....hth :D
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 12/Jan/17 11:37pm

Conners wrote:Do you have any spare seals left over?

Only ones that I didn't need to replace. Does the timing of re-attaching the air canister matter? just realized I re-fitted the air sleve and didn't extend out the shock shaft before inflating, would that make a difference in terms of where oil would be? Maybe messed up one of the chambers?

Bikes together now, will take it apart again tomorrow and re-build the shock again and to see what I can do and then try the bubble test.
wuffy

Postby el_booto on Thu 12/Jan/17 11:41pm

wuffy wrote:Donezo. Wrappedna tube around it then set it in a vice gently. Popped it open, clean, bew seals and oil, back to psi. Now it won't hold air, whats the most common cause? Can not tight enough?

is it a hi volume can?
could be an unseated O-ring in that...
or buildup of undesirable material in the valve (if it's been run uncapped)

as per instructions by the shmoo, hit that garbage with some soapy water and see where the bubbles are at

timing is irrelevant, fox air cans have an equalizing port on the seal end that balances pressure between pos and neg chambers
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby wuffy on Thu 12/Jan/17 11:55pm

el_booto wrote:

is it a hi volume can?
could be an unseated O-ring in that...
or buildup of undesirable material in the valve (if it's been run uncapped)

as per instructions by the shmoo, hit that garbage with some soapy water and see where the bubbles are at

timing is irrelevant, fox air cans have an equalizing port on the seal end that balances pressure between pos and neg chambers

It's an 09 Dhx 4 Air, doesn't have the hi volume spec but unsure if the secondary outter sleve is the pre-marketed version of hi vol? Has the Secondary sleeve so maybe theres an unseated O-ring inbetween that and the main sleeve. While on the point, where does the secondary sleeve and the main reservoir's air chamber connect? I can't for the life of me find any port or valve that links the two together?
wuffy

Postby el_booto on Fri 13/Jan/17 12:07am

DHX airs predomainantly came with a high volume air can (i have seen them with low volumes but they look silly)
they're connected by two holes through the primary can, you will only be able to see them when the can is off the shock about half an inch past the threads that connect the damper and the can
el_booto

Postby dwgknz on Fri 13/Jan/17 8:19am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Got a new full carbon frame that I want to protect. What are my options apart from locking it away?
None of the frame protection suppliers have make kits for this particular frame.
Would an auto-spray shop be the go? Who in Wellington?

I got an off cut of the 3M bonnet protector tape off a local panel beater in Paraparaumu. They don't keep it in stock as 1 guy travels round and does all the work for everyone but he just got the guy to leave a bit behind.
dwgknz
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby slidecontrol on Fri 13/Jan/17 9:38am

I got some protector tape from a motorbike shop ages ago. Might be worth a go?
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby akr on Fri 13/Jan/17 1:58pm

motorbike shop worked for me too
akr
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby 13daza on Fri 13/Jan/17 10:14pm

Wheres a good place to get a carbon frame checked/repaired . My Quantum got dinged whilst being transported at an event (GRRRR) and cracked the non drive side chain stay .Insurance has paid for a new frame (sadly not a Quantum as they are no longer available which is a shame as it was an excellent bike) but it looks at this stage like they're not interested in recovering the damaged one .
Ive pretty much got a complete 105/Ultegra 10 sp groupset lying around and will just need a stem,bars,cables and bar tape ,if I can get the frame repaired (at a reasonable rate) there may be rainy day/spare /training bike I can sneak under the missus' radar without upsetting the S-1 rule .
13daza
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 13/Jan/17 10:31pm

Maxxis stickers.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby el_booto on Fri 13/Jan/17 10:38pm

13daza wrote:Wheres a good place to get a carbon frame checked/repaired . My Quantum got dinged whilst being transported at an event (GRRRR) and cracked the non drive side chain stay .Insurance has paid for a new frame (sadly not a Quantum as they are no longer available which is a shame as it was an excellent bike) but it looks at this stage like they're not interested in recovering the damaged one .
Ive pretty much got a complete 105/Ultegra 10 sp groupset lying around and will just need a stem,bars,cables and bar tape ,if I can get the frame repaired (at a reasonable rate) there may be rainy day/spare /training bike I can sneak under the missus' radar without upsetting the S-1 rule .

ask your local suzuki/kawasaki dealership who they get to repair the carbon fairings on crashed bikes, they should be able to point you to someone who can sort it
el_booto

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts