Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Conners on Thu 29/Dec/16 8:46pm

philstar wrote:
mudguard wrote:Argh. Creaks. I hate them. Sounds like it's coming from the BB. It only does it pedalling, and in the bigger cogs. I've pulled most of the bike apart. Doesn't make any noise doing bunny hops, or back pedalling, or isn't noticeable in the smaller cogs (or I'm going too quick to hear it).

Suspension linkage is smooth, everything is torqued to spec, the BB bearings spin smoothly too. I've checked the freehub, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Grease was grey and there seemed to be enough of it.

seat post? seat? chain ring bolts?

Snap - my go to list as well. All of the above would line up with the diagnosis too.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 29/Dec/16 9:06pm

Bigger cogs would indicate a chainring bolt
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby mudguard on Thu 29/Dec/16 9:19pm

Yeah I should've added I've pulled the pedals off, checked the axle on both, checked the chainring bolts, saddle rails. I'm taking it into the shop on Tuesday so they can check the BB as per Dougal's suggestion.
Maybe it's the cranks and I'll have to get new ones...
mudguard

Postby philstar on Thu 29/Dec/16 9:53pm

shmoodiver wrote:Bigger cogs would indicate a chainring bolt

for a given force on the peddle the is the same force on the chain ring bolts (for the same acceleration at the wheel) I would expect the cassette position to make more difference then the chainings (3:1 vs 1.3:1 respectively) unless it is lateral force on the chaining? (I am assuming 2 chain rings on the same bolts)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 29/Dec/16 10:10pm

Big rings have different bolts to little rings.... creak in big ring....
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Fri 30/Dec/16 2:40pm

shmoodiver wrote:Big rings have different bolts to little rings.... creak in big ring....

on my bikes the big 2 are on the same bolts, the little on is on different, I was assuming 3x setup and problem only on the biggest ring? are 2x setups on different bolts?
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 30/Dec/16 2:59pm

philstar wrote:are 2x setups on different bolts?

Yes.
AgrAde
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Fri 30/Dec/16 3:44pm

I'm pretty sure when mudguard says "bigger cogs" he's talking about the cogs on the cassette.

I've been wrong before though.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"

Postby mudguard on Fri 30/Dec/16 4:07pm

Yeah 1x10. I'm pretty certain it's the BB. Rear hub bearings sound and feel a little rough too. Which is odd as they were replaced when I had the rear wheel respoked not long ago.
In fact if I have the bike upside down and pedal very slowly I can hear a strange rumble from the rear hub.
mudguard

Postby Dougal on Fri 30/Dec/16 4:17pm

mudguard wrote:Yeah 1x10. I'm pretty certain it's the BB. Rear hub bearings sound and feel a little rough too. Which is odd as they were replaced when I had the rear wheel respoked not long ago.
In fact if I have the bike upside down and pedal very slowly I can hear a strange rumble from the rear hub.

You've got spare wheels right?
Dougal
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby mudguard on Fri 30/Dec/16 5:10pm

Dougal wrote:
mudguard wrote:Yeah 1x10. I'm pretty certain it's the BB. Rear hub bearings sound and feel a little rough too. Which is odd as they were replaced when I had the rear wheel respoked not long ago.

You've got spare wheels right?

Ha, not anymore. In the post today!
mudguard

Postby adikt on Sun 1/Jan/17 9:02am

OK, so I'm thinking I'll probably get a secondhand crankset or something to fix my SS commuter, not holding out much hope the shop i got it from will be able to help me out.

(background here things-hate-t29624-27210.html#p2650240 ).

I've never had to replace cranks/crankset/whatever before, and not sure what info exactly I need to make sure whatever i pick up off trademe is gonna work.

Bike is a 2015 SE Lager, so not something I really want to be spending $$$ to get fixed, but still good fun to bash around on.

Currently what I know is:
Chainring is riveted to crankarm
130 PCD
(From SE website) Crankset: SE Alloy, Euro Cartridge Sealed Bearing w/ Alloy Cups, 46T

Anyone able to advise what might work?
adikt
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 1/Jan/17 9:32am

If the ring is really rivited to the crank, the BCD is a bit irrelevant (you'll need a new ring).
Get whatever Shimano crankset suits your budget and give 'er.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby adikt on Sun 1/Jan/17 10:38am

Had a closer look, seems like the ring might not be riveted, which is good.
Is it possible to buy just the crankarms? I'm looking around usual places (wiggle/T7/CRC) and only see full sets
adikt
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby el_booto on Sun 1/Jan/17 10:52am

something like this not spin yer wheels?

if you want second hand, flick my colleagues an email at Around Again Cycles (i'm off work until the end of january) they'll have something in an old 130mm BCD shimano road crankset that should bolt right up
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts