Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby wuffy on Tue 13/Dec/16 7:11pm

Simplicity and ease of maintenance as well as cost. Cheapee to replace or fix ss setup even of its my current derailleur as the tensioner. Plus it brings amount of breakable parts down. Cheers fellas might pop into the local.
wuffy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Wed 14/Dec/16 6:21am

What are some options of weather proofing a dropper? Rode Karapoti on Saturday and was seized by top of the gorge. Managed to get it down for the rock garden but only by jumping on it.

Veloped - got photos of your tube boot?

The loop is running sweet but not so much fitness, but working on that!
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 14/Dec/16 4:56pm

had thought of a strip of tire tube, ziptied to seat rails, down back of post to frame... could stop a fair bit of splecked stuff... havent bothered to do it myself tho...
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby OliverBendix on Wed 14/Dec/16 4:58pm

Wuffy, I struggled to get a freehub for my cheap Shimano hub from the distributor through the LBS. The distributor kept running the LBS around and couldn't supply one quickly, so I bought a pair of new identical hubs very cheaply on Ebay from the states and pulled them apart - so now I also have spare cones, axles, etc. Worth a look.
OliverBendix
User avatar
"Punter"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby el_booto on Wed 14/Dec/16 6:01pm

swtchbckr wrote:had thought of a strip of tire tube, ziptied to seat rails, down back of post to frame... could stop a fair bit of splecked stuff... havent bothered to do it myself tho...


i've toyed with the idea of putting a section of tube around the post and ziptied top and bottom for sealing, would work well if done right i reckon
i'm going to try it when i am clear to get back on the bikes

DWKG, what flavor is your dropper? sounds like the seal wasn't doing it's job properly... or you've managed to bend the shaft somehow (i have seen it happen to a couple of posts, in various circumstances)
el_booto
User avatar
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 14/Dec/16 6:39pm

dwgknz wrote:What are some options of weather proofing a dropper? Rode Karapoti on Saturday and was seized by top of the gorge. Managed to get it down for the rock garden but only by jumping on it.

Veloped - got photos of your tube boot?

The loop is running sweet but not so much fitness, but working on that!


Just zip ties at the top, open at the bottom.
IMG_20161214_183728.jpg
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby dwgknz on Wed 14/Dec/16 7:19pm

el_booto wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:had thought of a strip of tire tube, ziptied to seat rails, down back of post to frame... could stop a fair bit of splecked stuff... havent bothered to do it myself tho...


i've toyed with the idea of putting a section of tube around the post and ziptied top and bottom for sealing, would work well if done right i reckon
i'm going to try it when i am clear to get back on the bikes

DWKG, what flavor is your dropper? sounds like the seal wasn't doing it's job properly... or you've managed to bend the shaft somehow (i have seen it happen to a couple of posts, in various circumstances)


It's a Giant, working fine again today. I stuck a bit of light grease around the seal. I think it's a seal issue, in rain it seizes up.

Any easy way to check if it's bent?
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 14/Dec/16 8:18pm

Mine's a giant too - first thing was unscrewing the seal collar and packing a load of suspension grease under there, then the inner tube.

It's never been used without, but I'll remove it soonish for a peak at how it's keeping under there.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 14/Dec/16 10:57pm

Yeah I'm not so sure about the whole 'enclosed in tube' design thing... I can remember when forks had boots on the stanchions and I always found they wore out quicker than not having them...
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 15/Dec/16 8:12am

swtchbckr wrote:Yeah I'm not so sure about the whole 'enclosed in tube' design thing... I can remember when forks had boots on the stanchions and I always found they wore out quicker than not having them...

Yeah, I know what you mean.
But the reviews I read of the Giant post before pulling the trigger had lots of mentions of crap getting past the seal, and needing regular cleaning out.

I'm still going to be removing the boot regularly and inspecting / cleaning, just hoping less crap = longer life.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby AgrAde on Thu 15/Dec/16 8:43am

Is it me or do you have the top spread open like a filth funnel into the tube?
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby amb236 on Thu 15/Dec/16 8:48am

Have put new pads and rotors on my bike (xt brakes) and I need to adjust/reset the Pistons as they currently grab when not touching the brake lever. Proper way to do this?
amb236
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 15/Dec/16 9:19am

AgrAde wrote:Is it me or do you have the top spread open like a filth funnel into the tube?

Yeah, I kinda do.
It's up against the base of the seat clamp pretty tight, but I've been thinking about how to seal it better.


==============
Filth Funnel
New band name, calling it.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby AgrAde on Thu 15/Dec/16 10:53am

:D

Can you fit a couple of cable ties around the post just under the seat clamp or does it drop right to the clamp?
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 15/Dec/16 10:58am

It would drop right to the clamp, if the bunching tube didn't restrict it first.

That is the simplest way I've considered a better seal.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

100 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 98 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit

cron