Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Dougal on Sun 8/Feb/15 10:54pm

thelivo wrote:
slidecontrol wrote:IIRC 9spd and older will but not 10spd and newer

OK thanks - thinking about it he could just put an XT drivetrain on with 2x using his road compact crankset?
How about brakes? Needs to be road calipers - will mtb levers pull the right amount of cable?

Old canti-lever brake levers would have cable pull *more* suitable for road calipers.
Dougal
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby el_booto on Mon 9/Feb/15 8:22am

thelivo wrote:Hey folks - do shimano mtb shifters work with the road derailleurs?
Someone I know has a few health issues so wants to run a flatbar for the masters class he races in. He is currently on some aging tiagra but wants to upgrade a little. Is there a tried and tested way to get flatbar controls for something like 105?

Thanks

As long as it's not dyna-sys it will work with a road groupset, but you can buy proper roadie flatbar shifters that have the trim settings for the front.

And as Dougal says, canti brake levers are cross compatible with road calipers, I've set them up for customers in the past in similar situations
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 9/Feb/15 9:04am

Shimano does specific flat bar 10spd shifters and specific road caliper brake levers Bro.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby phunk on Mon 9/Feb/15 10:17am

My SLX front disc brake refuses to pump the pistons out, have spent hours bleeding and rebleeding to no avail, pulled the caliper apart to see if it was stuck, anything else I should try?

It seems the lever might be faulty and not adding fluid?
phunk
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby ryda on Mon 9/Feb/15 10:20am

phunk wrote:My SLX front disc brake refuses to pump the pistons out, have spent hours bleeding and rebleeding to no avail, pulled the caliper apart to see if it was stuck, anything else I should try?
XT upgrade..... :lol:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby phunk on Mon 9/Feb/15 10:39am

ryda wrote:
phunk wrote:My SLX front disc brake refuses to pump the pistons out, have spent hours bleeding and rebleeding to no avail, pulled the caliper apart to see if it was stuck, anything else I should try?
XT upgrade..... :lol:

A Zee will likely be in my next internet order..
phunk

Postby Slim on Mon 9/Feb/15 12:31pm

Does it develop any pressure at all? if not it'll be the piston seal in the master cylinder.
Slim
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby thelivo on Mon 9/Feb/15 1:05pm

shmoodiver wrote:Shimano does specific flat bar 10spd shifters and specific road caliper brake levers Bro.

Well that makes life easier. Thanks all.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."

Postby phunk on Mon 9/Feb/15 3:00pm

Slim wrote:

Does it develop any pressure at all? if not it'll be the piston seal in the master cylinder.

It does create pressure with the bleed block in place, but with semi worn pads in the lever just goes to the bars each time.
phunk

Postby wachtourak on Mon 9/Feb/15 6:50pm

thelivo wrote:Hey folks - do shimano mtb shifters work with the road derailleurs?
Someone I know has a few health issues so wants to run a flatbar for the masters class he races in. He is currently on some aging tiagra but wants to upgrade a little. Is there a tried and tested way to get flatbar controls for something like 105?

Thanks

If it is 10sp 105 you can get flat bar road shifters that work with that cable pull. Pretty sure they Shimano importer doesn't bring the 10sp ones in anymore thought so you'd have to look online. The 10sp Ultegra level ones were called R770, I think the 105 level ones were called R550 from memory.

Edit: can't find the 10sp 105/ultegra ones online but only looked on chain reaction. they do however have 10s tiagra shifters, which you could pair with a 10sp 105 drivetrain? There is 11sp flatbar road stuff to work with the new 11sp 105 etc, which appears to be in stock in NZ, however unlikely his old wheelset will be compatible with 11sp unless he has mavics, as even old as shit mavics are compatible
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 9/Feb/15 9:12pm

phunk wrote:
Slim wrote:

It does create pressure with the bleed block in place, but with semi worn pads in the lever just goes to the bars each time.

pump it up oi! keep the bleed cup in place and pump the fuck out of the lever till you get some pressure up.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 9/Feb/15 9:55pm

or just buy some zee's, fantastic brake
shmoodiver

Postby Dougal on Mon 9/Feb/15 10:04pm

The reservoir isn't holding enough oil. Try starting the bleed with the pistons out a bit so more oil is in the system.
Dougal
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 9/Feb/15 10:57pm

Lever piston inlet port might be a little blocked. Try stripping the top part of the lever down (reservoir cap, bladder etc and blowing air back from the hose connection.
shmoodiver

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 11/Feb/15 9:26am

Random question time! :withstupid:

Do any of you fine Bicycle Mechanic like Gentlemen know if it is possible to fit a Marzocchi 888 spring into a Shiver? :eh:
I know it wont be a straight swap, just wondering if anyone has looked at the possibility of such a swapsies.
I am having difficulty sourcing a heavy spring for Teh Shiver of Doom, not surprising considering its been 10 years since they made any, but 888 ones seem to be readily available.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 19 years 9 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts