Bike Locks/security Thread...

Postby bikedog on Sun 24/Apr/16 7:25pm

Not many bike stands about anymore, maybe just me, but remember seeing more 20 years ago than I do today, and today the councils are so called promoting the use of bicycles?
Anyway, is there an off the shelf lock-chain/wire arrangement that is superior to the rest?
Or, can you recommend a wire/chain length, and why?

Your advice and opinions welcome.
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Re: Bike Locks/security Thread...

Postby Dougal on Sun 24/Apr/16 7:34pm

If someone wants your bike then they're going to get it. The best result IMO is to inconvenience stealing enough that it's not a soft target and park your bike in high traffic areas.

I've used cable locks, key, combination and padlock types. Never had anything stolen. But the worst place I ever lived was Riccarton.

Even with hardened chain you can't hold a bike these days. The advent of cordless grinders means anything is literally for the taking.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 24/Apr/16 7:50pm

It's impossible to make a bike totally secure. All you can do is put it in a busy area or put it inside your workplace/house and stick any sort of big lock on it - a big chain, big D-lock, laying a big cable on it* or a combination of those methods will help.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby bikedog on Sun 24/Apr/16 8:37pm

Dougal wrote:If someone wants your bike then they're going to get it. The best result IMO is to inconvenience stealing enough that it's not a soft target and park your bike in high traffic areas.

I've used cable locks, key, combination and padlock types. Never had anything stolen. But the worst place I ever lived was Riccarton.

Even with hardened chain you can't hold a bike these days. The advent of cordless grinders means anything is literally for the taking.

Jeepers, didn't think it was that bad!
I accept your advice.
But hey, we probably need to show the insurance company we tried to protect it from theft eh? Leaving a $2000 or whatever bike outside Countdown, unlocked for 30 minutes, would be , well, foolish right. So my question remains.
bikedog

Postby bikedog on Sun 24/Apr/16 8:39pm

happybaboon wrote:It's impossible to make a bike totally secure. All you can do is put it in a busy area or put it inside your workplace/house and stick any sort of big lock on it - a big chain, big D-lock, laying a big cable on it* or a combination of those methods will help.

You missed Big Dog :)
bikedog

Postby Dougal on Sun 24/Apr/16 9:21pm

bikedog wrote:
Jeepers, didn't think it was that bad!
I accept your advice.
But hey, we probably need to show the insurance company we tried to protect it from theft eh? Leaving a $2000 or whatever bike outside Countdown, unlocked for 30 minutes, would be , well, foolish right. So my question remains.

get a cheap bike for riding to the shops. I had a uni bike that I didn't even have to lock. Noone would ever steal it.
Dougal

Postby AgrAde on Sun 24/Apr/16 11:26pm

Your bike lock doesn't have to be amazing, it just has to be slightly inconvenient. D locks and hard steel chain locks are more inconvenient than the standard 25 dollar cable lock. Most bike thieves wander around with bolt cutters that fit in a backpack. That's enough to go through the coil locks, cheap chains and cheap padlocks in three seconds. They'll be wrestling for a little while to get through anything more. They like the easy pickings.

If you lose a bike with a semi-acceptable D lock, then you were going to lose it regardless of whatever fort knox shit you could have thought up. It's pretty unlikely though, and that's what insurance is for.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Conners on Mon 25/Apr/16 8:43am

bikedog wrote:Not many bike stands about anymore, maybe just me, but remember seeing more 20 years ago than I do today, and today the councils are so called promoting the use of bicycles?

This is an interesting point. I think the reduced numbers of bike stands you see on the street these days is largely due to a lot of companies investing in secure bike storage facilities for their employees.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby wachtourak on Mon 25/Apr/16 9:14am

Do you have a road bike or a mountain bike? I hear there are road bike locks and mountain bike locks that are pretty different.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 25/Apr/16 9:18am

Well obviously they'll have different levels of protection.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby mudguard on Mon 25/Apr/16 3:30pm

I have a generic cable lock that I use on the car bike rack. I figure it's enough to stop the opportunist, but I rarely leave my bike on the rack out of sight for long.
As for locking it up at the supermarket, well I have a hardtail/shitter/commuter that I use with a small lock. It's not the end of the world if it gets stolen. But my trail bike, no way do I leave it anywhere.
As the others have mentioned, if someone wants it, then they'll get it.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 25/Apr/16 3:49pm

I use cable locks and padlocks to lock bikes on a car rack to the car towbar. I've heard a few stories of whole racks being stolen with bikes attached.
Dougal

Postby bikedog on Mon 25/Apr/16 6:07pm

mudguard wrote:I have a generic cable lock that I use on the car bike rack. I figure it's enough to stop the opportunist, but I rarely leave my bike on the rack out of sight for long.
As for locking it up at the supermarket, well I have a hardtail/shitter/commuter that I use with a small lock. It's not the end of the world if it gets stolen. But my trail bike, no way do I leave it anywhere.
As the others have mentioned, if someone wants it, then they'll get it.

Point noted & taken.
Thanks guy's.
bikedog

Postby AmberJones on Mon 25/Apr/16 6:34pm

Good luck with that mate. There ain't much out there that'd be able to stop 'em from getting yours once they set their eyes upon it.
Still, try out some cable lock, chains and all the other stuff people have mentioned here. All the best with this! :blush:
AmberJones
Member for: 1 year 6 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 25/Apr/16 6:58pm

AmberJones wrote:Good luck with that mate. There ain't much out there that'd be able to stop 'em from getting yours once they set their eyes upon it.
Still, try out some cable lock, chains and all the other stuff people have mentioned here. All the best with this! :blush:

Depends how much you value your bike really
http://www.spybike.com/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-gps-tra ... 1107616075
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts