Bike Hutt 2010 Cyclocross Racing Series

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Wed 19/May/10 2:53pm

YankeeHotelFoxtrot in conjunction with Go Home Yanqui Promotions and The Bike Hutt present:
The Bike Hutt CX Series 2010

All of you who like the mud, sweat and pain of cyclocross--or simply want to give it a go--mark this down on your race calendars:

Sunday 4 July 2010 Trentham Memorial Park Upper Hutt 10am
Sunday 18 July 2010 California Park Upper Hutt 10am
Sunday 1 August 2010 California Park Upper Hutt 10am
Sunday 15 August 2010Trentham Memorial Park Upper Hutt 10am

This year we've managed to get two venues sorted allowing a better mix of terrain.
California Park remains and will consist of the same course as last year--classic cross racing with great views for spectators and constant speed changes required by the riders. Riders will bust a gut on the first lap and have to hold on for another 10 plus laps before the clock is finished.
New this year is Trentham Memorial Park which will definitely have higher speeds better suited to cx bikes with a long flat gravel section and smooth grassy runways. The more open lay out of the park will allow spectators to see the entire race from virtually any spot.

There will be two races at each event depending on the number of entries:
1 hour plus one lap for the Fast Race. The fast race will have riders on cx bikes seeded first. MTBer who get lapped will be pulled!
30 minutes plus one lap for the Fun Race. Open to all riders.

Entry fee is $10 NZ/ $50 Canadian / $.50 USD / 20 Pounds Sterling. Euros and Rubles will not be accepted.

There is a no bar end rule for all races and a maximum tyre width of 45mm for the Fast Race

Email questions and entries to info@thebikehutt.co.nz
and further info here:

http://www.thebikehutt.blogspot.com
CX 2010 copy.jpg
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Bike Hutt 2010 Cyclocross Racing Series

Postby paullcms on Fri 4/Jun/10 4:01pm

why no bars ends and a max tyre width? did I miss something
paullcms
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby cruiser on Sat 5/Jun/10 8:08pm

Bar ends are ghey and will bring the event into disrepute

Max tyre width is to encourage you to buy some nice n fast new tyres from the good people of BikeHutt
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby sifter on Sat 5/Jun/10 8:11pm

cruiser wrote:Bar ends are ghey and will bring the event into disrepute

Max tyre width is to encourage you to buy some nice n fast new tyres from the good people of BikeHutt

:(
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Sat 5/Jun/10 8:21pm

Definitely difficult to find cx tyres in Wellington. Capital had something expensive, but that was it for all the shops I visited
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby cruiser on Sat 5/Jun/10 8:30pm

sifter wrote:
cruiser wrote:Bar ends are ghey and will bring the event into disrepute

:(

:baaa:

is this a better answer?

It's because they give moar power and last thing a CX'er wants is a MTB'er claiming glory??
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby Nick_K on Sat 5/Jun/10 9:52pm

paullcms wrote:why no bars ends and a max tyre width? did I miss something

As well as being a bit gay bar ends are potentially dangerous in a cross race.

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Definitely difficult to find cx tyres in Wellington. Capital had something expensive, but that was it for all the shops I visited

Mike at BikeHutt normally has a range of cross tires and parts and is definitely worth the trip to the Hutt.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Sat 5/Jun/10 9:56pm

Thanks Nick. Found my locusts were pretty useless in the clay mud of Danzig today. Keen to try something else
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby Nick_K on Sat 5/Jun/10 10:00pm

Would have been sweet if you had discs :lol:
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Sat 5/Jun/10 10:06pm

:)
Don't tend to use my brakes riding up hills. Is that your secret eh?
And yes, my cantis were squeeling and shuddering and unreliable and rim destroying etc

Anyway, thread hijack over, am looking forward to the series and trying something new.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby Simpleone on Sun 6/Jun/10 11:15am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Thanks Nick. Found my locusts were pretty useless in the clay mud of Danzig today. Keen to try something else

Conti CX Race are good in the gloop.
Simpleone
"“Size does matter!”"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby 95bonty on Sun 6/Jun/10 11:26am

Maxxis Mimo cx. Clean well and are infinitely better than the Locusts, run skinny tho (32s fit in a track frame), but when it's gloopy they rock.
95bonty
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT on Tue 15/Jun/10 12:52pm

The course is now laid out at Trentham Park courtesy of the local harriers who were out on Saturday. Since their sport is essentially the same as cx, they had a nearly perfect route of 4km around the park, which I gladly tested after their run was over. Bike handling skills and power will be needed in equal measure for a good race. There is a good mix of gravel, tarseal, mud, and grass of varying firmness. If the rain persists...lots o'fun! There are two short and sharp run ups to keep heart rates pegged.
As I said before, this venue will have higher speeds and is better suited to big gears and cx bikes. Included are two back to back stream crossings that will not be ridden through unless there is a sudden and dramatic climate change.
Those of you who haven't got a cx bike should go with narrow tires. Really. The grass is truly a power sapper right now.
Of course, those who want to upgrade to a cx bike, I've got a very nice Trek XO-1 in stock which is a very well designed race rig (the best Trek CX bike to date!). Also, Bergamont brings an incredibly well equipped cx bike that, for the money, is the best I've seen. I've got a 51cm and a 56cm here in the shop. You can't beat the price on the Bergamont.
I had intended to do some practice sessions with anyone interested on Friday nights, but have not been able to find a suitable spot with lights.
So, Saturday afternoons at 4pm I'll drag the barriers over to Trentham Park and do some practice runs.Those who are keen to improve the skills component of cyclocross racing should come. It will make a big difference on race day. Obviously, you'll also get a chance to ride the actual race course. Give me a shout if you're interested.
YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Nick_K on Tue 15/Jun/10 6:20pm

The Bergamonts look fab. Completely agree should be right at the top of anyones list for a race ready cross bike.
Bergamont.JPG
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby DaveAldred on Tue 15/Jun/10 8:06pm

What do you know about CX Nick? You couldn't race CX to save yourself.

You couldn't even get up the run-ups if there was a pile of 40+ & Busty jizz mags up there.
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Cycling | Cyclocross | Featured Events - Latest Posts