A Bike For The Kid

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 14/Oct/09 12:10pm

So the eldest daughter needs a new bike for Intermediate School next year. She's 11, fairly tall for her age, and growing fast. I know she's gonna grow out of it in 2-3 years by which time her younger sister will have grown into it. I'm thinking of something not too flash (Bauer Bravo or the like) as she'll be getting something decent next time but am stuck on what size to get her. Small 26" comes to mind and is a bit big for her now, but has anyone had experience/is there some type of formula to use, in picking a size for a growing kid ? I know it's an imprecise science and unless the little sh.......wee darling :love: is standing there it is bloody difficult. Just wondering what everyone else did with their kids for bikes at this age ?
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: A Bike For The Kid

Postby philstar on Wed 14/Oct/09 12:18pm

BMX
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby handy-andy on Wed 14/Oct/09 12:27pm

philstar wrote:BMX

+1

I think buying a bike that's a bit big now, on the basis that they will grow into it, is the worst thing you could do. The bike will be difficult for them to control, and their riding enjoyment will suffer.

If you've got more than one kid you'll automatically get twice the usage out of whatever you buy, so get one that fits!

my 2c.
handy-andy
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 14/Oct/09 12:45pm

my daughter has been on an xtra small avanti aggressor for a few years now and is out growing it rather quickly now, 26 inch with gears IMHO, get an extra small with short stem and 0 offset seatpost and adjust as they grow. will not be too much to throw around... quite tall, as in 5'6" or is that just my freak of a child?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby chchbob on Wed 14/Oct/09 12:47pm

DogsBollocks wrote:So the eldest daughter needs a new bike for Intermediate School next year. She's 11, fairly tall for her age, and growing fast. I know she's gonna grow out of it in 2-3 years by which time her younger sister will have grown into it. I'm thinking of something not too flash (Bauer Bravo or the like) as she'll be getting something decent next time but am stuck on what size to get her. Small 26" comes to mind and is a bit big for her now, but has anyone had experience/is there some type of formula to use, in picking a size for a growing kid ? I know it's an imprecise science and unless the little sh.......wee darling :love: is standing there it is bloody difficult. Just wondering what everyone else did with their kids for bikes at this age ?

Bloody hard for Sante to make these calls aye ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
chchbob
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby nagem on Wed 14/Oct/09 12:48pm

I have an XS GT Avalanche 1.0 that may be for sale. I'm teensy but my 5ft 6 kid doesn't look out of place on it.

I'm not sure I want to sell it though
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 14/Oct/09 12:54pm

chchbob wrote:
DogsBollocks wrote:So the eldest daughter needs a new bike for Intermediate School next year. She's 11, fairly tall for her age, and growing fast. I know she's gonna grow out of it in 2-3 years by which time her younger sister will have grown into it. I'm thinking of something not too flash (Bauer Bravo or the like) as she'll be getting something decent next time but am stuck on what size to get her. Small 26" comes to mind and is a bit big for her now, but has anyone had experience/is there some type of formula to use, in picking a size for a growing kid ? I know it's an imprecise science and unless the little sh.......wee darling :love: is standing there it is bloody difficult. Just wondering what everyone else did with their kids for bikes at this age ?

Bloody hard for Sante to make these calls aye ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

She can get used to it doing laps of Fearons Bush @ Xmas while I reydrate :p :p :p
DogsBollocks

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 14/Oct/09 12:56pm

shmoodiver wrote:my daughter has been on an xtra small avanti aggressor for a few years now and is out growing it rather quickly now, 26 inch with gears IMHO, get an extra small with short stem and 0 offset seatpost and adjust as they grow. will not be too much to throw around... quite tall, as in 5'6" or is that just my freak of a child?

Good advise :thumbsup:

...and yup, freak :D
DogsBollocks

Cycling - Latest Posts