Postby ThingOne on Mon 9/Jun/08 3:04pm

Lycra rocks.. Why do "cool" people care so much about what others think!..
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby ThingOne on Mon 9/Jun/08 3:04pm

ThingOne wrote: Lycra rocks.. Why do "cool" people care so much about what others think!..

God I have been thinking about my posts today, I must be in a bad mood.. nearly all are angry..
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Mon 9/Jun/08 3:11pm

ThingOne wrote:
ThingOne wrote: Lycra rocks.. Why do "cool" people care so much about what others think!..

God I have been thinking about my posts today, I must be in a bad mood.. nearly all are angry..

Maybe you're just hungry??? ;) :p
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby orangecruz on Mon 9/Jun/08 3:41pm

or your seat is sloping down .....
orangecruz
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Nordy on Mon 9/Jun/08 3:42pm

Welcome to Vorb Quasievil, I get the feeling I have seen you somewhere else (KB maybe)

I put in another vote for Ground Effect. they are awesome and have awesome customer service.
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby neels on Mon 9/Jun/08 3:45pm

So there are others that lurk in both worlds........

I eventually gave in and bought lycra, got sick of soggy shorts hanging on my legs, and catching the legs on the saddle when I was up on the pedals

But I don't do the posing in coffee shops in them though, :crazy:
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Quasievil on Mon 9/Jun/08 5:37pm

Nordy wrote: Welcome to Vorb Quasievil, I get the feeling I have seen you somewhere else (KB maybe)

BWAAAAAhHHH yup it is I, Quasi in the House, Im getting of the motorbike a bit and trying out this real sport called MTB for a bit and loving it !!!
Quasievil
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Nordy on Mon 9/Jun/08 5:41pm

Quasievil wrote:
Nordy wrote: Welcome to Vorb Quasievil, I get the feeling I have seen you somewhere else (KB maybe)

BWAAAAAhHHH yup it is I, Quasi in the House, Im getting of the motorbike a bit and trying out this real sport called MTB for a bit and loving it !!!

Good to hear, some good riding not far from you in Vegas :D its awesome down there.
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 9/Jun/08 5:49pm

I'm a fan of Lycra. But there are times when it's a big no no.
When the seat is lower than the handlebars when the seat is at it's highest (ie on a DH/trail HT).
When the travel goes over 4"
On SS's, other than racing, then a special dispensation is allowed
When you are obese
When you wear size small, and it's still baggy on you
SlackBoy
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Nick_K on Mon 9/Jun/08 6:22pm

As always chopper has the answer.

First assess your build before you ride. Fat dudes and cellulite-plagued chicks just don't help any of us in lycra. Please don't cop some sort of "hes so insensitive" attitude over that statement. I'm simply telling it the way it is, fair or not. When you get on your bike you are an ambassador for all of us. Have some decency.

That said I believe in practicality. Lycra is superior to baggies in pedaling situations and hot weather. Baggies outperform spandex when hide is likely, its cold outside or being in public beyond the length of your ride likely. I prefer to break lycra and baggies down to subgroups.

Lycra 1
Obnoxious europhile viual diarrhea pastdwith a million logos and horrendous clashing colour schemes. This look is what makes people want to run you over in their ford trucks.

Lycra 2
Subtle, subdued tones and at times even punk rock

Baggy 1
You could pedal your bike all day in these without getting hung up on the saddl, sitting on a nut or dying of heat exhastion or chafing

Baggy 2
Over designed, hyper accesorized super shorts with 92 zippers, hip pads, man capri cuts and bomber proof kevlar butt cheeks.

Now for the rules. Unless you are getting paid to ride and your living depends on this hidous look, please burn all lycra style 1.

Lycra style 2 is allowed on hardtail singlespeeds, cross country bikes and trail macines up to 140mm of travel.

Baggy 1 is acceptable for hardtails, singlespeeds, suspended xc rigs and trail bikes with up to 140mm of travel. This look shows a little modesty and can even give you a stylish apperance. Lycra style 2 tops can be mixxed with baggy style 1 shorts because they have pockets and can cut the sleeves off when its hot. Going here says I know how to ride, appreciate not having my unit out for all to see and I like the classic functionality of the classic cycling jersey.

Baggy style 2 is scoffed out when worn while riding bikes with less than 140mm of travel because its painfully obvious that you have a fat arse, are trying to hard to be cool or are clueless about what it will be like to ride the next 3 hours with a snowsuit clawing at your quads. If you can toss your bike off a 20ft drop you can wear whatever baggy style you like.

Skinsuits are prohibited out of competition and on all bikes with more than 110mm of travel. Wearing baggy style 1 or 2 jerseys with any sort of lycra is never acceptable. This looks aweful and is like wearing sweatpants to the office and says Ive pretty much given up on myself.

:)
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Phat-Mikey on Tue 10/Jun/08 1:51pm

danose wrote:
Phat-Mikey wrote: However as far a shorts are concerned, Lycra and Mountainbiking are a major no no!

utter utter utter rubbish

if you're some fashion victim who never grew up and has to dress like the cool kids yes baggies are required (preferably troy lees)

however for pure xc lycra is great - no chaffing, no hanging up on the saddle, no sweatyness :thumbsup:

go have a look at the xc world cup photos on cycling news - see any pros riding in baggy shorts and flappy baggy tops? :satan:

now if only I'd got some shots of steipinyards mtbing in full cofidis roadie strip :love:

As I said, This is just my opinion and others would have different ideas, and as far as I am concerned they are a no no ( I kind of knew I would get a bite from this comment) Fashion victim I am not...very very far from it and I grew up in the 70's so pretty grown up....I think...although my wife tells me I need to grow up sometimes. :D
I prefer not to show the chunks to the world so baggies are good and I find them more comfortable than my lycras. Again this is just my opinion if you don't agree thats cool tell the guys your thoughts so he can have the most information available.
Cheers P-M
Phat-Mikey
Member for: 13 years 1 month

sifter
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby pulsar on Tue 10/Jun/08 2:12pm

As a flat pedal rider (FTW) I have tried lots of different kindsa shoes, and have finally given in and spent my hard earned squids on sme 5 10's (check out the burkes website) not only cos they are super sticky but also cos they are mega durable if you buy the leather ones you can wipe clean. I'm just wrecking too many pairs of sneakers. But vans soles are pretty good too.
I wear lyra shorts underneath normal shorts, seems to work for me but then again I'm a fat ass and can't find shorts baggy enough to fit my rump. :paranoid: Spectrum dirtwear seem to do a pretty good short available in different lengths which i would buy (i think you can get to them thru the puresports website.)
Tops- all down to personal preferance i guess but breathable non cotton is always better.
And you also must order a vERY SERIOUS RACINGtm cap right away oterwise you will never attain ultimate coolness, never i tell you!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
pulsar
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts