Bike Advice

Postby dub3media on Mon 19/Sep/11 8:28pm

Hi
I am living in west Auckland and am wanting to buy a bike to cycle into the city everyday.
I am looking at buying a bike but am a bit lost in what to look for.

I am looking at spending about $600 - $800 what would be a good buy and does anyone cycle the route daily?
dub3media
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Re: Bike Advice

Postby brewstmerr on Fri 23/Sep/11 3:43pm

Hey dub3media, great that you are looking at cycle commuting! :)

Probably popping into your local bike shop(s) would be a good idea - they can give you advice and get you set up with the right bike for you and most provide good ongoing support (moral and mechanical! :)).

I see one of my favourite shops (RR Sport) have a branch in Auckland (http://www.rrsport.co.nz) - and their website also lists some good bikes on sale in the price range you are looking for (I'm not an employee of RR Sport btw :) )

Hope this helps - and good luck! :)
brewstmerr
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby wpp1 on Fri 23/Sep/11 4:40pm

hi I cycle from royal rd to the city everyday. have done for the last 3 1/2 years I can't recommend it enough. the worst day cycling is still better than the best day driving. there are a number of bike shops out west depending on where you are located. Advanti shop on lincoln rd has been good to me. for commuting I would go for a hybrid bike. I wouldn't go for front shocks as they only add weight and aren't needed for commuting. one of the advanti blades or giant cross city would be suitable.
Hope to see you on the cycleway sometime.
wpp1
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby dub3media on Sun 25/Sep/11 7:49am

Thanks for the good advice, how long does it take you to get into the city
dub3media

Postby laworder on Sun 25/Sep/11 8:49am

I was cycling this router from Henderson every day for a few months last year. Takes about an hour into Queen St from the middle of Henderson. It is a really nice ride as wpp1 says, sometimes I ride out that way just for pleasure

I was using an 18 speed Giant commuter bike, but have since got a new bike with an Internal gear hub - highly recommend getting one of these, as they need way less maintenance and you can change gears under load. I'll never go back to a derailleur bike now I've got this, cost me about a grand but I've saved a couple of hundred and a lot of hassles in not having to take it in to get the gears fixed in the interim. Mine's 8 speed but you can get 11 speed which might be better for a ride that length. There are also three speed models which are cheaper, but dont know how they''d be for what you need - try one out before buying I guess.

As wpp1 says, dont bother getting something with shocks, its a smooth enough ride that you wont need them, the path is really good. You might want to invest in some mudguards though in case of rain, which is pretty much inevitable. Wont set you back much and you'll arrive cleaner and drier
laworder
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby wpp1 on Sun 25/Sep/11 9:42am

hi my ride is 18km each way. takes between 40 and 45 minutes depending on the wind. mudguards are a good idea. keeps the bike alot cleaner so less wear and tear. be careful about about using a internal gear hub. they are good but if you get a puncture it is alot harder to fix on the side of the track. believe me you will get punctures. so make sure you have levers, pump and a spare tube with you. It is well worth investing in puncture proof tyres. I use them and only get about 2 punctures a year. i ride regardless of the weather, it is just about wearing the right clothing. I am also lucky in that I have shower facilities at work.
wpp1
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 25/Sep/11 1:56pm

I used to ride from the back of Hendo into Newmarket almost every day (a few times the weather was so bad I took the train).

:) It was a good ride – that’s better now they’ve finished the last part of the cycleway.
I used my road race bike at the time and then bought a hybrid (a Marin).
It had front shocks but I locked them and should’ve got a bike without them.

Deraileur gears are fine :) – (nothing against hub gears) and almost never need adjustment if set up correctly.
Mudguards, bright clothing and a helmet mirror make the ride cleaner and safer :)

Bike :ib: A flat bared road bike like a hybrid/city bike would be best or even an MTB with road tyres would be fine. Heck, even a drop bar road bike.
There are really good deals in Trademe. :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby steelmatt on Mon 26/Sep/11 7:24pm

Consider steel frame. At least do yourself a favour and ride a couple before deciding. I rode that cycle way quite a few times when I lived in Pt Chev on a steel road bike. The reason I suggest steel is its more forgiving and comfortable than aluminium, without the carbon price tag. The weight penalty is way less than most people think, if you go for a midrange bike, not a cheap one. Theres good bargins at the moment as the shops roll out 2011 stock making room for 2012 years - nows a really good time to buy as they should be very negotiable. Good luck with your search for the perfect bikie......
steelmatt
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby dub3media on Mon 26/Sep/11 8:13pm

Thanks for all your advice

I went into Avanti in henderson and found a good bike, no front shocks but the guy I was talking to insisted they were a good commuting bike, and the price tag was knocked down from 700 to 500 so that was pretty sweet
dub3media

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 26/Sep/11 8:55pm

dub3media wrote:Thanks for all your advice

I went into Avanti in henderson and found a good bike, no front shocks but the guy I was talking to insisted they were a good commuting bike, and the price tag was knocked down from 700 to 500 so that was pretty sweet

They're good guys there and they've got practical accesories too :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 27/Sep/11 12:41am

If you are fitting mudguards for commuting get some decent ones.

The crud flies off your wheel at a tangent. It is fine to get your shoes and socks soaked with muddy gritty yuk but you really do not want that stuff on your chain, so the front guard needs to drop well below axle height.

Crud from either wheel that can fly upwards will get blown onto you, so if the front guard doesn't go forward enough you get grit in your eyes.

These facts needs to be faced and the necessary psychological preparations made before you go shopping or else you may end up with a convenient or stylish guard that just doesnt do the job.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts