Bigfoot Mtb Trail In Hanmer

Postby val1958 on Sun 6/Apr/08 12:32am

Does anyone have directions to the 'Bigfoot' trail in Hanmer.
Going up at ANZAC weekend and don't want to be blundering around looking for it, like we have done in the past
val1958
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby grahamt on Sun 6/Apr/08 7:36am

Starts at waterfall track carpark - just past the carpark to the right of where the walking track starts. There is a small sign.

Three ways to get there:

1 - ride up McIntyre / Mullans Road to the carpark (second left off Jollies Pass Road past the DOC building)

2 - ride up Dog Stream track and cross footbridge at tghe base of Jollife Saddle (or the one before it) to the road - then left up the road.

3. go over Jollife Saddle track to Dog stream footbridge then as in 2 above.

You can get maps for $2 from the Krank Shop and Info Centre in Hanmer - proceeds go back to the track building fund
Last edited by grahamt on Thu 22/Jan/09 1:19pm, edited 2 times in total.
grahamt
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Tama on Sun 6/Apr/08 7:39am

Moved to the Canterbury forum :)

'tis a great trail :thumbsup:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby XCguy on Sun 6/Apr/08 1:39pm

grahamt wrote: Note that Tank, Swamp and Yankee Zephyr are now gone due to loggging.

Tank track was still there two weeks ago. I rode Flax then left onto Tank to the gravel road (tank) then returned the same way back to the skidder site. Sweet track. I hope it is still there. The bottom end entrance is pretty inconspicuous due to the recent activity in the skidder site but as long as you head off the skidder site you'll find it.

val1958, call in at Krank (on the main road) when you are there and buy a map for $2 and get the guys to draw on all the new trails and tell you their current status.

Big Foot is an awesome trail, both up and down. Enjoy :)
XCguy
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby XCguy on Sun 6/Apr/08 1:41pm

Graham, the 'unamed track' on your map on Conical Hill is called Eagle's Nest. The rock garden at the end is pretty cool :thumbsup:
XCguy
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Sun 6/Apr/08 8:39pm

grahamt wrote: Starts at waterfall track carpark - just past the carpark to the right of where the walking track starts. There is a small sign.

With respect Gt it might help to be a little more precise - because last time I was there it wasn't that clear (and there was no sign)
There are 2 walking tracks from that carpark - one is Fir Trail - off to right / east, the other is Waterfall Track - straight ahead / north. Only a few meters past where Waterfall Track leaves the carpark the start of BIGFOOT is there on the right - it used to be quite subtle, but maybe it's got more worn and is easier to spot.
Val1958 - if you get onto the track that zig-zags UP a spur with lots of switchbacks you are on the right path - enjoy.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Slim on Sun 6/Apr/08 8:40pm

there is a big sign there and a well worn track ;)
Slim
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby grahamt on Sun 6/Apr/08 8:49pm

Starts at waterfall track carpark - just past the carpark to the right of where the WATERFALL TRACK starts. There is a small sign.

Precision added - although thought it pretty obvious anyway. The sign was still there today when I rode it.
grahamt

Postby grahamt on Sun 6/Apr/08 8:51pm

XCguy wrote: Graham, the 'unamed track' on your map on Conical Hill is called Eagle's Nest. The rock garden at the end is pretty cool :thumbsup:

Yep know that - I did the map about 8-9 months ago when the track had just gone in.
grahamt

Postby Philthy on Sun 6/Apr/08 10:42pm

Ahhhh, Bigfoot.... :)
I rode that track 6 times last time i was in hamner. Kudos to the creators!
Philthy
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 8/Apr/08 1:19pm

yeah, between Waterfall Track, and the Fir Trail..

i loved that track. we were laughing and laughing by the time we got to the top (to the detriment of our riding) cos the switchies just kept coming and coming. mad! then that descent. how trails should be. small ups into the corners to scrub your speed, then wicked drops to accellerate again. nice.

shame to hear tank track gone. i grieved the loss of yankee zephyr last time i was up there too. but flax gully was fun, into majuba, etc etc.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby grahamt on Tue 8/Apr/08 4:08pm

Seems that tank track might be open again according to xc guys post above. It was closed late last year as it exits to the skidder site where they have been logging, and I had thought that was semi-permanent due to OSH concerns, etc, although the track itself doesn't go through production forest or logged area. Seems they may have reopened it so my initial advice may have been wrong. I tend to ride Bigfoot / Detox / Addiction / Redrocks which are at the other end of the forest so haven't ridden that end for a while.
grahamt

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 8/Apr/08 4:50pm

grahamt wrote: I tend to ride Bigfoot / Detox / Addiction / Redrocks which are at the other end of the forest so haven't ridden that end for a while.

Addiction????? where be that?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby grahamt on Tue 8/Apr/08 5:07pm

Bit hard to explain - lets say its unmarked, off the map, and a lot higher and more technical than the regular Hanmer Track network, and involves a bit of bike carrying to get there.
grahamt

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 9/Apr/08 10:03am

aaaahhh!! yes, i know the one... i havent ridden it but some mates have ridden it, possibly with you... tricky to find, lotsa gorse?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Canterbury | Cycling | Hanmer Springs | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | North Canterbury | Regions | Trail Riding - Latest Posts