Bigfoot

Postby val1958 on Wed 9/Apr/08 11:15pm

Thanks guys, now should be able to get straight into the action
val1958
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby grahamt on Wed 9/Apr/08 11:31pm

swtchbckr wrote: aaaahhh!! yes, i know the one... i havent ridden it but some mates have ridden it, possibly with you... tricky to find, lotsa gorse?

Yup
grahamt
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby radiusq on Mon 5/Jan/09 11:50am

I rode out at Hanmer for the first time yesterday. A big two thumbs up - Hanmer rocks! In particular, Bigfoot is an amazing piece of work. Whoever is responsible for building that trail is a master of their craft. I can't wait to ride it again :D
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Mon 5/Jan/09 11:52am

Yep, Bigfoot is a fun fun track!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby radiusq on Tue 6/Jan/09 12:50pm

I found this vid of the trail on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P__4dqmzd8o
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"

Re: Bigfoot Mtb Trail In Hanmer

Postby eyeball on Fri 16/Jan/09 9:52pm

Just rode this the other day awesome track easy uphill with a nice dh passed some old fullas on the dh who were kind enough to let me pass. Nice work the trailbuilders did in making this trail.
eyeball
"Whatcha wana do ya wana go hunt some moose"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby D2 on Sat 17/Jan/09 2:21pm

You had better keep riding Bigfoot because I believe it is to be logged this year. Need to petition Rayonier!!
D2
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby radiusq on Sat 17/Jan/09 3:22pm

Not sure if a petition is the best move. If private forestry companies get grief every time they need to log an area where they've allowed mtb trails, they may just stop allowing mtb trails in to begin with.

Would definitely be a damn shame to see that area logged though. Even if the trail was to survive post-logging, it would lose it's character.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 19/Jan/09 9:22am

Alas, thats just the nature of riding in hanmer. :( we have wicked tracks to love and enjoy for a few years, and especially the trails in the (nearly) 'old growth', the nice dark big wide open bits of, forest, and then they get hammered, logged, decimated. r.i.p. red rocks. and, eventually, the trail pixies are allowed back in there once the loggers are finished, and a new trail is constructed, which within a few years is in the trees again. the other cool thing is that once a new trail is built on freshly logged ground, you're guaranteed a good 30 to 50 years of that trail being there...

that'll be a damned shame to see the end of Bigfoot... keep us informed as to when they're gonna think about starting to log, cos i GOTTA get up there and ride it again before then...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby XC_Snail on Mon 19/Jan/09 4:37pm

I was up there last weekend, as everyone says it will be a big loss to the hanmer trails. Tried the new (or new to me) Threshold trail, thats got lots of potential although its still very loose to ride on and I need some more (a lot more) practice to take some of the corners.

Anyone know if more trails are in the pipeline for that end of jollies??
XC_Snail
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Tama on Thu 22/Jan/09 8:53am

swtchbckr wrote:that'll be a damned shame to see the end of Bigfoot... keep us informed as to when they're gonna think about starting to log, cos i GOTTA get up there and ride it again before then...

I bumped into Andy on the way to work and he told me about this :(

One of the issues of riding in plantation forests I guess.
radiusq wrote:Not sure if a petition is the best move. If private forestry companies get grief every time they need to log an area where they've allowed mtb trails, they may just stop allowing mtb trails in to begin with.

That's the crux of it pretty much. If Bigfoot's going to be around til 2010 that gives people plenty of time to ride it and to plan new trails in replanted sections of the forest which will give them a 20 year life span.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 22/Jan/09 12:28pm

I realise forums like this are out there to help people to get to where they want to go but in this case there are other options. Most of us who have done Hanmer know that those fantastic people at the Krank shop sell maps to these trails for $2 that goes towards helping build and maintain these trails. By giving people directions we are depriving the good folk who do this work the $'s to help them do it. By all means be helpful but, like I got told the 1st time I asked for directions in Hanmer "you pay's your $2"
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby neels on Thu 22/Jan/09 1:03pm

Yep. And they'll also tell you what good, what's not, what tracks aren't there any more. And draw in the new ones for you and give you a run down of what they're like :thumbsup:
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby grahamt on Thu 22/Jan/09 1:23pm

DogsBollocks wrote:I realise forums like this are out there to help people to get to where they want to go but in this case there are other options. Most of us who have done Hanmer know that those fantastic people at the Krank shop sell maps to these trails for $2 that goes towards helping build and maintain these trails. By giving people directions we are depriving the good folk who do this work the $'s to help them do it. By all means be helpful but, like I got told the 1st time I asked for directions in Hanmer "you pay's your $2"

Appreciate what your saying - Have removed the map I posted last year. It was posted a while ago before the new maps became available when the old ones were hopelessly out of date - but I agree its better for people to now get the proper one up there and make a contribution.
grahamt
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Canterbury | Cycling | Hanmer Springs | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | North Canterbury | Regions | Trail Riding - Latest Posts