Re: Big Unit Getting Back Into Cycling

Postby foremannz on Sun 18th Mar 9:48pm

Stick with it buddy, a bike is a great way to exercise.
I'm about 110kg+ and I run my 38c Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires at 80psi front and 90psi rear on my touring bike.
foremannz
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby fatass on Mon 19th Mar 4:39pm

foremannz wrote:Stick with it buddy, a bike is a great way to exercise.
I'm about 110kg+ and I run my 38c Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires at 80psi front and 90psi rear on my touring bike.

Cheers guys, certainly planning on sticking to it. I'm already planning my first weekend away on the bike even though today I was again only able to do the 4.6km route I did yesterday and my legs are still hurting from yesterday. Humble beginnings, but I'll get there.

Love these Marathon Plus tyres, not for speed but for peace of mind. LBS only had one x 35c and a few 28c tyres, so I put the 35 on the back and a 28 up front. Probably not ideal for my weight, but this is what I have for now.
fatass
Member for: 8 months 1 week

Postby fatass on Tue 20th Mar 6:04pm

Oh well, 3 for 3 now... Another flat tyre when I got to the bike this afternoon! 3 rides, 3 punctures.

Looks like the guy at the bikeshop folded the tube when he put the new tyres on as I could see the fold and when I put the tube under water, air bubbles were coming out right by the fold and on the inside of the tube - if it was a piece of glass it would have been the outside.

Anyway, very demoralizing to get a flat with every ride!!! changed tubes myself now and did a 7km ride and hopefully both tyres are still inflated when I get to the bike tomorrow.
fatass

Postby foremannz on Tue 20th Mar 6:48pm

Maybe check the rim for anything inside - there should be a rim tape strip covering all the spoke holes.
foremannz
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Nathan007 on Tue 20th Mar 7:03pm

Have to agree and check the rim tape is covering the spokes properly. It's not normal to get punctures that often even for your size unless your going over rocks or gutters. If you keep puncturing I would get another shop to check the wheel.
I don't run high pressure on my tyres and have no issues. Probably don't roll as fast as could but rims stay straight and I don't get punctures. I like to run 700 x 38 on my cx bike with touring type tyres and have them at about 45psi. Also depends on tyre and rim
Nathan007
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 20th Mar 8:30pm

fatass wrote:You're 140+kgs Nathan? Can't say I've seen anyone else my size on a bike in Auckland. Today on my short ride I heard 2 people at different times laughing out of their car windows as they passed me and I'm pretty sure they were laughing at this chunk of meat on 2 wheels. Good to know there' areother big guys riding out there.

My mum used to giggle at a big dude who started running along her daily commute. 6 months later she was egging him on and giving him the thumbs up. Two years later she was oggling him :D turns out big dudes get buff once the fat goes away.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby fatass on Tue 20th Mar 8:41pm

Thanks guys,

The first two punctures were on the front wheel, this last one on the back wheel - so it's unlikely to be the rim. And I haven't looked inside the front wheel, but the back one which I changed tonight does have the tape.

Look, I'm pretty certain this last one was because the guy folded the tyre. He did tell me that he had a hard time getting these Marathon Plus tyres onto my rims and I can see the bulge on the tube where it had been folded.
And as for the second puncture, as you, Nathan007, said before the hole from the first puncture may have pinched the new tube. I think the guy at the LBS might also have said something about a pinch and told me I shouldn't be jumping off curbs, which of course, I don't.
We'll see from here, I'm pretty confident that now that the tube's been fitted properly on the back wheel, the Marathon Plus tyre will do its job. If I get another puncture on the front, then I'll replace the tube myself and only if I still have problems after that will I worry about exploring other options.
fatass

Cycling - Latest Posts