Big Surprise: Cavendish Named In Gb World Track Squad

Postby bigmig on Tue 17/Mar/09 8:40am

British Cycling today announced the team of 19 riders who will travel to Poland to compete in the UCI Track Cycling World Championships starting on March 25th. The surprise inclusion is Mark Cavendish who had previously said he was finished with track.

Cavendish is never one to undestimate himself, so whatever the reasons are for his track return, he wont be racing just to help out his country; he'll be racing for glory. " I want to be the best and I always want to cross that finish first. I want to be the first no matter who is here or what race I'm in." said Cavendish after his Stage 4 win at the Tour of California. That win was the third of four wins this 2009 season.

more...http://roadcycling.co.nz/TrackTalk/cavendish-back-on-track.html
bigmig
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Re: Big Surprise: Cavendish Named In Gb World Track Squad

Postby Fergie on Tue 17/Mar/09 10:26am

Woot, good on him.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby johnL on Tue 17/Mar/09 12:02pm

he knows where the future is
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby Fergie on Sun 22/Mar/09 4:49pm

Q: You will race the world championships on the track, why?

Mark Cavendish: The reason is it makes me so fast is the leg speed, for sure I get the leg speed from the track. What people don’t see is the fine details I put into my training and my lifestyle to be able to be here. It made sense a little bit on the track to keep my leg speed. For sure, I am doing 100-200km in training, I am getting stronger in the climbs, but there’s no point to get to the finish and not be able to sprint. I don’t gain financially and I don’t get remembered for racing the track, but if you look at the fact it will benefit my road career, if it will keep my legs fast, it makes perfect sense.
Fergie

Postby Tugboat on Sun 22/Mar/09 4:53pm

He hardly needs anymore leg speed training! The way he came around Haussler to win MSR was unbelievable!!! :crazy:
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby istepinyards on Sun 22/Mar/09 4:58pm

Hienrich Haussler is a trackie from way back too
Northern NSW U13 Scratch race champion. Mom's got the newspaper clipping somewhere in my brothers scrapbook.
Had them out at Johnno's wake for a laugh.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Fergie on Sun 22/Mar/09 5:00pm

Payback for Boonen's comments that he (Cav) got dropped on the climbs in Tirreno Adriatic. Boonen lost ground on the climbs.
Fergie

Postby istepinyards on Sun 22/Mar/09 5:03pm

Fergie wrote:Payback for Boonen's comments that he (Cav) got dropped on the climbs in Tirreno Adriatic. Boonen lost ground on the climbs.
Apart from the fact Boonen hit the deck early? Bike was kaput and he had to change it
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts