Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 26/Feb/14 7:04pm

tanadog wrote:BTW, the descent down the gravel road from Waiuta out to where the tar seal starts is as good as it gets - was one of my brevet highlights...


one of mine too, that was a minter bit of gravel road :thumbsup:
pushbikerider
User avatar
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby mfw on Thu 27/Feb/14 8:08am

pushbikerider wrote:
tanadog wrote:BTW, the descent down the gravel road from Waiuta out to where the tar seal starts is as good as it gets - was one of my brevet highlights...


one of mine too, that was a minter bit of gravel road :thumbsup:

+1

But it was more compacted earth than gravel wasn't it?, a great surface (if I'm thinking of the same one).
And a rollercoaster of a descent that seemed to go on forever :love:
mfw
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby Silverback on Fri 28/Feb/14 12:00pm

Interesting to see the times given here for Reefton to Waiuta. I rode through here recently in the Brevet and took about 4.5hrs but some years back did the Quartzopolis Race (which is again on on March22) and from memory was about 2hrs with a puncture. Again from memory the sharp end are all well under 2hrs and the bulk of the field under 3hrs. Its about as dry as it ever gets in there at the moment
Silverback
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby Silverback on Fri 28/Feb/14 5:56pm

Silverback wrote:Interesting to see the times given here for Reefton to Waiuta. I rode through here recently in the Brevet and took about 4.5hrs but some years back did the Quartzopolis Race (which is again on on March22) and from memory was about 2hrs with a puncture. Again from memory the sharp end are all well under 2hrs and the bulk of the field under 3hrs. Its about as dry as it ever gets in there at the moment

Memory is a funny thing when you are a silverback. I found the 2013 results http://www.westcoastadventure.co.nz/fil ... lacing.pdf
Silverback
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 11/Nov/14 3:16pm

anyone ridden what's called the Progress Water Race and then the Big River Inangahua Tracks? is it? rideable - like, ish?

Was just looking at Quigleys Track too but it's disappeared off the newer topos...
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby jo on Tue 11/Nov/14 3:28pm

I rode Big River and Waiuta in the weekned. Loved it muchly. :love:
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby jo on Tue 11/Nov/14 3:56pm

Like this
DSCF0558.JPG
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 13/Nov/14 12:03pm

That part of main Big River track? I know Waiuta is a bit narrower than that...

or is that on the Progress Water Race track or Big River Inangahua Track I asked about???
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby jo on Thu 13/Nov/14 1:06pm

Ah right. Looking at the link http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/parks- ... ochure.pdf
So this picture is part of the Soldiers Rd - Big River. Not Big River Inanghua.
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 13/Nov/14 1:55pm

jo wrote:Ah right. Looking at the link http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/parks- ... ochure.pdf
So this picture is part of the Soldiers Rd - Big River. Not Big River Inanghua.

ah! sweet... from that brochure... big river - inangahua
The journey passes the Golden Lead Battery historic site and joins the Progress Water Race Track, to finish at
the Inangahua Swingbridge Picnic area. Parts of the track are quite steep and become more difficult in wet weather. Rewards include fine views and forest changes plus historic relics including coalmine trams, sawmills, hut sites and a quartz battery

Sounds almost rideable.
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby jo on Thu 13/Nov/14 2:10pm

I've got the mtb reefton brochure at home. I'll have a squizz tonight and let you know if it had any words of warning.
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby jo on Thu 13/Nov/14 2:12pm

http://quartzopolis.co.nz/mountainbiking/
Theres a link about halfway down to the 2012 mtb guide...where they call it a tramping track... :paranoid:
Last edited by jo on Thu 13/Nov/14 2:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
jo
User avatar
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby neels on Thu 13/Nov/14 2:14pm

swtchbckr wrote:ah! sweet... from that brochure... big river - inangahua
The journey passes the Golden Lead Battery historic site and joins the Progress Water Race Track, to finish at
the Inangahua Swingbridge Picnic area. Parts of the track are quite steep and become more difficult in wet weather. Rewards include fine views and forest changes plus historic relics including coalmine trams, sawmills, hut sites and a quartz battery

Sounds almost rideable.

It does, however it doesn't feature on the reefton mountainbiking page on the DOC website, only on the tramping track page. Does that mean they're not telling you to ride it, or telling you not to ride it? :sneaky:
neels
User avatar
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Big River, Reefton

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 13/Nov/14 2:46pm

they're not telling us not to ride it...













which in my book means it's fair game
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | West Coast - Latest Posts

Who is online

48 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 46 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle