Big Bikes Or Small Bikes?

Postby Geordie on Tue 18th Apr 12:00pm

Riding a Yeti sb66c medium at the moment 26inch. Forks need a good service but apart from that the bike is running well. However, over the last few months I have tried a couple of aluminium bikes and for some reason they seem to feel more sure on the ground when flying osver roots and rocks. The bikes I have tried are a Trek fuel ex+ auminium 2017 and a Santa Cruz about 4 year old aluminium. The Trek + was fantastic fun (Glentress in Scotland) and seemed to just lift off the ground on every bump without any effort from me. It jumped well and then landed solidly every time covering up the fact that I can not jump. Even my friends Santa Cruz feels more confident in my efforts to get off the ground. My Yeti feels twitchy and unsure on the landings. Now I know that the skill of the rider is the main issue when it comes to jumping. I have seen the kids at the bike park jumping on everything from full suspension monsters down to a stolen kids trike with tassels on the bars. Bearing that in mind I am starting to wonder if it is the size of the frame as well. I am 5'8" and have always ridden a medium frame. My mates was a large Santa Cruz which I am aware tends to be a bit on the small size for a large so is more like a large medium if that makse any sense at all.

I have also changed to flat pedals to get things moving along which I can see the benefits from. The Yeti is a climbing machine on the way up but it just does not feel as confident when heading down the hill or trying to jump. So all you jumping experts out there please give your opinion. When I am talking about jumps by the way I am talking trail jumps not dirt park stuff. Level 4 stuff no level 5 gap jumps and the like doing the superman. Is it the extra weight of the aluminium frame giving a more confident base for a noob jumper? I expect that the + tires on the Trek had something to do with the way that felt.

Thoughts please?
Geordie
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Re: Big Bikes Or Small Bikes?

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 18th Apr 12:47pm

Check your suspension setup. How's the rebound speed?
Tyre pressure?
General fitting setup?
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby oldandlazy on Tue 18th Apr 2:00pm

The 66 should be great for descending, and a medium is probably not too much shorter than a large Santa Cruz.. I'd agree with starting with tire pressure, but I'd expect it to be suspension tuning and/or maintenance.

How old is the bike, and when (if ever) did it last get the forks and shock serviced? What shock and fork are you running?
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Geordie on Tue 18th Apr 8:35pm

Yup I am currently setting up a full, and I mean full service of forks and rear shock. On the front I have a pair of Pike solo air forks which I am going to be sending off to have a proper full strip down and re-tune. My rear shock will be following its a Rockshox Monarch plus. Hopefully this will sort things out. I have changed all the bearings in the suspension system and stripped and serviced every other part of the bike including the fork lowers and the air can on the rear shock. From feedback I have been given today from an informed source it may be down to the dampener needing to be sorted. Clearly this is something that is beyond my DIY skills and equipment. Fingers crossed that this sorts things otherwise I will just have to be very, very nice to my wife so that I can buy something new and bouncy. Kids don't really need to go to University anyway.
Geordie

Postby AgrAde on Tue 18th Apr 8:41pm

The medium sb66 should be a good fit for you at 5'8". I wouldn't worry about the geometry of the bike. I'm 5'11" and have spend a little bit of time riding a medium sb66 and although I find it short, it's not absurdly so and they're definitely a nice stable balanced trail bike.

I would be concerned about fork stiffness (as in the torsional stiffness not the spring stiffness) and damper setup after hearing you talking about twitchiness and uncertainty on the landings.
Last edited by AgrAde on Tue 18th Apr 8:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby oldandlazy on Tue 18th Apr 8:43pm

Geordie wrote:Yup I am currently setting up a full, and I mean full service of forks and rear shock. On the front I have a pair of Pike solo air forks which I am going to be sending off to have a proper full strip down and re-tune. My rear shock will be following its a Rockshox Monarch plus. Hopefully this will sort things out. I have changed all the bearings in the suspension system and stripped and serviced every other part of the bike including the fork lowers and the air can on the rear shock. From feedback I have been given today from an informed source it may be down to the dampener needing to be sorted. Clearly this is something that is beyond my DIY skills and equipment. Fingers crossed that this sorts things otherwise I will just have to be very, very nice to my wife so that I can buy something new and bouncy. Kids don't really need to go to University anyway.

While you have the shock off, check that the rear suspension moves easily through its travel. If the suspension service doesn't fix it, maybe see if a LBS has a shockwiz for hire?
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Geordie on Wed 19th Apr 10:20pm

Shockwiz?
Geordie

Sifting | Vorb - Latest Posts