Re: Beware The Black Hummer On Dyers Pass Road.

Postby james on Thu 28/Jan/10 9:56am

the lolz have made it worth while, I'd expect cyclists are well down in a long list of people he has crossed.
james
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby taylormade on Thu 28/Jan/10 10:11am

Guilty or not Freeman has shown if you a wankspanner people will bag you, this is not doubt costing him business with the majority of the communitity who are unhappy with how he went about it. But there will be plenty that support him as we "Cyclist's" are known to be rude and flout the road laws when it suits us. I'm not saying it's all of us but the few that do have caused these issues. It's time to take a wee look at how you ride your bike when out on the roads and make sure you are not pissing off other motorists. On my ride this morning there were 3 times where cars and trucks slowed down behind me and waited to pass as the road narrowed to single lanes, each time I gave them a smiley thumbs up and each time I got the same in return. It helped make it an enjoyable ride. It can be done you just have to think about it. :)
taylormade
"60% of the time it works everytime"
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Postby speedystu on Thu 28/Jan/10 10:26am

Couldn't agree more - been on a charm offensive ever since the road nationals - wave cars & trucks through when the road is clear on a narrow bit - smile and wave (madagascar penguin style) and usually you get a positive response back :)
speedystu
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Thu 28/Jan/10 10:40am

I just hope this sort of thing

rik-assaulted-dyers-pass-road-t104096.html

is not a direct result of the cyclist vs cars aggression that has been stirred up by this issue.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 6 years 2 months

Postby Zaphod on Thu 28/Jan/10 10:42am

Noticed his cellphone number was posted on his Tardme account so you could send him random txt's if want to - not that I'd do it myself, but if someone wanted to.... :paranoid:

It does seem Cyclists have had the last laugh though.... for now. If I was his wife (poor thing!) or business partner, I'd be pretty insanely pissed off with him, particularly if business was slow anyway.
Zaphod
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby RF61 on Thu 28/Jan/10 11:07am

Statement from Richard Freeman
Regretfully comments I made in on-line forum session as a bit of a wind up have taken on a life of their own. These comments have been used out of context or have been selectively edited by others with a different agenda, to give them more meaning than their original, strongly worded on-line banter – banter in which others used equally as strong language. I accept I went too far in making those comments and have learned to my cost that there is no such thing as tone or context on-line.
However, people in positions who really should know better, have rushed to judge me based on a few off hand and ill considered remarks. There has been a huge over-reaction to those remarks and I regret that.
I actually do not have a problem with cyclists. Several of my good mates are among those who regularly ride in the area and my own children, like many thousands of other Christchurch children, are regulars on the road. I, like all parents, hate to think they are in danger on our roads from car drivers.
My original point (poorly made) was that just as there are some drivers who behave badly on the road they share with cyclists, there is also a small percentage of cyclists that bring the others into disrepute with their equally arrogant and offensive on-road behaviour.
I suspect it is that small percentage of cyclists who have since made threats against me, my business, my property, my home and my family. I’m sorry that my comments have upset parents and cyclists and brought these threats to my family and business colleagues.
And to those who’ve made those threats please note I’m not the only Hummer driver in Christchurch and the Hummer pictured in The Press yesterday is not the one I drive.
For me this statement brings an end to the matter.
Regards and regrets.
Richard Freeman.
RF61
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby wgtngrl on Thu 28/Jan/10 11:11am

Don't care what thread it's posted in - still not buying it.
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 28/Jan/10 11:17am

ditto
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 28/Jan/10 11:17am

RF61 wrote:Statement from Richard Freeman
Regretfully comments I made in on-line forum session as a bit of a wind up have taken on a life of their own. These comments have been used out of context or have been selectively edited by others with a different agenda, to give them more meaning than their original, strongly worded on-line banter – banter in which others used equally as strong language. I accept I went too far in making those comments and have learned to my cost that there is no such thing as tone or context on-line.
However, people in positions who really should know better, have rushed to judge me based on a few off hand and ill considered remarks. There has been a huge over-reaction to those remarks and I regret that.
I actually do not have a problem with cyclists. Several of my good mates are among those who regularly ride in the area and my own children, like many thousands of other Christchurch children, are regulars on the road. I, like all parents, hate to think they are in danger on our roads from car drivers.
My original point (poorly made) was that just as there are some drivers who behave badly on the road they share with cyclists, there is also a small percentage of cyclists that bring the others into disrepute with their equally arrogant and offensive on-road behaviour.
I suspect it is that small percentage of cyclists who have since made threats against me, my business, my property, my home and my family. I’m sorry that my comments have upset parents and cyclists and brought these threats to my family and business colleagues.
And to those who’ve made those threats please note I’m not the only Hummer driver in Christchurch and the Hummer pictured in The Press yesterday is not the one I drive.
For me this statement brings an end to the matter.
Regards and regrets.
Richard Freeman.
Too little too late. Mr Freeman your comments have tarnished your reputation which may have taken you years to build up but only took a week for you to destroy through your own actions. You took on and abused an entire sub-culture and that won't be forgotten quickly. Reap what you sow, or time to man up and take the punches.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""

Postby nagem on Thu 28/Jan/10 11:19am

I think it's awesome. Takes balls to admit that you made a huge fuck up and then to apologise for it. :thumbsup:
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 28/Jan/10 11:21am

If that is him I can live with that. He's said sorry and I'm down with that. Yes. he's an asshat, wankspanner etc, etc..... but I think he's got the point and paid what is probably a fairly hefty price for saying something stupid.
He lost, we "won". No need to kick a man when he's down just for the sake of it IMHO
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 28/Jan/10 11:33am

nagem wrote:I think it's awesome. Takes balls to admit that you made a huge fuck up and then to apologise for it. :thumbsup:
An email prepared by a lawyer, Balls? Or simply being backed into a corner and forced to recognise that actions have consequences?

I note the apology is qualified and makes an attempt to excuse his actions. IMHO a suitable apology wouldn't have the subtext of "my best friends are cyclists, but the bad ones made me do it". Whatever the justification a LOT of law abiding, couteous road users were threatened and deeply offended.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""

Postby nagem on Thu 28/Jan/10 11:38am

Ok so....I admit that I don't think he has any balls.

[edit] Everyone deserves the opportunity to have an apology accepted though. IMO [/edit]
Last edited by nagem on Thu 28/Jan/10 11:41am, edited 1 time in total.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby neels on Thu 28/Jan/10 11:39am

Hmmm....

Points for fronting and admitting what a cock he as been, perhaps he needs to do this a little more publicly. I don't know if I buy that it was just a windup, sounded a little more serious when he was threatening to knock cyclists off the road, I guess people can make their own minds up about that.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby Zaphod on Thu 28/Jan/10 11:41am

RF61 wrote:Statement from Richard Freeman

Not sure how you can take a comment such as "already put two into the curb etc etc" out of context Richard.

In any case I personally accept your apology, but not your original sentiments as these are clearly heart-felt. Any time I visit the SOT, your earlier comments will leave a sour taste in my mouth, no matter how good the food is. Me or my family will still not visit your establishments EoS.
Zaphod
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts