Best Priced Accom In Whistler - Any Ideas?

Postby mattp on Wed 28/Apr/10 4:22pm

hey, I'm heading of to whistler for a couple of weeks after crankworks and am looking for the best accommodation for cost out there, doesn't need to be flash or dirt cheap but good value for money and bike friendly.

Any ideas, all feedback welcome.

cheers
M
mattp
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Best Priced Accom In Whistler - Any Ideas?

Postby wgtngrl on Wed 28/Apr/10 4:26pm

If backpackers are your thing there's a YHA (edit: that might be a HI hostel - hostelling international, but I think they are yha here) hostel there. It's kind of on the other side of the lake so you'd either need a car or be prepared to do a fair bit of riding to and from each day - but pretty sure there are tracks most of the way. I was lucky and managed to track a friend down when I was there who was living in Creekside.
wgtngrl
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby michael on Wed 28/Apr/10 4:32pm

If you don't mind a 10 or 15 min ride out of town, the UBC hostel is pretty good, facilities for cleaning up your bike, and a lock up for them. probably want to get in pretty early booking a spot though.

The one round the back of the lake is ok, but more like 20-25 mins ride with a bit of a hill, its a pain in the arse after a long days riding, and after dark with bears.
michael
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby mattp on Wed 28/Apr/10 4:37pm

cheers for the feedback, I'd like to stay a bit closer to the village (realizing you pay for it of course!!!), after riding all day I'm guessing I'll be pretty stuffed.
mattp

Postby mattp on Thu 29/Apr/10 7:55am

bump
mattp

Postby mattp on Fri 30/Apr/10 8:40am

any other ideas??
mattp

Postby VERT on Fri 30/Apr/10 8:46am

There is a campground about 15 mins walk down the road from the village that we stayed at, i find out what it was called. They were cheap and close, also close to the trails
VERT
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby thorg on Fri 30/Apr/10 8:51am

wgtngrl wrote:If backpackers are your thing there's a YHA (edit: that might be a HI hostel - hostelling international, but I think they are yha here) hostel there. It's kind of on the other side of the lake so you'd either need a car or be prepared to do a fair bit of riding to and from each day - but pretty sure there are tracks most of the way. I was lucky and managed to track a friend down when I was there who was living in Creekside.
Way back when there def was a YHA hostel on the opposite side of the lake, and the train from Van would stop there on request (line went between hostel and road). I stayed there for close to a month, it was nice. Best part was the sauna, and jumping through the ice into the lake :love: from memory there is a track around the lake on the north side that took you to town, minimal tarmc and about 10-15 mins casual ride. though i was there a LONG time ago, and the development has apparently been exponential.

I would recommend.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby mattp on Mon 3/May/10 11:26am

thanks for that thorg
mattp

Postby AdamMTB on Mon 3/May/10 11:58am

ever couch surfed before? there is just shy of 100 people who do it in Whistler. Sure you could meet up with some local mtb'ers to crash with. Free accommodation and hang out with locals anyone?
AdamMTB
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Canada | North America | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts