Best Powder Coaters In Christchurch

Postby steezld on Mon 26/Apr/10 11:43pm

I know it has been discussed before, but who are the best powder coaters in Christchurch?

I'm looking to get my Viking frame for my fixie coated, but not sure which company to go to. Metaform look pretty pro but I can't find anyone with experience with them. I've heard mixed things about Canterbury powder coaters, that they do a good job but can take aaaaages.

I don't mind paying a more for a better job, definitely rather it look good than get it done on the cheap.

Ta in advance
steezld
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Best Powder Coaters In Christchurch

Postby NZpushbiker on Tue 27/Apr/10 7:39am

try powdertech.
NZpushbiker
"Life is short (think about it)"
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 27/Apr/10 8:38am

Industrial Painters on Hawdon st Sydenham. Do a lot of motorcycle and bike components. Did a very good job on the stuff I had done by them. I had the items (frame, forks stem wheelrims) stripped by Pole Electroplaters in Mowbray Street.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby JohnnyC on Tue 27/Apr/10 10:32am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:Industrial Painters on Hawdon st Sydenham. Do a lot of motorcycle and bike components. Did a very good job on the stuff I had done by them. I had the items (frame, forks stem wheelrims) stripped by Pole Electroplaters in Mowbray Street.

They did my fixie and I was pretty impressed by the job they did
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby stiffeeslicker on Tue 27/Apr/10 10:39am

+1 for Industrial Painters. They stripped my Alloy MTB frame and painted it and it came out very nicely, even in white.
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby brockman on Tue 27/Apr/10 11:07am

+ another for industrial painters - they did a steel frame for me (media blasted it too) and it was a pretty nice job and fairly cheap
brockman
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby steezld on Tue 27/Apr/10 11:38am

Cheers guys thanks for the replies, anyone remember what they paid for it? And will they blast it there too? If so, how much for blast and coat?

Thanks again
steezld

Postby JohnnyC on Tue 27/Apr/10 12:44pm

steezld wrote:Cheers guys thanks for the replies, anyone remember what they paid for it? And will they blast it there too? If so, how much for blast and coat?

Thanks again

I think it was 60 bucks including outsourcing it to get blasted. That was a couple of years a go though.
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby stiffeeslicker on Tue 27/Apr/10 2:22pm

Mine was $100 including an acid bath strip (it was a thin-wall Easton RAD alloy frame so I chose this instead of blasting)
stiffeeslicker

Postby steezld on Tue 27/Apr/10 3:58pm

Just heard back from metaform and they said they will do it for about $40-50, but it would need to come to them pre stripped. These guys sound really nice and have an estimated 3 day turnaround and just generally sound like they'll do a good job so I think I'll go with them.

So then, where's the best place to get it bead blasted or whatever it's called? My frame's steels so I think that blasting is the way to go right?
steezld

Postby danose on Tue 27/Apr/10 4:08pm

steezld wrote:So then, where's the best place to get it bead blasted or whatever it's called? My frame's steels so I think that blasting is the way to go right?

lugged steel? I'd happily blast a lugged frame - don't know about something that tig'd or fillet brazed (and especially not high end steel tubesets like columbus slx - even thinner walled than stiffee's RAD)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby steezld on Tue 27/Apr/10 10:25pm

Yeah it is a lugged frame.
steezld

Postby steezld on Mon 10/May/10 3:30pm

Just as a follow up to this, I went with MetaForm and though I'm sure the result will be good and the service was good, I'm pretty disappointed with them now. After being told it would take 2-3 days initially, after choosing the colour I was told it would take another 6 days. This being the 6th day, one week after taking it in I have called them to ask when it will be done. They said they were JUST STARTING to put the FIRST COAT on. The first out of two, and that it wouldn't be ready til tomorrow. Kind of ridiculous that it will actually only take about 2 days yet they have to have it for 7 days despite having said it would be 2-3. I'll update this when I get it back (who knows whether that will be tomorrow or not).
steezld

Postby musta on Mon 10/May/10 4:21pm

Expect to wait for stuff.
Got to think yours is a small item that isn't bringing much money into the business so they will make larger jobs priority.
I've gone with powdertech for all my stuff, $80 strip and paint. 5 day turn around.
musta
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby stiffeeslicker on Mon 10/May/10 6:15pm

I must admit I was surprised you chose metaform after basically everyone here recommended Industrial Painters or Powdertech instead. Still, I hope you get a good job nonetheless but just occasionally the advice on here is worth taking ;)
stiffeeslicker

Cycling | Fixed Gear - Latest Posts