Best Motorbike Classifieds?

Postby dwgknz on Sun 26/Jan/14 3:18pm

Seems like a few people on here also ride bikes. I've currently got my brother in law over from Canada and he wants to see if he can find a decent Honda VFR400 NC30 to export back there. They were never available in Canada. I know nothing about bikes and Trade Me seems a bit hit and miss, are there better places to look for bikes especially where people are selling reasonable bikes for reasonable amounts?

He used to race and wrench his own bikes so won't have any issues once he gets in front a bike to tell how much it's worth.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Best Motorbike Classifieds?

Postby Kyle on Sun 26/Jan/14 5:51pm

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz although most of the bikes on there will be listed on trademe anyway. Might be a bit cheaper though. Couple of names from here appear over there.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Sun 26/Jan/14 8:31pm

I have an NC30. Mine is the blue roughy: its an ex F3 racebike that I bought for less than the cost of throwing my street bike up the track on a trackday... DAMHIK about those costs. there is a thread on kiwibiker called VFRPS which is VFR Preservation Society. Not as active as it used to be.

Getting a good NC30 will be difficult. I think they've reached their nadir of value and people are hanging on to them speculatively.

You are more likely to get one in Auckland and there are a couple of dealers there that advertise them. That Red Baron in Auckland had one. Having said that, I've rung them a few times and they are flat out fucking liars. "Oh, yearh, nah we sold that last week". I think they leave shit up on tardme as bait then try and switch you to something else. Plus all their shit is at least two grand too dear.

One good thing is that the NC35 is LAMS legal but the NC30 is not. But the 35 has a 17 inch rear wheel and is a bit easier to get modern rubber for.

There are only two for sale on tardme at present. One in Queenstown

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbi ... 270581.htm

asking $4k. That seems OK for what it is. But why buy an old shitter then spend the same again getting it back to Canadia?

The other one is rough as guts.

There are no NC35s for sale at all. At one point last year some dreamer was asking $10k for one. there was a tidy one listed in Chch for $6k last year. I will see if i can dig up the expired listing.

Why does he specifically want an NC30? They have a reputation, sure but its a 20 year old motorcycle and most of them have been raced, rallied and rolled. When new they had 60hp. Most will be less than that now. And if you try and get more powr from them.... well, bring money. Theres that dude in the states that does 434cc kits for them and stuff but then you need head work and if possible an HRC airbox and some Keihin flatslides..... and on and on. A five year old CBR600 will spank it in every meaningful way. Plus they are pricks of things to work on, spares are difficult to get and espensive, and you need tiny loooooong and double jointed fingers to do anything on the fucking things.

Having said that, going well they are a blast to ride. Mine has been upspecced a bit (NC35 rear wheel, Ohlins shock, rebuilt forks)... and I've not ridden it in a year.

He could talk to the guy at Motorcycle Imports Direct about getting one: the guy imports exotica from Japan-land. He's got a couple of REPSOL Aprilia RS250's in there presently (bring money) for example.

http://www.mid.co.nz/

there are a few people around who do the private import thing from Japan too.

Unless he really specifically must have an NC30 my suggestion for undervalued future classics is the tidiest RC51 he can find and the earlier the better. They are under $10k at present and all those motors are stuffed to the gills with HRC goodness. There was a "race only" one which they produced for production racing ie. never road registrable but with chip ECU and stuff sold for $7k on tardme last october. I have no money presently otherwise I would have bought it.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Slim on Mon 27/Jan/14 8:24am

HDC is that you? That was an actual relevant answer with no piss taking. You feeling alright?
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 27/Jan/14 10:50am

Thanks HDC, get a better picture now. His main reason for wanting an NC30 is nostalgia really, he spent the 90s racing an RC30 (which he still has) and just wants one as a road bike to run about on in the summer. It's really about the NC30 and not just getting a bike.

At this stage he just wants to know if he can get a good one and how much, but cost to ship wouldn't bother him too much.

I think getting a straight one would be far more important than one that's running well, he can get spares from the states and canada just not an actual bike. Anything mechanical will likely be rebuilt, he kept his RC30 racing from new until 2000 and then as a privateer was still holding his own against the Canadian Superbike factory teams.

He's traveling around NZ at the moment so will point him in the direction of the one in Queenstown. Other than that he's stuck walking up to someone riding one in the street and rolling out $100 notes until they say yep!
dwgknz

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 27/Jan/14 12:56pm

Having the matched pair would be cool as hell.

I asked on the KB "VFR" thread:

OK the question has been asked on another forum.

Guy wants to buy an NC30 and ship it back to Canadia. I suggested he should buy the tidiest one he can find but there are like two for sale on tardme. One is in Queerstown at $4k: looks OK but only OK. the other is that rough as guts one in Orkers. Guy is here on holiday and tripping about NZ I gather.

So, who knows of good tidy stock NC30's for sizzle my nizzle?
Henry Dorset Case

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 27/Jan/14 12:56pm

Slim wrote:HDC is that you? That was an actual relevant answer with no piss taking. You feeling alright?

It won't last.....
Henry Dorset Case

Postby dwgknz on Mon 27/Jan/14 1:01pm

Cheers HDC
dwgknz

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 4/Feb/14 8:59am

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbi ... 554969.htm

This is back. It was $6k last time it was on.

It *looks* OK: you would ideally want a really close inspection. Lose those awful rim stickers, verify that all the bits are there, see if you can get it for $5k or under.

The fairings and such appear to be correct and all there..... but broken tabs and cracks and scratches dont show tha well in photos.... you would definitely have to see the bike.

:)
Henry Dorset Case

Postby dwgknz on Tue 4/Feb/14 11:15am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-691554969.htm

This is back. It was $6k last time it was on.

It *looks* OK: you would ideally want a really close inspection. Lose those awful rim stickers, verify that all the bits are there, see if you can get it for $5k or under.

The fairings and such appear to be correct and all there..... but broken tabs and cracks and scratches dont show tha well in photos.... you would definitely have to see the bike.

:)

Great thanks HDC pointed him in that direction.
dwgknz

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 4/Feb/14 12:03pm

dwgknz wrote:
Great thanks HDC pointed him in that direction.

No worries. :)

If he needs to source parts (particularly OEM) here are three really good resources: One of the best "old Honda" parts suppliers I have dealt with is Econohonda in Te Aroha (of all places): www.econohonda.co.nz. but they sell all over the world. He has five warehouses and his bits are great. He sends you a microfiche and you order off that: impossible to cock it up.

David Silver Spares out of the UK (and now also in the US) are GREAT to deal with. www.davidsilverspares.co.uk get their facebook feed: David is touring the states buying old inventory out of old m/cycle dealerships.

CMS out of the Netherlands are also good: www.cmsnl.com.

VFRs and in particular NC30's have a cult following in the UK:

400greybike.com

theres another UK one which escapes me which was a bit more VFR specific... also based out of the UK. Oddly the Performance Bikes magazine forum is quite helpful too.

Good luck to him.
Henry Dorset Case

Motorcycles | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts