Best Deli In Chch!

Postby bigJIMMY on Mon 2/Mar/09 11:46am

just wondering, will be stopping off in CHCH for a couple of days. and always like to grab some local fare while i am there.
is there a deli there? would really like something like moore wilsons if there is one as will be shopping to feed quite a few people! :D
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Best Deli In Chch!

Postby Trail on Mon 2/Mar/09 11:52am

Damn, by the heading of this thread i thought you were going to tell us where the best Deli was... I live in Chch and have no idea where the best Deli is!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 2/Mar/09 11:56am

Blax deli corner of Victoria and Durham. While you are there go to the cheese shop over the road.

Ballantynes carry a few deli items (olives, cheeses etc).

Cashmere butchery have deli stuff too.

Mediterranean Warehouse (have the best pizza in town while you are there) Tuam St. Italian stuff.

The deli across from work is quite good too (New York deli Victoria Street)

All of it good, none of it cheap.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby scatter on Mon 2/Mar/09 11:57am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:Blax deli corner of Victoria and Durham. While you are there go to the cheese shop over the road.

:withstupid:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Tama on Mon 2/Mar/09 12:00pm

I'm hungry now :huh:

Ooo... I think you'll find Blax is just around the corner of Montreal and Salisbury: http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&sourc ... 52908,,0,5
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 2/Mar/09 12:04pm

Yep, it's pretty pricy though. The cheese shop is fantastic. Sadly it's closed mondays or I'd go there right now.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 2/Mar/09 12:05pm

we're out of Parmesan at home. Hopefully I can hang out till tomorrow. Barring any Parmesan related emergencies tonight.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Mon 2/Mar/09 7:27pm

I just love the naive enquiry !!
bigJIMMY wrote:is there a deli there?

Not to sound all offended or anything (I'm a north islander by birth and upbringing) but Chch ain't Ekatahuna !! There are bloody deli's everywhere - every second coffeeshop has one next door, pretty much every supermarket has a 'deli' (if you are feeding a crowd might be your best bet) As to which one of the "real delis" is best - those posters above have the best wraps I'm sure. Bon Appetite :p
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Mon 2/Mar/09 9:13pm

ha! Naive? maybe...... But not when it comes to Deli's!
Supermarket Deli's come on, who's the chump? :p When cooking for internationals sometimes quality actually precedes price.

anyone been to Rarefare? from a quick google search they came up, seem quite authentic as far as local produce is concerned.

thanks for the info on the others, i will check them out.
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Postby pedalingkiwi on Tue 3/Mar/09 7:27am

bigJIMMY wrote:Supermarket Deli's come on, who's the chump? :p When cooking for internationals sometimes quality actually precedes price.

I totally expected that response - good to see that food snobbery is alive and well on vorb :p A good match for the bike brand snobbery :p Am salivating at the thought of what you might be concocting bJ - as I said - Bon Appetite :)
pedalingkiwi

Postby bigJIMMY on Tue 3/Mar/09 2:54pm

hope that was not a derek the chef Buon Apppettite :cry:

if your actually interested i will post after.
bigJIMMY

Postby pedalingkiwi on Tue 3/Mar/09 3:36pm

:rolleyes: :exclaim: Heart felt and totally sincere - damned interwebby - sometimes the subtlety of communication just doesn't get through .......
pedalingkiwi

Canterbury | Christchurch | Food | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts