16%
Fox Van 36
63%
other
21%

Total voters : 62

Postby stackhat on Wed 24/Dec/08 8:57am

lyrics...

I have had my U turn Lyrics for a couple of years they have been fantastic, they have been serviced once in that time and are still as smooth as they ever were. They have stacks of control and are very predictable.

These forks have made me a rock shox convert.
stackhat
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby DaViking on Wed 24/Dec/08 9:29am

Did you get your Uturn Lyriks OEM or WWW or local LBS I woz told no Uturn via RS importer otherwise I may have gone that way!

Fox Van is simple in its favor no adj if your not into that stuff, simple to tune, nothing against the RS, loved my PIKE 454 !

I rec the Van out of what's available here, and the service available here in NZ!
If the uturn is now being brought in then tough call, take ya pick!

Simplicity! Van! Adjustability Lyrik! damping poss Lyrik too, I'm always impressed by RS std damping over Fox! But some tweaking can fix that in Fox's favor which is simple to dosamc an be said for RS !

:thumbsup:
DaViking
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 24/Dec/08 12:40pm

fully rate my lyrics, have mission control solo airs which i converted to uturn. much nicer with a coil.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby HoLlYwOoDeR on Wed 24/Dec/08 1:32pm

DaViking wrote: Did you get your Uturn Lyriks OEM or WWW or local LBS I woz told no Uturn via RS importer otherwise I may have gone that way!

Fox Van is simple in its favor no adj if your not into that stuff, simple to tune, nothing against the RS, loved my PIKE 454 !

I rec the Van out of what's available here, and the service available here in NZ!

Simplicity! Van! Adjustability Lyrik! damping poss Lyrik too, I'm always impressed by RS std damping over Fox! But some tweaking can fix that in Fox's favor which is simple to dosamc an be said for RS !

Thats a lot of exclamation marks!!!!
HoLlYwOoDeR
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 24/Dec/08 1:33pm

HoLlYwOoDeR wrote:
DaViking wrote: Did you get your Uturn Lyriks OEM or WWW or local LBS I woz told no Uturn via RS importer otherwise I may have gone that way!

maybe he's excited

Thats a lot of exclamation marks!!!!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby stackhat on Wed 24/Dec/08 3:08pm

My lyriks were OEM, came on the 07 scott ransom. I think you're right through the U-turns were not brought in via RS... god knows why not, but you can convert to coil as Shmoodiver has.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stackhat
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Best 160mm Do It All Coil Fork

Postby Mr_Bob on Fri 9/Jan/09 4:41pm

*dredge*

I'm looking at new forks, I like the reliability of coil
Main features I'm looking for are:
Travel adjust
rebound and adjustable compression (never been a huge fan of lockout, but not ruling that option out.

Lyrik U turn or Marzo 55 are the two that I'm looking at.....

Advice?
They will be replacing a pair of Manitou Sherman/Nixon hybrid forks.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 9/Jan/09 4:43pm

lyric u turns FTW!!!!!
shmoodiver

Postby james on Fri 9/Jan/09 4:52pm

Mr_Bob wrote:I'm looking at new forks, I like the reliability of coil

LOLZ
james
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Fri 9/Jan/09 4:57pm

james wrote:
Mr_Bob wrote:I'm looking at new forks, I like the reliability of coil

LOLZ

Shaddup :hmmm:

They are nearly 4 years old

Or, Option 3 is a pair of 09 Nixon Elite forks :p
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Spokes on Fri 9/Jan/09 4:59pm

09 Nixon.........
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 9/Jan/09 6:19pm

Mr_Bob wrote:*dredge*

Travel adjust
rebound and adjustable compression (never been a huge fan of lockout, but not ruling that option out.

Advice?

09 Marzo FTW :blush:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Chickenman on Fri 9/Jan/09 6:38pm

Mr_Bob wrote:*dredge*

Travel adjust

Advice?

I say Lyrics :p

But then of course I would!
Chickenman
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby radiusq on Fri 9/Jan/09 7:09pm

It's probably about time I wrote an update on bike. I've had around a dozen rides or so on it now. Mostly on the Port Hills, but I've also had a couple of rides out at Wharfedale and Hanmer.

I've only ridden three full suspension bikes for any length of time to make a comparison against - Marin Mt Vision 2000 (Single pivot monocoque), Specialized Stumpjumper 2005, Giant Trance 2006.

It took a while to dial in the suspension, the rear end in particular required me to be pretty precise with the air pressure to get the feel right. The fork was much easier to set up. It feels great no matter how I set it. I've opted to run a bit of low-speed compression to remove out of seat pedal wallowing - about 8clicks, and zero high speed compression. It probably took about 3-4 rides really to get the suspension set up correctly.

Out on the trail, the first thing that became apparent is how solid the front end felt. This is despite the jump from 110mm travel on the Recon to 160mm on the VAN RC2. I guess moving to a 20mm thru axle has a lot to do with this. I'm running the medium spring in the fork (I'm 84kgs) and find it pretty firm - as firm as running the black spring in my RS Recon anyway. This is good, as it's how I like it. I don't need to run any preload to get appropriate sag.

To me, trail riding is primarily about enjoying the downs and fast sections. I view climbing as earning credit for riding downhill. I therefore don't enjoy the ups, but I will partake. Occasionaly I may not totally dislike a technical uphill challenge, but enjoy would be too strong a word. That said the bike pedals well uphill. I think pedal response is probably a bit better than the Trance. There is only the slightest seated pedal bob without propedal. It's removed almost completely with propedal set to 1, and on 2-3 setting it feels like a hardtail. However, the slack head angle at the frontend does make the bike wander more than the Trance ever did. I don't notice the extra weight (I think in total it's about 2-300gms heavier). Overall, it probably climbs a little worse than the Trance, but not by a million miles.

I never bought the bike for riding uphill. For me it's all about the downs and I'm not disappointed. I've set the bike up to be plush, running 30% sag at the rear and 25% at the front (40mm). This immediately irons out most small trail features. Braking bumps no longer exist. At high speed the bike just holds traction, even through bumpy corners. The bike feels very stiff and stable. I'm still getting used to it, and so on a number of occasions I've got it wrong. This is where I've had glimpses of it's potential. I've hit a couple of big bumps and rocks square on and the bike has took it without bucking me off. I've now ridden through a couple of rocking sections at speed letting the bike choose it's line. I definitely would not have got a way with that on the Trance:)

12 rides in and I'm still getting accustomed to it. I've already ridden a couple of jumps and lines that I hadn't previously. I'm riding down through Vic park faster than I ever have, and I've still yet to really 'know' the bike. I'm eyeing up jumps and drops that were previously off limits. In a nutshell, I love this bike. It's by far the best I've ever owned. I'm still very much learning how to ride it, and finding it's boundaries (which are currently a lot higher than mine).

I can't really say how good it is, but can only compare it to what I've ridden. I think it's the bike for me, it really suits the kind of riding that I'm into and ultimately that's what I bought it for. I'm totally happy with it. The only thing that anoys me about it that there's a bit of chain slap going on during descents. The drive side chainstay is already covered by a factory installed inner tube. However, the chain slap that's occuring is at the only part of the chainstay that isn't covered. Anyway, I've just DIY'd a fix for this but it looks a bit ghetto. There's nothing else I can really fault with it.
Last edited by radiusq on Fri 9/Jan/09 9:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 9/Jan/09 8:51pm

lyrics are cost effective, have a travel adjust system that is so simple it wont poo poo itself, feel fantastic, are nice and light, have fantastic damping, have a maxle, are rockshocks, you can service them yourself, look nice, perform fantastically, aren't manipoo (sorry bob) the list goes on... :love:
shmoodiver

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts