Postby Dinsy on Sat 27/Dec/03 2:41pm

bender gets credit for being the first, but doesnt get any more than that, the guys a hack basically, there are so many better riders out there that are doing shit bigger and tech-er than him with a hell of alot more style.
Dinsy
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby moses on Sat 27/Dec/03 2:48pm

name some people thaT hav attemptd that drop or a bigger one
moses
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Dinsy on Sat 27/Dec/03 2:51pm

No one, cuz people like wade and klassen arnt stupid

also, bender didnt land that drop so you cant even consider it when comparing riders.
Dinsy

Postby chrisnz on Sat 27/Dec/03 3:02pm

at least he gave it a goo he land's them every now and then, so just shut up u wouldn't try them.

do u think its possible to land a 75 foot drop hmmmmm mayb id like to c it :)

good on him i say that guys got sum skill even tryin them drops :crazy:
chrisnz
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Dinsy on Sat 27/Dec/03 3:16pm

chrisnz wrote:at least he gave it a goo he land's them every now and then, so just shut up u wouldn't try them.

what are you like 12 years old?

who cares if I wouldnt try them, I find drops boring.
Dinsy

Postby nothingsfree on Sat 27/Dec/03 3:34pm

Dinsy wrote:
chrisnz wrote:at least he gave it a goo he land's them every now and then, so just shut up u wouldn't try them.

what are you like 12 years old?

w3rd...
nothingsfree
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby barracuda_butcher on Sat 27/Dec/03 3:35pm

Dinsy wrote:
oh come on dinsy, dropping gutters are exxtreme :thumbsup:

but techs where its at
barracuda_butcher
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby nothingsfree on Sat 27/Dec/03 3:57pm

"but techs where its at..."

Damn straight!!
nothingsfree
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby MikeD on Sat 27/Dec/03 5:22pm

How do you guys know Bender so well? Because you watched some videos? Just *perhaps*, he does have a life or character besides what you've seen through that pretty narrow window.

They show those stupid-big hucks because that's what sells videos. Wookie can tell you that we rode one of Bender's trails in Virgin, and it's NOT just big hucks; in fact, except for an optional line at the end. it's just incedibly techy, fun riding...all on the exposed lip of a HUGE cliff the whole way down (I guess that's where the big drops come in...). Made me shit my pants, I'll tell ya. (the cliff exposure, that is...the trail was very challenging to me, but I think I could have picked my way through a lot better if there hadn't been the constant threat of the off-camber slide into oblivion. Apparently Bender, V-Dub, and a few other Utah guys just RIP down it, which is frightening.)

I've spoken to the guy as well, and he's got a lot more skill and range as a rider than most would imagine; still kind of an out-there personality, which they definitely magnify on the videos as well. It sure takes an out-there personality to do most of what he does.

Yeah, he's a willing (paid) participant in those videos, but he's not the editor and probably doesn't think or give a crap about the image they give him on-tape, so long as someone's paying him to ride. I'd be the same way if someone offered me the chance to do that.

Sure, he is NOT as stylie or skilled a rider as a bunch of the other freeriders out there; I think his Rampage results speak for that. Still, he's a better rider all-round that 99.9% of us ever will be, and was definitely an OG, so to speak. And we can't know him or judge him as a person from what we see in a few videos, for sure.

The constant debate around Bender reminds me of the people who talked about how OJ Simpson could NEVER have committed murder...guilty or not, these people thought they personally knew the guy just because they'd grown up watching him play ball on TV. (forgive the Seppo sports reference if you don't know what I'm talking about...but something tells me you do.)

(And I'd still rather watch a lot of other guys on tape than see another big ass rigamarole surrounding a huge cliff drop...)

-MD
MikeD
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Francis on Sat 27/Dec/03 10:21pm

OK...

Hucking that drop DOES prove that he has balls.

Hucking that drop DOES NOT prove that he has skill.

All that it takes takes to ride off a cliff is the ability to ride a bike. Skill is proved by hucking drops and NOT crashing at the bottom. Having said that, the fact that he botched the landing doesn't neccesarely mean he has no skill, even the best riders crash.

I don't know much about this guy, all I am doing is stating what can and can not be proved by unsucessfully hucking a massive drop.
Francis
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Benders Bike

Postby Crnkin on Sun 11/Jan/04 6:40pm

Dinsy wrote:
konaRiDeR wrote:Who knows what bender rides

Does he still ride this Karpiel.

No and who cares?

obviously not dinsy. kook.
Crnkin
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Dinsy on Sun 11/Jan/04 11:59pm

if you had come up with that yourself Id have been mildly impressed, but no, you had to rehash somthing I said.
Dinsy

Postby dirtmuncher on Mon 12/Jan/04 12:21am

MikeD wrote:How do you guys know Bender so well? Because you watched some videos? Just *perhaps*, he does have a life or character besides what you've seen through that pretty narrow window.

why can't all americans be like you mike? do the world a favour, run for pres.
dirtmuncher
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Crnkin on Mon 12/Jan/04 11:05am

Dinsy wrote:if you had come up with that yourself Id have been mildly impressed, but no, you had to rehash somthing I said.

muahaha

ahhhh copycatism :D
Crnkin
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby MikeD on Mon 12/Jan/04 11:35am

dirtmuncher wrote:
MikeD wrote:How do you guys know Bender so well? Because you watched some videos? Just *perhaps*, he does have a life or character besides what you've seen through that pretty narrow window.

why can't all americans be like you mike? do the world a favour, run for pres.

Thanks for the compliment, I think...

But you'll notice there are a lot of Kiwis, as well, who don't seem to be up to our standards of savvy... (And Euros, and Asians, and Canadians, and, well, you get the idea...)
MikeD
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts