Re: Belmont Trails

Postby Derryn Hinch on Wed 10/Jun/09 10:53pm

Lighten up GT, these forums would be pretty boring if we all agreed with each other.

I wasn't intending any comment on the gear involved, more the method of propulsion. I guess I'm just old school and think that riding a bike should involve some sitting on the saddle and turning the pedals. :)

Each to their own
Derryn Hinch
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Wed 10/Jun/09 11:49pm

one_uknw wrote:Not a big deal imo. Frequently see cruisy as roadies out on sifty rides in full hard out kit on ridiculous trick bikes, riding at barely jogging pace

Hey, are you stalking me? :paranoid:
Oli
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby one_uknw on Thu 11/Jun/09 7:44am

Oli wrote:
one_uknw wrote:Not a big deal imo. Frequently see cruisy as roadies out on sifty rides in full hard out kit on ridiculous trick bikes, riding at barely jogging pace

Hey, are you stalking me? :paranoid:

:rolleyes:
one_uknw
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby DaveAldred on Thu 11/Jun/09 10:23am

p3Jumpsta wrote:hay derryn hinch.its called sessioning....

When I go riding I mostly just ride, and when I come across a good tech downhill, I just down it and keep going. Sometimes I might fall off. When I was younger, we used to stop and take turns on tricky drops and descents, 'sessioning' them and having lots of fun. I really don't think I am any more skilled now than I was 15 years ago. I think I need to go riding with the intention to 'session' parts of some of the trickier tracks. I bet I would get better and find optimum lines etc. Would be easy to find company for this. I am on a team with several technically inept punters who would benefit from it too. [cough] Angry Clive [cough cough].

Derryn Hinch wrote:I guess I'm just old school and think that riding a bike should involve some sitting on the saddle and turning the pedals. :) Each to their own

I think that opinion is a bit dated, but each to their own like you say. I couldn't do it to save my life, but my favourite type of riding is free-riding and especially the dirt jumping. But I don't do it. If I had the guts to get into dirt jumping. my xc bikes would be long gone. I love watching the DVDs like the NWD series and the Collective. The riding is mind blowing. I'd be over the moon if I could simply clear a small double jump. Let alone do back flips off cliffs.

I think that riding a bike should involve some of whatever blows your skirt up.

I'm working from home today with a cold. Wouldn't normally waffle on like this.
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Colin on Thu 11/Jun/09 10:27am

DaveAldred wrote: [cough] [cough cough].

I'm working from home today with a cold.

Yep
Colin
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby ryda on Thu 11/Jun/09 12:37pm

DaveAldred wrote: Wouldn't normally waffle on like this.
:hmmm:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby UnimatrixZero on Sun 14/Jun/09 9:02am

DaveAldred wrote:I love riding in Belmont park.

I did think the slide was a steep and quite difficult descent in the woods. This video seems to just show the easy top section of trail that the PNP XC race used last year. Granted we didn't do the jump (at least I certainly didn't).

Can someone sort me out here? Was the slide in that vid?

I rode Big Weta the other day and bought the farm when I failed on a slick clay patch on a rh small chute shortly after the wooden bridge. When i got up and dusted my sorry self off, I noticed I was at the foot of what looked like a very hard descent, at least for an XC rider. I would have been hard pushed to clean it or even try it unless conditions were dry and perfect. I was expecting that to be the Slide and be in the vid.

Sorry for my confusion!

Where's a good map of these tracks? I have a PDF from a govt website, but it has no MTB track names. Anyone know if there's a bette one?
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."

Postby wachtourak on Sun 14/Jun/09 9:18am

http://tracks.org.nz/area/show/11

Very good website. He's just modified it recently it would seem, so that if you load a particular track it shows that track in red, and other tracks in the vicinity in yellow, so it's easy to see where they link up and stuff. If you want, you can download the track kml files and load them all into google earth too
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby iodi on Sun 14/Jun/09 9:20am

AndyMakara wrote:Where's a good map of these tracks? I have a PDF from a govt website, but it has no MTB track names. Anyone know if there's a bette one?

It's all at www.tracks.org.nz
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby iodi on Sun 14/Jun/09 9:24am

wachtourak wrote:http://tracks.org.nz/area/show/11

Very good website. He's just modified it recently it would seem, so that if you load a particular track it shows that track in red, and other tracks in the vicinity in yellow, so it's easy to see where they link up and stuff. If you want, you can download the track kml files and load them all into google earth too

You beat me to it.

And yes, we've just added a feature that shows multiple tracks per map - makes it much easier to see a track in the context of those around it.

If anyone has suggestions for improvements to the site, or to report a bug, please go to the features section.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby UnimatrixZero on Sun 14/Jun/09 9:58am

wachtourak wrote:http://tracks.org.nz/area/show/11

Of course! I'm a dumbass.

Thanks.
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."

Postby r-y-d-a on Sun 14/Jun/09 7:53pm

mint vid:)
r-y-d-a
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby bevsta on Wed 17/Jun/09 3:12pm

your my idol stephen
bevsta
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby MOONEY on Thu 18/Jun/09 9:41pm

bevsta wrote:your my idol stephen

just so ya no bev my name spelt wiv a v not a ph and when r ya gonna pay the shop back cause it's been a while mate......
MOONEY
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby pinkmaggit on Thu 18/Jun/09 10:09pm

yea mate. pay the shop back.
pinkmaggit
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Lower Hutt | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts